follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides

DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides For all DIYs.

User Tag List

Old 06-08-2020, 10:34 AM   #113
Nails

Drives: 2016 FR-S (Halo MT)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tehShirt View Post
I attached a zip with the STL files for the Pioneer mic adapter I made. I have printed two of these now, one for myself and one for @spike021 on a luzbot mini in PLA. I was only able to test it with the mic style pictured. If you have the dimensions for other types I can modify my files for you.

There are three files, one male side, and two female sides. If your mic still has the ball on it, you can use the "with hole" option to retain the ball. If you have castrated the microphone, use the other side.

@tehShirt, thank you very much for creating this Pioneer mic adapter. I got it installed this weekend and it fit perfectly.
Nails is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nails For This Useful Post:
spike021 (09-01-2020), tehShirt (06-08-2020)
Old 06-08-2020, 12:01 PM   #114
tehShirt

Drives: 2014 Subaru Forester
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nails View Post
@tehShirt, thank you very much for creating this Pioneer mic adapter. I got it installed this weekend and it fit perfectly.
I'm glad it worked out for you.
tehShirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 05:00 PM   #115
gpvecchi

Drives: Toyota 86 GT Limited PP (Model G)
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Can you please tell me which measures do you need for Kenwood type? Thanks!
gpvecchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 09:28 AM   #116
tehShirt

Drives: 2014 Subaru Forester
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpvecchi View Post
Can you please tell me which measures do you need for Kenwood type? Thanks!
Can you post a picture of what your microphone looks like? I will add dimensions needed to the picture for you to take. Feel free to send me a PM and I'll get back to you sooner.
tehShirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 01:57 AM   #117
zypher10

Drives: GT86
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoozaB View Post
If anyone is interested in the below I can send them the STL file for printing.

I have wanted to make use of the blanking plate on the 86 for a USB & microphone. Fitment is OEM flush. Only issue is the tabs on the item aren't as strong as the original unit as I couldn't built gussets to support them as space didn't permit.

The microphone is press fit into place - I used the supplied Sony microphone and took off the plastic shroud to reveal the microphone (6.5mm dia). I was concerned it wouldn't pick up my voice but on testing found it to pick my voice up really well.

The USB from the Sony XAV-5000 was inserted into socket and used super glue to keep it in place.

3D Printer - Creality Ender 3 Pro

Images below:

Would you mind sharing with? would love to use this as i also have the xav-5000.
zypher10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 02:06 PM   #118
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,907 Times in 11,362 Posts
Mentioned: 181 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
My son and I have been playing around with a filament based 3d printer, but was curious about the resin printers. Anyone have experience with MSLA or other types of resin printing? For the stuff we've been doing (primarily game figures for D&D and other games) it would seem this would produce a better result.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 06:33 PM   #119
RayRay88

Drives: 2017 86 860 Special Edition
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
My son and I have been playing around with a filament based 3d printer, but was curious about the resin printers. Anyone have experience with MSLA or other types of resin printing? For the stuff we've been doing (primarily game figures for D&D and other games) it would seem this would produce a better result.
SLA/Photocurable resin based printers produce excellent high resolution parts that FDM will not be able to match. The downside is that they are highly susceptible to warp and discolor under UV and even prolonged indoor lights. Painting and sealing will delay this effect.

They are also notoriously brittle and no where near as strong as ABS/PLA so anything functional/mechanical is out of the question. Heat deflection temperatures are also very low. I wouldn't trust it outside of room temperature environments. Don't let marketing BS fool you, resins have a long way to go to in terms of mechanical properties.

Then there's the inevitable Isoprop cleaning and post curing required with each printed part. That can add complexity and mess to any print. Many parts if not printed or oriented properly can warp at this stage too.

At the hobby/cheap chinese brand printer level all of this becomes much more difficult to manage but is not beyond the scope of a hobbyist. You just have to really weigh your options and decide if its worth the usage/time/effort/cost.

Good luck!
RayRay88 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RayRay88 For This Useful Post:
bcj (11-02-2020), Dadhawk (11-02-2020)
Old 01-12-2021, 04:59 PM   #120
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,253 Times in 7,346 Posts
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Garage
WTF I have been getting pretty good prints with PETG for a long time and now this garbage. My settings where jacked after the last Cura update. Still haven’t got it sorted. Had 99999 bottom layers and no top layer. Annoying when trying to RPT a part I already have drawn.

Old 01-23-2021, 11:19 PM   #121
coy smith

Drives: 2016 Scion FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
would anyone be able to make a design for door handle trim piece?
Attached Images

coy smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 04:41 PM   #122
86league

Drives: '13 BRZ Limited
Deka ETX15L battery tray/Tie down block

Got a Deka ETX15L battery to shed some weight vs. the OEM (11.8lbs vs 34lbs) but it's not a drop in replacement.

I ended up 3D printing a tray that holds the Deka and is same width as the stock tray front to back. This "adapter" raises the Deka enough to let you use the stock tie-down parts. Also made a little block to go under the tie down bar to spread out the load on the top of the battery. Seems to work well.

Printed in ABS. I'd previously done something very similar with a Braille 14115 and it held up well. The ETX15L was a lot cheaper than the Braille and works a little better in terms of height IMO.

