follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Member's Car Journals

Member's Car Journals Car journals by our members.

User Tag List

Old 01-31-2015, 06:20 PM   #1
Kiske

Drives: RX-7 / BRZ
Thanked 2,501 Times in 1,081 Posts
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
2013 Turbo Breezy...

The car. 2013 BRZ Limited 2.0 6MT

Name:  11891234_380110562164114_739958784336028301_n.jpg
Views: 3722
Size:  93.5 KB

Engine/Drivetrain
-Full Blown Motorsports Turbo Kit GT2871r
-PTP Lava Turbo Blanket
-550cc injectors and 270 walbaro fuel pump
-Perrin Big 3.0" Resonated Stainless Catback Exhaust
-JDL Mid Pipe
-Perrin 2.5 Overpipe
-FBM Radiator with 12" Spal Fans
-Radium Oil Catch Can
-Fast Turbo Vaccuum Manifold Kit w/Brass Fittings
-Omin 4-Bar MAP Sensor
-KraftWerks/Skunk2 Washer Fluid Resivior
-MAPerformance 1/8" Oil Galley Plug Adaptor (for Oil Temp Sensor)
-EcuTek Cable Kit and License
-OMNI 4 Bar Map Sensor
-HRI Tuning/Jamesm custom tune /inprogress
-Infamous Performance Electronic Boost Control Solenoid
-Exedy Stage 2.5 Clutch and Lightweight Flywheel. 3-Puck 'New Version'
-MTEC Shift Springs
-TRD USDM Quick Shifter
-OEM Oil Cooler (2015 Forester Ver.)
-FBM Oil Cooler (with Setrab Core and Mishimoto Sandwhich Plate.)
-Fumoto oil drain valve

Interior
-Aclantra Wrapped, single piece modified dash trim
-JDM BRZ Ts GunMetal OEM Interior Trim Set.
-AU BRZ [Base Trim Over-seas] Black T/C Buttons.
-AU BRZ [Base Trim Over-seas) Black Steering Wheel Trim
-Perrin Stainless 6MT Slim Shift Knob
-JPM aclantara w/red stitching guage cluster hood
-DSG Performance 'Forever Driven' (1-off custom) OEM-Spec Dual Pillar Pod
-Tanabe Revel OLED gauges (Oil Temp and Boost)
-OEM European GT86 Center Console Armrest Cover
-JDM GT86 Framless Crystal Rear-View Mirror
-WeatherTech floor liners

Exterior
-OEM Subaru Rear Diffuser
-Bayson R's ABS (ChargeSpeed Style) Front Lip, Side Skirts and Rear Spats
-Perrin 4" Shorty Antenna
-JDM Brz Ts Fender Garnishes
-Custom GT-R Spoiler w/3rd brake light
-Shaved OEM Limited Decklid
-TOM's JDM-Spec Tailights (no included sidemarker lights)
-MoveOver Racing's quick release bumper latches.
-Grimspeed Hood Struts.
-Custom Sti inspired front end with shaved emblem and sidemarkers

Wheels/Suspension
-[Winter Setup] OEM wheels with Blizzak WS-80's
-[Summer Mode] 18" WedsSport SA-72R, Gunmetallic
-Hawk BTC-60 Brake Pads (front and back)
-Perrin 19mm front sway bar
-FT-86 Speed Factory's Front Strut Tower Brace Version 2

Previous Mods
-Perrin 2.5" Resonated Catback Exhaust
-HKS Drop-In Air Filter
-Perrin Oil Cooler
-Tinted OEM Tailights (BlackCherry)
-Chrome OEM Fender Trim
-USDM Style, Flat Clear Side Marker Lights
-JDM Sti Clear Sidemarkers w/ OLM's white led kit

Upcoming
-Suspension! Coils?
-Stoptech Slotted Rotors and Stainless Brake Lines
-FBM Fan Shroud
-Touge Factory's 'Todoroki' wide 30mm front fenders
-Custom Front Bumper (inprogress)
-Varis Arising 1 Hood. (December 2015)
-AeroCatch's locking, flush mount hood pins
-P3 Vent Gauge Combo
-Moto-East felx fuel kit/E85/supporting mods!

