follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > CANADA

CANADA Canada

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Old 10-21-2020, 10:17 AM   #57
RToyo86

Drives: 17 Asphalt 86
Thanked 2,198 Times in 1,125 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frost View Post
Wow, thanks for explaining the other side of the coin officer! We need more of you out there.

While I haven't had many run-ins with cops (I can count on two hands - most of them were RIDE checks), I have had one bad run in Toronto and was mostly upset at myself but I recall vividly the cop coming off a bit... stand-off-ish. Nonetheless, I fought the ticket politely in court and the prosecutor didn't bother.

Like you said, if we could all be a little bit nicer to each other, the world would be a much better place.
I am in the same process, but covid has made court cases near impossible.
I have no idea when/if it'll even happen at this point. I have a good 6 months of back logged cases due to covid that bumped my hearing and received a letter that I'd get another letter with a new date. That was a month ago, and I haven't recieved anything. Now with a modified "stage 2" things are once again a mess.
I know this stuff is slow going, especially in Brockville area which is near the 401.
Old 10-21-2020, 10:52 AM   #58
Jordanwolf
Rice King

Drives: '19 FWD master race CTR
Thanked 2,001 Times in 1,203 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frost View Post
I dunno man, paramedics are getting a really raw deal these days.

Mental health amongst them is not really getting addressed and they are working some long ass hours.
I know. It's really just bad for them all right now and they don't seem to get the support they need a lot of the time, even pre el Corona.
Old 10-21-2020, 12:07 PM   #59
Ghost of Akina

Drives: DE5 Integra Type S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by new2subaru View Post
Yes, but he can beat the stunt driving charge. It's a lose, lose really lose.
My buddy was in a similar situation except he didn't give the cop attitude by trying to explain the law - he got off with having to take some prudent drivers course and took the hit on his license but no additional fines or impounding. Like you said lose, lose.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ghost of Akina For This Useful Post:
wparsons (11-03-2020)
Old 10-21-2020, 01:10 PM   #60
Frost
CASC-OR T.A. Director

Drives: '13 Prius, '22 BRZ
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RToyo86 View Post
I have no idea when/if it'll even happen at this point. I have a good 6 months of back logged cases due to covid that bumped my hearing and received a letter that I'd get another letter with a new date. That was a month ago, and I haven't recieved anything. Now with a modified "stage 2" things are once again a mess.
I know this stuff is slow going, especially in Brockville area which is near the 401.
Let the courts do their thing. Covid is totally messing them up but at least you're in the system so no loss on your part.

OTA LIVE TIMING LINK
Old 10-21-2020, 07:25 PM   #61
SUSPECT_BRZ

Drives: 2020 Subaru BRZ TS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RToyo86 View Post
That could end up working in your favour. I'm pretty sure Courts have a certain delay they have to abide in order to prosecute someone and get the case closed. They are overwhelmed right now. It won't be until next year mate. Good luck with everything!
Old 11-01-2020, 08:13 AM   #62
dyim

Drives: ?
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
OP, sorry about your job loss.

Here is my take:

Officer saw a modified 2 door sports car making a fast left and the rear wiggled a bit.

He can tell you are speeding visually but not clocked.

He followed you to see if you 'mess up' so he can pull you over.

You didn't but he still need to warn you.

You IMO is slightly confrontational. Telling him about mask, questioning his judgement/ interpretation of the law.

So he charged you with stunt driving because that is all he has.

Is it justified? Probably not, up to the court to decide.

Bottom line is you already paid to learn your lesson.

Don't speed, respect the officer. You will never win that power struggle at the side of the road.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to dyim For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (11-02-2020), FLIPDADY (11-01-2020), Frost (11-01-2020), pushrod (11-01-2020), ScoobsMcGee (11-03-2020), wbradley (11-02-2020), wparsons (11-03-2020)
Old 11-02-2020, 12:57 PM   #63
wbradley
Sarcastic SOB

Drives: '13 FR-S M6, '23 Volvo V60 CC
Thanked 2,844 Times in 1,635 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Garage
I'm sure some would argue that I got what I deserved or deserve worse. I hope the prosecutor isn't one of them. Not all police officers would have hit me with that charge and he can really mess me up if there is a conviction. I have an extra $850 on my credit card bill as an immediate result, but that's literally a fraction of my monthly expenses these days. Had to get by without a car for a week, but didn't miss going to work. Insuring a daily and a summer car for an exorbitant amount would likely end keeping a summer car. And paying more than the amount for both to cover 1 vehicle.

