follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List
go_a_way1, KR-S, Tcoat

Old 01-19-2016, 04:51 PM   #85
mdm
not a twin owner

Drives: 2016 Veloster Turbo DCT
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyarzee View Post
It's been tested, proven, and taught at all driving schools.
Like I implied somewhere above, that does not necessarily prove anything. Driving schools also teach a non-optimal method of setting side mirrros. Heck, my drving school back in the previous century taught me to parallel park in a way that wouldn't translate to any other car. They taught me to pass the exam in the particular car, not to drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyarzee View Post
your arms are not sufficient to hold yourself into a correct position during an inclement event in a moving vehicle.
This is an interesting argument, I'll definitely give it more thought. As I said, I haven't noticed it to be an issue in emergency situations so far. But possibly thing may different in other situations.

In the meantime, thanks to all of you who responded to my actual question - but it was also interesting to read all answers that were off topic.

By the way, looks like my position is not so uncommon:
http://jalopnik.com/why-you-should-b...foot-434604934

Last edited by mdm; 01-19-2016 at 05:24 PM.
mdm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mdm For This Useful Post:
whataboutbob (01-19-2016)
Old 01-19-2016, 04:54 PM   #86
mdm
not a twin owner

Drives: 2016 Veloster Turbo DCT
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fumanchu1 View Post
You asked what was the negatives of such technique and it's been illustrated by many as to what they are.
Once again, I did not ask about that. I asked is there anything specific to the FRS/BRZ that would preclude using this technique in this car.

But reading all negative opinions on the technique itself was interesting too.
mdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 04:55 PM   #87
Nickosport

Drives: 2015 WRB BRZ Premium
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
If you are 16 and use both feet on your driving test will they still pass you?

But seriously, even if you are lazy, how much MORE effort does it take to use both feet rather than just one. I don geddit.
Old 01-19-2016, 05:00 PM   #88
Twin4Life

Drives: '14 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Grand Touring
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
And "So guys, I crashed Twin" thread in 3....2....1....
Twin4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Twin4Life For This Useful Post:
86kahl (01-19-2016), Choco (01-21-2016), KR-S (01-19-2016), softgrip (01-19-2016), soulreapersteve (01-19-2016), Tcoat (01-19-2016)
Old 01-19-2016, 05:03 PM   #89
Uplink

Drives: anything you let me
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdm View Post
I suspect this might be a "common knowledge" that just persists without being properly studied. Sort of like setting your side mirrors: even driver's manuals say that you should see the back of your car. But it is wrong, you don't really need to see your car, you know where it is anyway. You should set the side mirrors as far out as possible as long as the field of view barely overlaps with the inside mirror's field of view. This way you have maximum coverage and minimum blind spots. Of course, like with left-foot braking, you have to retrain your brain a bit, and use the inside mirror also to check the side lanes. But there is net advantage, and there was a SAE paper about that in 1995, yet only recently this knowledge slowly started to trickle into general knowledge.
@common knowledge Kinda like 2 cars traveling towards each other at 50mph do not equal a 100mph collision on either party as driving school teachers always told us. Thank you mythbusters!
Uplink is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Uplink For This Useful Post:
mdm (01-19-2016)
Old 01-19-2016, 05:04 PM   #90
KR-S
Sporadic Member

Drives: 2016 Halo FR-S M/T
Thanked 3,552 Times in 1,746 Posts
Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 33 Thread(s)
You know what, I'm just gonna eat some popcorn here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HueyLooie View Post
Nah, homes. It's your dadda's hot goopey goop.
KR-S is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KR-S For This Useful Post:
86kahl (01-19-2016)
Old 01-19-2016, 05:05 PM   #91
whataboutbob
AutoX-10/10ths every run

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S AT Firestorm
Thanked 1,831 Times in 996 Posts
Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uplink View Post
Not necessarily true. You can LFB in a manual too, albeit slightly more difficult not hitting the clutch if you have big feet/shoes.

LFB can be used to balance the car or set weight where you need it while keeping the RPM's up regardless of transmission, as well as simply for stop and go driving. Many top Autocrossers will LFB.
FINALLY someone who knows the right reason.

