follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 11-12-2013, 06:14 PM   #85
SirBrass
Trust me, I'm the Doctor

Drives: 2019 WRX Limited (WRB)
Thanked 1,251 Times in 781 Posts
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
AZ - Phoenix - Camelback Subaru - Sales/Service

Sales: Mike
Service: Robert & Kyle
Story: I've been going to Camelback Subaru for my Subie's needs for years. With the WRX, I always worked with Robert who took good care of me and never advised more service than was needed. When I bought my STI, I dealt with Mike in Sales and Scott in Finance and though I felt a bit screwed (who doesn't when negotiating for multiple tens of thousands of dollars), I still was dealt a fair deal. For my STI's service, I worked with Kyle who is, himself, a Subie enthusiast (and drives an 02 WRX Bugeye Wagon).

When I simply could not afford the costs of paying for, insuring, and fueling the STI, I went back to Camelback for a BRZ and dealt again with Mike and Scott. This time, the negotiating was hard and I was ready to say "Thank you, but this simply won't work today" and be alright with that. Instead, they bent over backwards not to get me to say "yes", but to get the numbers to where I told them they needed to be, and they made it work by basically shaving off everything they could and they made the final numbers (not just the sales numbers) work. I'm going to be working with Kyle again for service, and Rich the mechanic and Markos (who himself races a built STI race car) in parts are well known in the area by Subie enthusiasts as among the good guys. My experience has been that for values of dealerships, Camelback's service and parts departments are enthusiast-friendly and their sales department is courteous and friendly.

^GT5 Replay Photo Mode^
SirBrass is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SirBrass For This Useful Post:
Deslock (11-18-2013)
Old 11-12-2013, 06:25 PM   #86
koyv90
Rocket Bunny FRS

Drives: 2013 Rocket Bunny FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirBrass View Post
AZ - Phoenix - Camelback Subaru - Sales/Service

Sales: Mike
Service: Robert & Kyle
Story: I've been going to Camelback Subaru for my Subie's needs for years. With the WRX, I always worked with Robert who took good care of me and never advised more service than was needed. When I bought my STI, I dealt with Mike in Sales and Scott in Finance and though I felt a bit screwed (who doesn't when negotiating for multiple tens of thousands of dollars), I still was dealt a fair deal. For my STI's service, I worked with Kyle who is, himself, a Subie enthusiast (and drives an 02 WRX Bugeye Wagon).

When I simply could not afford the costs of paying for, insuring, and fueling the STI, I went back to Camelback for a BRZ and dealt again with Mike and Scott. This time, the negotiating was hard and I was ready to say "Thank you, but this simply won't work today" and be alright with that. Instead, they bent over backwards not to get me to say "yes", but to get the numbers to where I told them they needed to be, and they made it work by basically shaving off everything they could and they made the final numbers (not just the sales numbers) work. I'm going to be working with Kyle again for service, and Rich the mechanic and Markos (who himself races a built STI race car) in parts are well known in the area by Subie enthusiasts as among the good guys. My experience has been that for values of dealerships, Camelback's service and parts departments are enthusiast-friendly and their sales department is courteous and friendly.
I hope camelback scion will do the same for me!
koyv90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 06:27 PM   #87
SirBrass
Trust me, I'm the Doctor

Drives: 2019 WRX Limited (WRB)
Thanked 1,251 Times in 781 Posts
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
I talked to Camelback Toyota across the street, and they were quite friendly. However, Scion has that fixed price thing that prevents dealers from marking up prices, but it also keeps them from dropping them to invoice or lower. You won't be able to negotiate except possibly for the value of your trade-in.