So pretty much broke 4 life...

Last edited by Kiske; 05-14-2016 at 08:46 PM.
Kiske is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kiske For This Useful Post:
Inextirpable (02-01-2015), swarb (11-09-2015)
Old 01-31-2015, 06:25 PM   #2
Kiske

I've really, really been meaning to make one of these but, never got around to it. A local friend has once again pressured me into making on of these darn build logs. I'll be slow to upload as I have sd cards of pictures from each project until now I may get this journal up to date soon.

02C WRB! Really this is probably the only time I ever will likely have a Subaru and this is my go to color for it! Really though the 86 twins don't look bad in any factory color though. Long story short this is my *second brz* after preordering the car that showed up was incorrect. So I had to re-find another one!

Delivery day was a good day. Imediatly took it for a spin, washed and waxed her. The first day was a blast I've never had so many people come up and ask about the new car. I was kinda shocked how many people didn't know of the twins.

The car she replaced, my beloved FC3S, fully 'restored' and built by myself. But, going from a 2 car daily/project setup to 1 car, the BRZ is hard to beat.

One week later I had already stained her. Mods began starting with a full chargespeed styled lip kit, skirts and spats complementing my diffuser.

I grew to hate the stock tailights and planned to tint them as I've done on my past cars. I had an idea to not tint them solid black but a dark red. Turned out pretty good and a few members even wanted them done. A buddy called it "Black Cherry." Black in the shade and red in the sun.

I rocked this for about 2 days until I saw the JDM TOM's lights. Jumped on the pre-order group buy and then sold my OEM lights soon as the TOMS hit the door. Tom's JDM tailights installed.

That weekend my plates arrived. "No Torque"

Parents always have to 1up ya... sold my mom on the Vette. Could not let her buy a Infinity G35!

Started tackeling a few interior pieces with some JDM goodies. First up was trim japan's BRZ tS (tuned by sti,) the euro oem GT86 armrest, black buttons from the Austrailian Brz base trim and JPM Coachwork's gauge cluser hood w/red stitching! Lastly ordered a roll of alcantara suede from Overland Designs that matched the BRZ's factory materials.

Close up of the tS parts. Turns out there more of a metallic black/gunmetal than the base black austrailian parts.

Clean car (for someone who works in a bodyshop all day/night.)

Finished up the year with a perrin 2/5 exhaust and antenna. Which I then ended up removing for their 3.0 setup after deciding to go FI.

Winter had set and I thought I was done for the year until I saw a Japanese GT86 with what appeared to be a GT-R spoiler. After much talking [http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7835] and nay-sayers...
Challenge Accepted

Loving this kind of work, I dug my heels in. Not afraid. I've messed up worse shit with fiberglass in my life. Trying to fiberglass a dash in my car when I was 15 rings a bell.

A quick before an after, notice the bottom of the mounts have all be resculpted.

Quote:
Here is where I am at, with making my spoiler fit.

Basic Rundown is.
1. Made a FG mold of the trunk.
2. Sat spoiler on car, marked and drilled holes.
3. Only one or the 3 studs (on each side) is long enough to go through the sheet metal due to the shape. The 2 outter-most on each side got nice long jamming nuts added to the studs. which were cut to size I will then use a 10mm bolt for them.
4. Pop FG mold off trunk. Sit back in place and align spoiler on it.
5. Make a couple alignment marks for repositioning.
6. Grind top off fiberglass and bottom so spoiler with 24 grit roloc discs.
7. Used 2pt SEM's Panel Bond Adhesive to bind the spoiler to the fiberglass.
8. Bolt the spoiler onto the decklid to clamp the 2 halves together. Wait 24hours.
9. Unbolt spoiler. And using tin snips I trimmed the fiberglass mold of the trunk down to size.
10. Using the left over hardened fiberglass I made some wedges to use as the sides of my mold. I then glassed them into place with fresh FG mat.
11. Let cure and then grind with 24grit disc to rough the surface and spoiler sides up. Applied 3M's 2pt ABS Repair structural plastic to the outside embedding the FG sides roughly shaping it to the final contour.
12. sand a repeat step 11.
13. sand.
14. CURRENTLY AT THIS STEP