[ Delicioustuning | Counterspacegarage | RS-R USA | Cusco USA | SPL Parts | ACE Header | Stark Performance | Infinite Motion | Ciro Racing | Build thread:Here ]
[ GR Corolla Core in White w/LSDs on wish list ]
whataboutbob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to whataboutbob For This Useful Post:
Uplink (01-19-2016)
Old 01-19-2016, 05:09 PM   #92
xFury

Drives: '16 Scion FR-S - Oceanic
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
To answer the OP question, there is no difference. Its really similar on all cars.I used to do that when I first started driving in general and quickly stopped doing it, since I noticed that I was riding the brake pedals even tho it doesn't feel like it, and it jerks and stuff a lot. Plus it wouldn't be ideal in case of emergency, even tho some of the newer car has those safety tech that would somewhat (Wouldn't rely on it) stop the car from accel when both are pressed, on Toyota its called the "Smart Stop Technology (SST)".
xFury is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to xFury For This Useful Post:
mdm (01-19-2016)
Old 01-19-2016, 05:09 PM   #93
Uplink

Quote:
It's just that the majority of posters, instead of responding to my actual question (like "I don't know, I would never do that anyway", or just not responding at all) started to pile up on me telling me that left-foot braking is bad in general. Not what I asked about!
See also: Internet.
mdm (01-19-2016)
Old 01-19-2016, 05:16 PM   #94
Uplink

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterSheep View Post
I left for lunch and came back. Popping popcorn right now
I'm just happy there's so much activity going on. Forum's been pretty quiet for the winter. We needed this.
Old 01-19-2016, 05:19 PM   #95
Uplink

Quote:
Originally Posted by NARFALICIOUS View Post
I can't believe you've been villified this much. Just goes to show how small minded some people are. Yes, most people who do left foot braking are terrible but that doesn't mean he is. Ask one question, get an answer for something different.
Right?! Because clearly the issue is that he's buying a twin with an AT.

Just kidding @mdm trying to lighten the mood here.
mdm (01-19-2016)
Old 01-19-2016, 05:32 PM   #96
Uplink

Quote:
Originally Posted by finch1750 View Post
Read up on ice mode. I havent done a ton of reading but it seems like left foot braking tends to induce it more (no guarantee of this and its mostly related to performance driving not sure about DD).

Also the Pedal Dance would disable all traction/stability aids AND also NOT get rid of ice mode
So, I can tell you from personal experience, in certain situations the pedal dance is required. Case in point, diving into the toe of the boot at WGI where you have a handful of camber and you're heading into the hillside for more mechanical grip when the car decides (even though VSC/TC is "OFF") you're turning too much too fast and starts straightening you out towards the outer armco. Not a pleasant feeling.
Fast forward to the same corner after PD and the lap timer showing higher speeds, better sector times, and a confident warm-fuzzy in the driver.

As far as Ice Mode, I've experienced it only twice getting a little overzealous in AX with LFB, rotation, and trying to keep the RPM's up. Best guess, the problem compounds when turning because the wheels are naturally rotating at different speeds that the computer has to account for, add in the G's and yaw sensor inputs, sprinkle with throttle position sensor and poof... *BSOD*

Again, all the above is not street driving, just an example that the computer does not always know best.

Now back to your regularly scheduled thread...
Old 01-19-2016, 05:33 PM   #97
NWFRS

Drives: ‘13 FRS
Thanked 1,502 Times in 634 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Again, if anyone can link to an actual study about probability of pedal mix-up for left-foot brakers comapred to righ-foot breakers, I'd love to see it.
We'll get right on that.

Right after we've finished researching the VTX trim level...
NWFRS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NWFRS For This Useful Post:
Cole (01-19-2016)
Old 01-19-2016, 05:49 PM   #98
Uplink

Quote:
Originally Posted by justatroll View Post
The simplest answer: POSITIVE feedback.
"Normal drivers" resist the tendency of your body moving forward by pressing the left foot against the dead pedal.

What happens when your left foot is on the brake pedal and you begin to apply the brake?
Body's tendency to move forward - body attempts to resist movement by pushing back with the feet.
What are you now pushing against? - The brake!
Brakes get applied harder, body resists motion harder pressing on the foot! MORE BRAKES!
It is called positive feedback, and any control system engineer knows THIS IS BAD!
So there's only one flaw with that theory. The seatbelts are designed to lock under braking so your body doesn't travel forward. Otherwise they wouldn't work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justatroll View Post
But go ahead and do it however you like.
Just, please, do one experiment for me:
As you are "two footed driving" down the road, please tell me what happens when you reach down and pull up on the seat adjustment lever in the front of the driver's seat.
Then report back.
This actually works fine. Your heel should be resting on the floor (since smaller muscle groups like the ankle are much faster to actuate than larger ones like your quads) and most seat rails have a decline to the slider mechanism. When you click the seat release you tighten your hamstring a little and you don't move at all, even while travelling down the road. Add to that, you can get slight braking simultaneously by rolling your heel forward.