Normally my attitude is not at all challenging when pulled over, knowing I have recourse later. In this case, not having faced this situation before, I was unsuccessfully attempting to avoid immediate punitive action but unfortunately this guy would have no part of it. I suppose it looks better on him as well as a staff sergeant to reel in something meaty, but again I think the charge was far too severe and since I have already had an ample immediate punishment I think it should be thrown out. That is, unless they have evidence showing me guilty as charged, hands down, which I am fairly sure they don't, unless they'll prosecute based on evidence that might be left to interpretation.

There will be no point lamenting the cop's decision, even if it is dismissed after. It is what it is, and he has the authority which ultimately must be acknowledged. Otherwise people would pay no heed and just carry on as they have previously. Anyway, the FR-S is put to sleep for the next 5 months now.
5:AD kit, HKS V1+ S/C, ECUtek dyno'd, Ohlins MP20, Magnaflow cb, Revworks UEL, Topspeed overpipe, Pinnacle Ceramic tint, VG shark fin, HID's, yellow DRL's, full LEDs, red floor lights, Homelink mirror, trunk lid liner, Perrin LWCP, Valenti smoked, Flossy Grip Tape Shorty, GT86 plaque, lighted vanity mirror, Michelin PSS, Project mU +800, DOT4 fluid, 720 Form GTF1 17x8&9, stitched leather bits, EZ valve.
Old 11-02-2020, 02:49 PM   #64
Tokay444
Anti stance.

Drives: 17 White 860. RCE Tarmac 2. RE-71RS
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
A right to a fair and speedy trial is in the charter and there are no provisions for pandemics.
I have successfully argued that this right was violated on more than one occasion, unrepresented.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tokay444 For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (11-02-2020)
Old 11-03-2020, 09:44 AM   #65
wparsons

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S Manual
Thanked 3,351 Times in 2,134 Posts
Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokay444 View Post
A right to a fair and speedy trial is in the charter and there are no provisions for pandemics.
I have successfully argued that this right was violated on more than one occasion, unrepresented.

XCopper type places use that as a way to try to win ALL the time. Find reasons to delay multiple times until the right is violated and it gets tossed.
Old 11-03-2020, 11:31 AM   #66
Tokay444
Anti stance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wparsons View Post
XCopper type places use that as a way to try to win ALL the time. Find reasons to delay multiple times until the right is violated and it gets tossed.
If you delay the proceedings, you waive the right to that challenge.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tokay444 For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (11-03-2020)
Old 11-03-2020, 11:52 AM   #67
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wparsons View Post
Quote:
A trial within a "reasonable time" is usually considered to be within 18 months for a minor issue such as this. The courts can also delay beyond that if there are unforeseeable circumstances. I am pretty sure that Covid was such a circumstance in the eyes of the court but it is a moot point for at least another 16 months.
wparsons (11-10-2020)
Old 11-03-2020, 01:56 PM   #68
daiheadjai

Drives: 2003 S2000, 2008 Fit
Thanked 1,154 Times in 688 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
I think what they do is try to request information which we are constitutionally-entitled to - but they'll try to time it so that the request for disclosure falls within the time limit, but in such a way that (the hope is) the officer can't provide it in time.
Disclosure of information such as when the equipment used (e.g. in case of a speeding ticket) was last calibrated etc.
The Following User Says Thank You to daiheadjai For This Useful Post:
wparsons (11-10-2020)
Old 11-03-2020, 02:22 PM   #69
Tokay444
Anti stance.

You can do that yourself for free if those are the types of games you want to play.
You can also go the courthouse and wait for the clock to tick 24 hours from the alleged offence and ask the clerk if the ticket has been filed. If not, it must be withdrawn.
Old 11-04-2020, 08:12 AM   #70
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
You can do that yourself for free if those are the types of games you want to play.
You can also go the courthouse and wait for the clock to tick 24 hours from the alleged offence and ask the clerk if the ticket has been filed. If not, it must be withdrawn.
No.

A police officer has 7 days to file a ticket, and it could take up to 15 days for the POA court to show a record of the offence.

https://www.toronto.ca/311/knowledge...-payments.html
wparsons (11-10-2020)

Closed Thread