I will do a bit more sanding then hit is with a 2pt epoxy finishing cream, sand and a very light coat of bodyfiller (to fill any pinholes.) After wards prime, sand, prime, sand and finally paint. (Some where in there I need to finish welding up the holes leftover from the Limited spoiler...)

Total time so far is around 9 hours. Not including waiting for fiberglass and epoxies to dry. This also doesn't include the 2 hours trying to get a nut out after dropping it inside the decklid...

Fiberglass cloth followed by a layer of mat and sealed with cloth. The cloth on the bottom gives it a very smooth finish which will be very nice on the bottom side of our spoiler.

Sadly my fun was ruined 2 weeks later by a "Bro" who wanted to lean on it chipping the paint. A week later I ripped it back apart and repaired it...

Around this time the lack of power really began to bother me. The car is a blast but, needs the kick in the ass to get going. Before I jumped the gun to FI I was convenced to track the car by Mike at Counter Space Garage. So I bought a new Bell helmet and set out...

This ended up turning into a love and 3 sessions later I feel re-assured on where I wanted to go.

My thoughts on this platform is/are that it is simply the most fun I've had stock-for-stock in a car. That includes a comparison with a FC3S and FD R1 RX-7's! The pathetic stock tires made the day a blast. However after a few sessions I really disliked corner exits. This car realy makes cornering a 'must have' skill. Not carrying enough speed in and hitting your apexes and the car will be a dog on the exits. I'm sure this is something that would be a great skill to work on but, I still couldn't help but want more power like my previous cars... being 85% street.

On the 3rd run I got to experience downforce first hand. The GTR spoiler had place enough pressure after my run that it had buckled the decklid and even managed to create a 2.5" hairline crack in the paint. I guess the 70lbs of downforce "at speed" that Nissan claimed on the GT-R may also apply to our platform.

I began to dig into the FI section an all new experience. It didn't take long until I chose Tony and FA20club with all their positive feedback and legion of worshipers posting in each thread. Sadly by the time I ordered my FA20club kit, FA20club went down hill and members flooded the boards with complaints and problems. After no word on my order I immediatly canceled my order by calling my CC card company and got my money back. I never heard back from FA20club after that.

Once again I was aimless and started to drift towards the Innovate/Sprintex 210 root supercharger. After reading many build threads the only downside at the time was members were popping belts off. lol. I blame Swift mostly for my desire to pursue this. His old black BRZ was sex! Sadly the deeper I dug in the information the more I found out about the limits of the Innovate kit. While I only wanted 300hp (crank) at the time I didn't like the lack of overhead (should I ever want more...)

Throughout this Innovate search I came across a little trojan named Kingtut... he and his marry band of men (Eko, Orbital, Sportguy, ftc) all were invading the s/c threads shouting "Turbo, Turbo, Turbo." I bit and then decided Full Blown was in the works. I imediatly got in touch with LJ and worked out a supporting mod list while waiting for my kit to arrive.

First up would be the easiest I wanted to tackle my gauges needed to make sure everything was in check. While browsing vendors I didn't like any of the steering wheel/a-pillar mounting systems I saw. I didn't like the steering ones blocking the car's existing gauges and I didn't like the fact most of the a-pillar gauges were taped on cheap products. What if the side curtain airbag goes off under them? Shortly later I ended up making a joke to one of our vendors when he was asking, "What products would we like to see for the twins?" A few jests later and I paypalled Jason at DSG the money and specs. We set out to creat the first (IMO) good pillar pod for our cars.