^GT5 Replay Photo Mode^
SirBrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 06:47 PM   #88
chrisl

Drives: 2006 Cayman S, 2007 Outback 2.5i
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
CO - Boulder - Flatirons - Sales/Service
http://www.coloradosubaru.com/index.htm

I bought my 2007 Outback (which I still use as my winter/practical car) there, and I had a great experience. The dealer let me go out on a test drive for as long as I wanted, the salesman (Rick Visser, who sadly doesn't work there anymore) didn't even come with me, and there was absolutely no pressure. I can't speak for the finance dept here, since I paid cash, but my experience was excellent, and I'd definitely buy another car from them. They've also let me test drive both a WRX and BRZ since, again without even sending a salesperson with me for the test drive.

I would also highly recommend their service department. I've been taking my Outback here since Feb. 2007 (when I bought it), and I've had no problems with the service in almost 120k miles. They're fast, courteous, and they even tend to give me the coupon pricing for oil changes when I don't have a coupon. Also, last winter, after I drove my Outback into a snow drift, they did a full 30 or 40 minute inspection of the car to make sure that I hadn't damaged anything, and they didn't charge me a cent for it (nothing was damaged, thankfully). Whenever I have needed significant work done (most recently the clutch, at about 90k miles), the pricing has been fair, and they haven't tried to push unnecessary additional service on me.

Overall, I'd definitely recommend them, and I'd definitely buy from them again if I were buying another Subaru.

Last edited by chrisl; 11-18-2013 at 11:17 AM.
chrisl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chrisl For This Useful Post:
Deslock (11-18-2013)
Old 11-15-2013, 01:23 PM   #89
brybot

Drives: 13 DGM BRZ 6MT
Garage
Sewell Subaru - Dallas

TX - Dallas - Sewell Subaru - sales

Sales: Adeloma - goes by 'D'
Service: Also great
Story: Outstanding service from D - great test drive experience, got almost $2k off of MSRP on '13 DGM Limited 6MT and an honest trade-in on my Tahoe ($7,500). Kept me updated with emails and text messages throughout the process. Still easy to reach if I have any questions. This dude drove 30-40 minutes in Dallas traffic to pick up a prospective client from the airport just because. Not sure if all of Sewell or just him, but customer service was just awesome.

Update: service department is just as great. "D" still remembers me by name.

Last edited by brybot; 05-24-2014 at 09:56 AM.
brybot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to brybot For This Useful Post:
Deslock (11-18-2013)
Old 11-16-2013, 04:07 PM   #90
davesbrz

Drives: '14 SWP BRZ
CO - Colorado Springs - Heuberger Motors - Sales
Sales person: Clint Earhart

My Review Of Heuberger Motors:
I had a great experience buying my 2014 Subaru BRZ from Clint Earhart.
Clint is a selling cars the old-fashioned way - by doing-right for the buyer, making it a low-stress experience and offering the best prices by selling in volume. He is a car enthusiast himself, is involved in the online car forums and community, and offers other knowledgeable car enthusiasts a way to get into their dream cars. He does not push options, in fact, requests his allocations to be without options so that buyers can choose for themselves. While he offers after-market products like tint/clear-bra, etc, he does not push the customer, unlike many other dealers.

Car buying can be a really stressful experience - and it really shouldn't. For many, that pricing encounter with the salesperson sucks the fun and excitement out of getting that new car. But not with Clint - this was the easiest pricing deal I have ever done - Fantastic price right off the bat and No haggle, no tricks, no extra options or hidden charges that appear on the P.O.

Here's how it went for me: After reading about the BRZ, first reviews and raves in 2012, I went to my local Subaru dealer where I was told that i could order one, pay up to 5K over MSRP and wait 6 months for the car, no thanks. (the local dealer even suggested that I go to the scion dealer, but I wanted the Subaru and some of those Limited model amenities...)
Fast forward to 2013 - i finally was able to go for a test-drive at my local Subaru months later, when, on a chance visit, there was an unsold BRZ on the lot It is a *fantastic* driving car. But, when it came down to buying it, I found that all the local dealers wanted at least MSRP, and even 1K to 2K more for the higher-demand colors (SWP, which I wanted) and were loading up their cars with high-margin option packages. In fact, I found that no dealers in NorCal (maybe even all CA) were moving on price.

