follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 02-20-2020, 01:33 PM   #15
wparsons

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S Manual
Thanked 3,351 Times in 2,134 Posts
Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by N_Raged View Post
Yes and it depends on a few things like weight distribution and tire pressure.

My 2019 BRZ still with its factory alignment, the outer shoulder of the rear tires makes less contact with the ground than the rest of the tire (Michelin Xi3). I can tell by how much road dust sticks to the tire tread, and how little wear there is on the outer shoulder. And this is with stock rim, stock tire size, stock tire pressure (35PSI), stock suspension; car has only 7000km.

The front tires however have virtually zero camber from the factory and they have an engine hanging over them so yes there is a lot of sidewall flex, resulting in even tread to ground contact more often.

I run 30-32 psi in my summers (currently RS4's) and 35psi in my snows (currently iPike RS'), and you can definitely see that the snows make better contact while resting than the summers. Same weight distribution, same alignment, more pressure in the snows.
Old 02-20-2020, 07:22 PM   #16
solidONE

Drives: FR-S Whiteout
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racecomp Engineering View Post
How many miles on your cars? OEM front control arm bushings?

- Andrew
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tristor View Post
I'm running -3.2F/-2.2R with 0 toe in the front, and just a bit in in the rear, and a lot of caster (8 degrees). I have very even tire wear on the street just rotating my tires normally at each oil change. My alignment isn't really intended for street use, but my car has lately gotten a lot of street miles without any issues.

I am wondering if your bushings are tired and it is causing a shift in your alignment under load? You've got more than double the miles on your car that I do and I had already replaced my bushings once (mostly for performance, but also because some were already starting to wear due to hard driving). Should definitely check them.
I have 82K miles.. Never occurred to me to check the bushings. Visual inspection it looks okay.

How did you manage 8* of caster? caster adjustment on the top and offset LCA bushings combined?
I'm sure the caster helps a ton in that department.

I did look into adding caster after the recent tire change. (What a waste of a pair of good tires... ) I was going to flip the my adjustable tops to maximize the caster (slots pointing inward and backwards) and get the rest of my camber from camber bolts instead of the top hats. That's only if I mount my coilovers.

What is the least firm aftermarket bushings available right now? Offset?

cowardice is the mother of cruelty.

Last edited by solidONE; 02-20-2020 at 07:52 PM.
solidONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 08:28 PM   #17
Decep

Drives: 2013 FR-S Series 10
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
At ~ -2.6 degrees camber in the front and 0 degrees toe, i started to get some inner wear on my MPSS towards the end of their life span. I will probably tone the camber down a bit.
Edelbrock Supercharger installed @ 50k
Decep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 11:57 AM   #18
Tristor

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by solidONE View Post
How did you manage 8* of caster? caster adjustment on the top and offset LCA bushings combined?
I'm sure the caster helps a ton in that department.

My car has a full suspension replacement from SPL Parts. I adjust caster with Front LCAs. You can also run caster offset bushings and high caster camber plates. I am running Vorschlag high caster camber plates which give me a static degree of caster additional. If clocked correctly a caster offset bushing gives 0.5 degrees.

With 1.5 degrees over stock the car really wants to be straight which makes highway driving bearable with how shitty the roads are locally, and the dynamic camber gain is significant during cornering which reduces the amount of static camber you have to run thus reducing camber wear on tires. I only run -3.2F static camber, but I have an effective dynamic camber similar to someone running -4F on stock suspension arms.
Tristor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tristor For This Useful Post:
solidONE (02-21-2020)
Old 02-21-2020, 01:28 PM   #19
solidONE

Drives: FR-S Whiteout
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tristor View Post
My car has a full suspension replacement from SPL Parts. I adjust caster with Front LCAs.
My car is 99.99% street car, and I get annoyed easily with weird noises in my car. I think I want to stay as far from metallic bearing or higher durometer bushings as I can. But then, I dont think I have would hav e too many options, if any, to gain extra caster. I'll need to take some time to really check the bushings and see who makes the softer bushings.

Edit: In case OP is looking too.

The whitelines with the relief holes looks the softest:

Powerflex makes a 'street' and a 'race' spec.

Perrin looks metal on metal:

Energy suspension with their Red or Black flavors, no offset:

cowardice is the mother of cruelty.

Last edited by solidONE; 02-21-2020 at 02:05 PM.
solidONE is offline   Reply With Quote