Requirments for pillar pod: 1, has to look factory or OEM+! 2, has to be optimal location for reading and utilize smaller 52mm gauges so it doesn't block the drivers view. 3, it has to fit perfectly. 4, It has to have some form of protection should the airbag blow. Jason had already done this with other cars in their "Forever Driven" line including the Evo and GT-R! That sold me~

The result was we were going to modify the the OEM pillars (thus bypassing the legality/DOT/safety testing) this would allow oem fitment, quality and allow the pod to use the green airbag clip that allows the pillar to fall out of the way should the airbag go off. Unfortunatly for Jason and DSG Performance, I was very persistent on matching the OEM textures and dash materials. Ideally we could have just wrapped them in alcantara suede and called it a day. This ended up being a huge challenge eating up alot of time. But, the end result was perfect! Sadly problems with production occured resulting in high lead times and costs so this part isn't (at the moment) being mass produced. So I ended up with a 1-off custom pillar pod. DSG and Evasive Motorsports then hooked me up with a sweet set of Tanabe Revel VLS (O-LED digital) gauges which are pure bliss!

While waiting for the parts to arrived I also ripped off Jive Turkey's badass idea and modified my silver dash/radio trim into a 1-piece part and wrapped in in the alcantara suede I had ordered from Jason at Overland Designs. Easily one of the easiest and best looking interior mods I have done. Completely helps push the twins away from the cheap look. Around the same time I also swapped over my 2.5 Perrin for their 3.0 setup!

As you can see the pillar pod's gauge location is near perfect so they hardly block anything more than the stock gauges!

I wanted to add a bit of more agression to the front end and add some uniquness I love the BRZ's looks but, wanted something different for the meet-ups. I began looking for a body kit. Sadly it didn't work out. First I wanted to mimic the BRZ STI concept car's front end. Extreme Dimensions' had the exact same idea. Sadly having been burnt with their products in the past, the lack of communication, and the lack of damn pictures I didn't bother.

Keeping up the hunt, I was instantly drawn towrards the Amagain and Damd LFT-86 style. With the LFA being my 'deam' car it seemed like a good fit. The front end looked sexy on darker colored cars. Being the weird-o I am though I was going to have to modidy it to suit my personal tastes. I then began tweaking it in photoshop. First I increased the opening in the center to match the side opening's height. More airflow is always good. Secondly I blacked out the visible lights in the side grills. Lastly I changed the top side of the bumper. The Damd kit has a slit that moks the LFA's hood slit. However it just sits in the middle of the bumper. Remove that, and move the emblem back up higher to where it sits on the GT86/FR-S/BRZ bumpers. Lastly I smoothed out the area above the center opening in which they had oversized "frown" lines from the FR-S's styling. I love the LFA look but still wanted to retain something that fit well with the BRZ body. This looked like a great start and I began to look for a bumper to modify.

This is where I hit a large snag. I found 2 vendors who could help import the front bumper. The problem being no matter which I used I'd be looking at $2k by the time it got to my door. Unpainted and I'd still have to cut it up and modify it myself. Pass.

Last edited by Kiske; 01-05-2016 at 09:16 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kiske For This Useful Post:
#maverick# (02-10-2015), akahenry (02-10-2015), midnight23 (02-10-2015)
Old 01-31-2015, 06:26 PM   #3
Kiske

One of them JDM-yo mirrors. I love the look inside the car but, throught the windshield the hollow backside looks like crap IMO. Thankfully I don't really notice it anymore.

Gave in and placed another order. A steering wheel trim piece and FT-86's strut bar in wrinkle black (to hopefully match the FBM wrinkle black parts.

Parts started rolling in and I did as much pre-fab, and planning as I could until I felt good and ready to install.

Picked up a new oil pan for around $85, this was I could tig the return drain and not have to rush it mid instal. Also Instaled the fumoto oil drain (how did I ever go without one of these?) and gave it a lick of paint. Better than factory!