In reading the various Subaru forums, I learned that more and more California buyers were buying their BRZs from a crazy fellow enthusiast sales guy named Clint at a huge dealership in Colorado, who was not only selling the car below MSRP, he was selling below Invoice, so I thought this was looking into.
I was skeptical that buying my car remotely, sight-unseen, and from out-of-state would be worth it after expenses to pick it up or ship it and the hassles of registering it in California as an out-of-state new car. And I was worried about shipping the car, potential damage and recourse. But so many forum members were sharing their experiences and advising on the CA DMV procedures, that it made it easy.

I asked Clint for a quote and saw for myself that the rumored great pricing was real and put down my deposit for my car.
Best yet, Clint gives a price that is really no-haggle, doesn't load up the cars with options, (In fact he requests that his allocation cars have no options and be in popular colors.), and accommodates requests like no holes drilled in the front bumper.
Clint is very responsive throughout the process, gives you his cellphone ph#, will text you, email you, call you back - whatever you want. He will spend whatever time you need to answer all your questions and deal with any requests, options, shipping or aftermarket products he offers, like tinting or clear-bras.

For car enthusiasts, Clint is a hero. We should give him a trophy, an award (how about that car forum webmasters?), declare a Subaru BRZ owners holiday, have a booth for him at group-meet events, make a statue of him, name our kids after him, (or at least our cars) and make sure we tell all our friends and others to buy their Subarus from him.
Buying through Clint is definitely the way to go, like buying your car on Amazon, and especially for those who know what they want, the car/model/options/packages, AT vs MT, etc... Clint will get your car at probably the best price in the west and maybe in the country, and his selections are better than those at other dealers since his allocations are the largest.

I would definitely buy from Clint/Heuberger again, and next time I buy a Subaru I will be back!

Thanks Clint!

Last edited by davesbrz; 11-19-2013 at 10:19 AM.
davesbrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to davesbrz For This Useful Post:
Deslock (11-18-2013), HeubergerMotors (11-25-2013), SirBrass (11-21-2013)
Old 11-21-2013, 03:00 PM   #91
Mpowered

Drives: BR-Z
TX - Dallas - Sewell Subaru - Sales & Service

Ordered the car from them and was kept up to date. The entire process was painless.

At my 3K mile service, I looked outside and they were hand-washing and hand-drying my car including all of the door jambs, trunk and hood area! Even tightened up my shift knob which had come loose, all without me asking.

Top notch!
Mpowered is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mpowered For This Useful Post:
Deslock (11-24-2013)
Old 11-21-2013, 04:01 PM   #92
Frstorm

Drives: 2013 Firestorm
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
So they were touching your paint. A big no no for me
Frstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 04:51 PM   #93
Abenaki
Curmudgeon@gezzer.com

Drives: 2013 BRZ
I have had a really good experience at Faulkner Subaru in Harrisburg PA. Chris Carvell (sales) and the internet sales team have been as good as you could possibly want. One oil change so far... positive feedback and left feeling like they actually care.
3233 Paxton St, Harrisburg, PA 17111
http://www.faulknersubaru.net/index.htm

PA - Harrisburg ------ Faulkner Subaru ------- Both

Abenaki is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Abenaki For This Useful Post:
Deslock (11-24-2013)
Old 11-22-2013, 06:02 PM   #94
Carolina Dyno

Drives: 2013
NC - Wilmington - Hendrick Toyota/Scion - Skip Laskody, Sales

Service: Excellent, great amenities (starbucks, snacks, etc).
Story: Walked in and an hour later, walked out with a new FR-S.

