follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

View Poll Results: What type of transmission for you FT-86
Automatic 19 28.79%
Manual 47 71.21%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

Old 08-31-2011, 11:59 PM   #1
luisjr

Drives: none
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
FT-86, manual or automatic transmission???

I'm still debating. So I'm wondering what you guys have to say.. & Why??
luisjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 12:08 AM   #2
I usually post drunk

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showt...ight=automatic

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showt...ight=automatic

Manual , my auto is so boring
#87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 12:17 AM   #3
luisjr

Well I'm only 16 and planning on getting the ft86 as my first car and don't know how to drive stick but my dad loves driving stick and I slays hear how fun it is but I feel like I'm not going to have time to change the song on my iPod while driving.
Old 09-01-2011, 03:59 AM   #4
Type[R]+

Drives: Lexus IS-F
In before close!
Type[R]+ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 04:37 AM   #5
xantonin
Mr. Detail

Drives: 2003 Celica GT-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by luisjr View Post
Well I'm only 16 and planning on getting the ft86 as my first car and don't know how to drive stick but my dad loves driving stick and I slays hear how fun it is but I feel like I'm not going to have time to change the song on my iPod while driving.
Don't get a stick.

Get one of those juke cube cars.
Old 09-01-2011, 05:14 AM   #6
[es vi: eks]

Drives: Subaru Legacy
Manual in FT for me. I still prefer driving manuals. but I dont mind autos... the SVX only came in auto. Fun to drive considering it was only 4EAT
Old 09-01-2011, 05:37 AM   #7
tranzformer
Delights in pure handling

Drives: Zoom Zoom
In before the close. Go with the manual. That way you wont make little children in Ethiopia cry.
tranzformer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 06:11 AM   #8
chaoskaze
The Fail Boat

Drives: CWP S.B.
Thanked 1,293 Times in 873 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by luisjr View Post
I drive stig & eat my lunch while commuting to work... It's easier then u think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranzformer View Post
In before the close. Go with the manual. That way you wont make little children in Ethiopia cry.
ur reply makes me LMAO
chaoskaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 09:39 AM   #9
pastuch

Drives: 2013 BRZ
I honestly believe that 100% of cars should be manuals.

1. Driving a Manual transmission is more engaging which forces people to look up from their smart phones and actually pay attention to driving their car. Seriously, we could reduce the accident rate (and my insurance) significantly if people actually paid attention to DRIVING.

2. Driving a stick is more fun, it just is. YOU are driving the car, if you want to throw high revs at it through a corner and whip the tail out that is entirely up to you.

3. You get better gas mileage in a Manual unless you drive like #2... Which you will because it's fun.

4. Can a Manumatic/dsg/slushbox shift faster than me? Probably it can but who gives a shit really?!? Every time I get in my dads Porsche 911 I think about how much better it would be with a standard and it's got the "uber" dsg. Yes it shifts quickly but I feel much less engaged. I don't really feel like I'm driving the car, I feel like it drives me and it's a PORSCHE 911!
pastuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 09:50 AM   #10
WolfpackS2k

Drives: '12 C63 P31, '23 GRC
Thanked 2,072 Times in 1,185 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pastuch View Post

1. Driving a Manual transmission is more engaging which forces people to look up from their smart phones and actually pay attention to driving their car. Seriously, we could reduce the accident rate (and my insurance) significantly if people actually paid attention to DRIVING.

2. Driving a stick is more fun, it just is. YOU are driving the car, if you want to throw high revs at it through a corner and whip the tail out that is entirely up to you.

3. You get better gas mileage in a Manual unless you drive like #2... Which you will because it's fun.

4. Can a Manumatic/dsg/slushbox shift faster than me? Probably it can but who gives a shit really?!? Every time I get in my dads Porsche 911 I think about how much better it would be with a standard and it's got the "uber" dsg. Yes it shifts quickly but I feel much less engaged. I don't really feel like I'm driving the car, I feel like it drives me and it's a PORSCHE 911!
Absolutely agree! And who cares if a dual clutch set up is faster. Last time I checked none of us are racing our street cars on a track for money. We drive them for fun and shifting for yourself = fun.

luisjr the easiest way to learn how to drive a manual transmission is to buy a car with a manual transmission. You won't hurt it. In fact you'll have it figured out in less than a day and then by the end of the week most people won't even be able to tell that you just learned.
Old 09-01-2011, 10:24 AM   #11
82mm 4g63
4G63 & Rotary

Drives: 92TalonAWD, 93RX7, 11F150EcoBoost
Send a message via AIM to 82mm 4g63
For the FR-S I would get a manual, the auto in this isn't going to be all that special.

Quote:

lol

1. The only thing I partially agree with is "driving a manual is more engaging" as long as you're comparing manual to an ordinary PRND2L automatic transmission. Driving a manual isn't like doing trigonometry. If you're not capable of talking on a phone or sending a text message while driving a manual transmission I don't think we should allow you to have passengers or even a radio in your manual transmission car.

2. More fun to YOU. I like my Xbox more than PS3, my roommate likes his PS3 more than Xbox. Who is right? No one, it's personal preference.

3. Modern automatics are getting fuel economy ratings that are damn near equal to a manual. If 1-2mpg will really break the bank maybe a sports car isn't what you should be in the market for?

4. Can a DSG transmission shift faster than you? Yes, absolutely. Not as engaging? Purely your opinion and you're entitled to it, but in my opinion an F1 style paddle shift setup can be just as engaging as a 3 pedal car. You still have to focus on your shifting, but you don't have to focus on pedal pressing so you can focus more on the road ahead of you. I'll take that trade off.

I have 5spd manuals in both my Talon and RX, but I am excited about getting a new sports car with a fast shifting automatic with paddle shifters.

Last edited by 82mm 4g63; 09-01-2011 at 11:16 AM.
82mm 4g63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 11:32 AM   #12
Allch Chcar

Drives: N/A
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:

Welcome to the fold brother.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luisjr
If you're worried about doing things while driving stick, you should probably learn how to do it on a beater first. Learning to drive stick is hard on a car, which is not something you want to do to a new car.

Drive stick is like loving a woman...or riding a bicycle. Yeah a bicycle is something I can explain easier on teh internets. It's all about timing, balance, and finesse and you'll never forget how to do it.

Totally talking about a bicycle BTW .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonitti View Post
Daily Driver, occasional weekend drifter.
Allch Chcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 01:37 PM   #13
Giccin
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Drives: Yaris HBK, Audi 09' TTS<Had>
Thanked 1,899 Times in 966 Posts
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allch Chcar View Post
Welcome to the fold brother.

If you're worried about doing things while driving stick, you should probably learn how to do it on a beater first. Learning to drive stick is hard on a car, which is not something you want to do to a new car.

Drive stick is like loving a woman...or riding a bicycle. Yeah a bicycle is something I can explain easier on teh internets. It's all about timing, balance, and finesse and you'll never forget how to do it.

Totally talking about a bicycle BTW .
Lol. You might as well say.. PUN INTENDED! Was a fun read. :P

Also, depending on the person, and where they live/the situation might judge what is best suited for them (Ie. Heavy Heavy Traffic areas, crappy drivers, car robberies *referring to the article about the guys trying to steal the car and fail.).

Logic > Emotion
┬──┬◡ノ(° -°ノ)
Yashio Factory Pink adds +10HP to anything.
TOYOTA FT-86
Giccin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 01:39 PM   #14
luisjr

Damn I want to have that fun manual transmission but at the same time, I just want to cruise and not have to worry about it. Thanks for the help btw.