Also began wrapping my hot parts with DEI Titanium wrap. Found out real quick to use cheap zip ties to hold everything and then when happy install those expensive stainless ties and remove the old ones. Doing so will sace you a lot of money if you mess up once or 6 times!
Also gave the IC core a lick of satin black paint. Not really for any benefit, I just prefer to draw less attention and think it looks cleaner.

Also picked up the kraftwerks windshield washer fluid resivor to replace the HUGE oem one. Much better and clears the IC piping which hopefully will allow me to shorten the charge pipe's length for a bit faster response! KW bottle is a perfect fit and reuses all the stock plumbing. It isn't vented so you cannot really fill it up completly as the neck will be full trapping air in the bottle...

I think the last pic I had of the stock engine bay.

Pretty bad when the A/C condensor is the same size as the radiator... no wonder cooling is such a problem with these cars. Ordered full blown's radiator to solve it.

Sometime between adjusting chargepipes and the bumper/sidemarkers became a problem like so many have had. Having the IC press against the bumper doesn't help I'm sure. At this time I gave in and decided to grab some clear sidemarkers lights. I went with the flat "USDM" style you can find on ebay. (this seller specificially: http://www.ebay.com/itm/201279831981...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT) I don't mind the orange ones to be honest and like the flat style opposed to the JDM and Helix markers with the raised details. Lights came in and seller was great with fast shipping. Currently applying some clear silicone to the backside and awaiting LED bulbs. They may or may not leak but, for 3min of my time a bead of silicone was worth it to ensure I don't have to remove them and risk damaging the clips.

Update: Installed the side markers. It was a good day gone bad. First spent the day ironing out bugs on my car. Finally got to the front bumper around 5pm. The issues I've been having are the usually poor fitment to fender. In my case I have to re-push in the drivers side corner almost before every drive. I took the bumper off and readjusted all the headlight/bumper to fender mounts. Also making sure no chargepipes or anything is obstructing the bumper's fitment. No dice fit's better but, still needs to be attended to every drive. During this work I took the time to instal the clear sidemarkers mentioned above. Longs story short they look white instead of clear contrasting badly against the front lights. Secondly the metal clips on them fit like shit. They wobble all over. [Sigh] Guess I will have to add the quick latch mini's to my list and next time I will lightly smoke the clear sidemarkers (not enough to make them black, just not so white looking.) I was hoping to avoid the mini latches as IMO they are an eyesore unless it is a full blown track styled car. :/

Remember those side markers I just put on in the above picture? Well the lens on them took flight a measly 3 damn days after installing them.
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84310

Also installed FT-86 Speed Factory's Strut Brace Version 2 in wrinked black!

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84310

Last edited by Kiske; 04-25-2015 at 07:57 PM.
Old 02-10-2015, 12:50 AM   #4
Kiske

Yeah. Stock Rad Vs FBM.

Easiest tranny pull I have ever done.

Last edited by Kiske; 05-12-2015 at 08:57 PM.
Old 02-10-2015, 01:11 AM   #5
midnight23
dying bird under the hood

Drives: 2013 SWP Limited BRZ
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
planning to go with larger injectors when you get the e85 kit?
midnight23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 11:44 AM   #6
akahenry

Drives: '18 STi
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
More pics please. I'd love to read more about your build!
akahenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 11:46 PM   #7
Kiske

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnight23 View Post
planning to go with larger injectors when you get the e85 kit?
Most likely, I've already maxed out the 550's when I did a 16psi run (I think,) didn't really datalog for fueling. They only took me 1 hour to change them. Will really depend on what is required to run more boost when I get there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akahenry View Post
More pics please. I'd love to read more about your build!
I'm trying not much free time. Most of it it currently working on the car itself trying to fix some problems. I hope to be able to dump a lot more info here in a couple days once I'm back up and running.
Old 02-11-2015, 10:09 AM   #8
King Tut
NASA SpecE30 Racer

Drives: 2006 Honda S2000
Thanked 5,759 Times in 3,055 Posts
Mentioned: 274 Post(s)
Tagged: 10 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to King Tut
Nice build.
Old 02-11-2015, 12:52 PM   #9
Carlos_M

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I have seen pictures of your car all over the place. Nice to finally see your build thread!