Last edited by Carolina Dyno; 11-24-2013 at 09:37 PM.
Carolina Dyno is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Carolina Dyno For This Useful Post:
Deslock (11-24-2013)
Old 11-26-2013, 05:18 PM   #95
HeubergerMotors

Drives: 2006 WRX TR
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Thanks for another great review:

My Review Of Heuberger Motors:
I just wanted to summarize my car buying experience with Clint, which was about as flawless as anyone could hope for. I discovered Clint and Heuberger Subaru on the FT86 forums, where a growing contingent of Californians discussed purchasing their BRZ's from Colorado due to the (over)pricing in CA, and the unbeatable prices and customer service offered by Clint.

My experience was brief, but everything that I wanted. I emailed Clint per his instructions with my desired specs, and he supplied me with an unbelievably low price. I called him and gave him my credit card info for my deposit, and about 6 weeks later, the car showed up to Heuberger. I was able to keep in communication with Clint via email and text, which he was very responsive to despite his numerous customers that he's keeping tabs on.

I then spoke to Dawn in finance, who was very nice (and was able to secure an interest rate well below what I found independently) and walked me step by step through the numbers. Throughout the whole process, there was no pressure to buy anything unnecessary at all, unlike other car buying experiences I've had in the past. The paperwork was overnighted to me with a pre-paid overnight envelope to send everything back.

My car showed up at my doorstep about a week after I spoke to Dawn. It was a little dirty from the trip, which was to be expected, but it was otherwise in perfect condition. Overall, I cannot imagine an easier and more convenient car buying experience from a nicer group of people. I give Clint and Dawn and Heuberger Subaru my highest recommendation, and will refer anyone I know who's interested in a Subaru to them in a heartbeat

http://www.dealerrater.com/sales/Cli...-138395/page2/
HeubergerMotors is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HeubergerMotors For This Useful Post:
Deslock (12-04-2013)
Old 11-28-2013, 10:44 AM   #96
ChiefG
Skeptic

Drives: 2013 FR-S Ultramarine 6A
MD - Russell Subaru - Sales/Service
Salesman: Steve Sherman

One of the most painless buying experiences ever. Got below-invoice pricing, low stress. 2013 Outback. Steve has been there a long time. Great guy to deal with. Was sent to Steve by a friend who also bought an Outback there, and whose daughter bought a Mazda. All of us are very happy with dealership.

I'm also very pleased with the service so far.

Unfortunately they couldn't hook me up with a BRZ, and I ended up buying an FRS from another Russell dealership - and if there's a dealer blacklist over on the FRS side, the Scion dealer is going on it.
Old 11-30-2013, 11:12 PM   #97
Screw Loose Dan

Drives: '14 BRZ
PA - Limerick - Welsh Subaru - sales

Sales: Tom Emmons
Service: [N/A]
Story: Bought my DGM 2014 Limited BRZ from Tom Emmons at Welsh Subaru of Limerick just a few weeks ago. I originally test drove a manual transmission BRZ they had on the lot. Tom made sure to take me on some very curvy roads so I could actually test drive the car (and didn't complain when I tossed in a couple turns). I was looking at other models of cars, but had explained that I was looking for an auto. They got an auto in from another dealer the next day, without me asking. I came back and test drove the auto. They let me take it out by myself, but the manager made sure I knew where local curvy roads were. I feel as if I got a good (high) price for my trade (2004 Mustang GT) and with some haggling got the BRZ around invoice.
Screw Loose Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Screw Loose Dan For This Useful Post:
Deslock (12-04-2013)
Old 12-05-2013, 09:01 PM   #98
pkolanko

Drives: 2015 White Series.Blue BRZ
PA -Allentown - Ciocca -Sales

Sales: Forget name, but older short Italian guy
Story: Agreed to price over phone. Drove an hour to the dealership. The owner personally checked out my trade (2013 Miata with only 4k miles). Reasonable offer on my trade. Only downside was I sat for around 2 hours for the paperwork to be ready, but they were extremely busy, so I can't complain. Finance guy wasn't pushy and was very friendly.
pkolanko is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pkolanko For This Useful Post:
Deslock (12-10-2013)