Files at : https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4876101

Last edited by 86league; 06-02-2021 at 10:51 AM. Reason: Added link to files at thingiverse
86league is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 86league For This Useful Post:
Compelica (03-01-2021), DAEMANO (03-01-2021), finch1750 (05-31-2021), Racecomp Engineering (04-27-2021)
Old 02-28-2021, 05:01 PM   #123
86league

Arm rest spacer

Got one of the knock-off PZ435-10340-00 hinged center console arm rests from amazon a while back. After I got it, I came to the conclusion that I didn't want to drill a bunch of holes in my console, and it wasn't high enough for my liking.

I ended up making 3D printed spacer that the arm rest screws into, and then the spacer fits into the console and is held in place by a couple of "tabs" front and back and some guides on the sides. It adds about 1" to the overall height and I'm fairly happy with it at this point. Big pluses to me are that it just lifts out so if I want to take it out for track events I can, and now I don't feel like I have to lean to the passenger side to get my arm down on the arm rest.

Previous iterations I tried just using double sided tape to stick it to the console and didn't have the locating tabs/guides. I always ended up banging into it when I'm trying to load stuff into the back seat, or even bumping it getting in and I would knock the tape loose.

The back locating tab is sized so that the cupholders are still useable.

Printed in ABS and had some issues with it wanting to peel off the print bed. You may notice some slots along the length. That was an attempt to give the ABS somewhere to relieve the thermal contraction vs. pulling off the print bed. It seemed to help, but didn't 100% eliminate it.

Had to print in 2 pieces because of the size. Have a "tab" that slides into the other part and then they are screwed together from the top.

It could be improved I'm sure, the compound curvature of the console and the armrest made this task a little beyond my CAD skills. The model is kind of a house of cards. I tried to make it parametric so you could change the height of the spacer, but seems like changing the height now breaks a lot of stuff and you have to manually edit things to fix them every time the height is changed.

Here's some images of the CAD:

And the finished product mounted to the arm-rest.

This pic makes the PVC "leather" look way darker than the seats, but it doesn't seem to be anywhere near that noticeable just looking at it. Hey, for $40 vs the $160 for the OEM, good enough for me.

STL, STEP, and the Fusion 360 parts are avail on thingiverse.com/thing:4840911

Last edited by 86league; 04-27-2021 at 10:55 AM. Reason: Added thingiverse number
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to 86league For This Useful Post:
Compelica (04-17-2021), Dadhawk (02-28-2021), DAEMANO (03-01-2021), DiscoQuinn (05-31-2021), Dzmitry (03-01-2021), MuseChaser (04-16-2021), RedReplicant (09-04-2021), Spankopotomous (02-28-2021)
Old 03-01-2021, 01:40 AM   #124
wil5bart

Drives: '16 BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86league View Post
Got one of the knock-off hinged arm rests from amazon a while back. After I got it, I came to the conclusion that I didn't want to drill a bunch of holes in my console, and it really wasn't high enough for me.

I ended up making 3D printed spacer that the arm rest screws into, and then the spacer fits into the console and is held in place by a couple of "tabs" front and back and some guides on the sides. It adds about 1" to the overall height and I'm fairly happy with it at this point. Big pluses to me are that it just lifts out, so if I want to take it out for track events I can, and now I don't feel like I have to lean to the passenger side to get my arm down on the arm rest.

Previous iterations I tried just using double sided tape to stick it to the console and didn't have the locating tabs/guides. I always ended up banging into it when I'm trying to load stuff into the back seat, or even bumping it getting in and I would knock the tape loose.

Printed in ABS and had some issues with it wanting to peel off the print bed. You may notice some slots along the length. That was an attempt to give the ABS somewhere to relieve the thermal contraction vs. pulling off the print bed. It seemed to help, but didn't 100% eliminate it.

Had to print in 2 pieces because of the size. Have a "tab" that slides into the other part and then they are screwed together from the top.

It could be improved I'm sure, the compound curvature of the console and the armrest made this task a little beyond my CAD skills. The model is kind of a house of cards. I tried to make it parametric so you could change the height of the spacer, but seems like changing the height now breaks a lot of stuff and you have to manually edit things to fix them every time the height is changed.

Here's the CAD:

This pic makes the "leather" look way darker than the seats, but it doesn't seem to be anywhere near that noticeable just looking at it. Hey, for $40 vs the $160 for the OEM, good enough for me.

Looks great. I dig the color!
wil5bart is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wil5bart For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (03-01-2021)
Old 04-16-2021, 07:19 PM   #125
Enrgkid

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86league View Post
Got one of the knock-off hinged arm rests from amazon a while back. After I got it, I came to the conclusion that I didn't want to drill a bunch of holes in my console, and it really wasn't high enough for me.

I ended up making 3D printed spacer that the arm rest screws into, and then the spacer fits into the console and is held in place by a couple of "tabs" front and back and some guides on the sides. It adds about 1" to the overall height and I'm fairly happy with it at this point. Big pluses to me are that it just lifts out, so if I want to take it out for track events I can, and now I don't feel like I have to lean to the passenger side to get my arm down on the arm rest.

Here's the CAD:

This pic makes the "leather" look way darker than the seats, but it doesn't seem to be anywhere near that noticeable just looking at it. Hey, for $40 vs the $160 for the OEM, good enough for me.

You don't happen to have the STL files for this do you?
Enrgkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 05:50 PM   #126
86league

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enrgkid View Post
You don't happen to have the STL files for this do you?
Updated the original post with the link to thingiverse where the .stl files are hosted.