-Carlos
Carlos_M is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Carlos_M For This Useful Post:
Kiske (03-20-2015)
Old 02-11-2015, 01:40 PM   #10
#maverick#

Drives: 2006 Pontiac GP (SOLD), 2014 FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I love that GTR wing, how much of a bitch was that to install?
Old 03-08-2015, 05:12 PM   #11
Kiske

Updated post #2 with some new sidemarkers, damage, poor bumper fitment and a few goodies ordered.
Old 03-20-2015, 08:02 PM   #12
Kiske

Next project is a-go! Sti Concept time! I aim to essentailly plan the design elements into the production brz's front mergeing the 2 designs.

Project will include a custom front end, jdm sti clear side markers, the BRZ Ts/STi/Blue side skirts (2-toned with top half body color) and matching spats. I may also take the time to switch over to the rocket bunny rear street duffuser... or make something functional but that will be dead last.

I've started out by placing an order with Extreme Dimensions/Carbon Creations for the 86-r front end and LED lights. *I'm not doing the widebody version.* I also ordered 2 universal brake duct kits off ebay.

So while waiting for delivery I've begun comparing the 2 and making a list of what needs to be modified to get the 86-R front end to look closer to the concept in certain areas.

1. The lip needs reworked. The STi concept's (sti-c) lip sticks out from the body on the side and is deep into the foglight area. The 86-r's is very shallow.

2. The fog light area needs deepened. This may be an issue depending on where my charge pipes end up. I'll go as deep as I can without worring about rubbing.

3. The non widebody version of the 86-r bumper retains the bubbled lower edge next to the wheel well. The STi concept is smooth. I'm ok with this difference. I have a feeling the stock body line will look better with the rockers. Will have to wait and see.

4. The mesh included with the 86-r, if like my past experiences with extreme dimensions is likely going to be chicken wire shit. Need to source a quality grille materials. Material needs strenght as it will have to support the led bar. The grille also needs to allow air through as I plan to usilize the passenger side opening for a FBM oil cooler. I may if possible route the drivers side air to radiator if possible (unlikely) more air there is always better for temps.

5. The fog light area design is all wrong on the 86-r. The STi-C has a 20 bar split design with neither reaching all the way across the opening. Resulping will be needed. I will rely on the grille to help support the ends of the bars and keep them sturdy.

6. The LED bar, probably the most challenging aspect of this. It needs to be a round tube design with one end tapered. The acrylic lens needs to be fogged so the LED lights aren't visible. So far I'm a bit overwhelmed trying to find something similar but, Nick at Diode Dynamics has been very helpful in steering me in the right direction. This is probably an area that may slightly differ in design. I really hope not as it is probably my favorite part of the front end.

7. Trying to get this front end to FIT!

I'll try to doc. my progress a bit better than I did with the GTR spoiler. Though no promisses as when you find your groove while working stopping to take a picture can easily break your roll.

Last edited by Kiske; 03-20-2015 at 10:28 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kiske For This Useful Post:
8R6 (11-17-2015), Carlos_M (03-21-2015)
Old 03-20-2015, 08:38 PM   #13
raven1231

Drives: 2013 Firestorm FR-S, 2016 DGM WRX
Thanked 3,118 Times in 1,667 Posts
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
very unique man! Glad you didn't get the DAMD kit though lol
raven1231 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to raven1231 For This Useful Post:
Kiske (03-20-2015)
Old 03-21-2015, 07:59 AM   #14
Carlos_M

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Just read a whole lot of "F@ck Yea" in that last. Definitely cannot wait for updates!

-Carlos
Carlos_M is offline   Reply With Quote