follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 01-02-2024, 11:06 PM   #1
Flarpswitch

Drives: 2022 BRZ Ltd, 2019 Ascent
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Added Security

I just got an offer from Subaru for the Classic Added Security extended warranty. My '22 BRZ (03/22) is the first Subaru that I did not add a 7/70K plan when purchased new. The only thing I added was the StarLink through 2029; I did the math and it added up, but I passed on the Added Security. I'm 73 and I don't see myself making any changes, but the next auto show at the convention center may inspire me. My milage gets divided up between my 22 BRZ at 8,500 miles, 2019 Ascent (5+ years old) at 26,000 miles and a 2018 RV at about 25,000 miles. If I read the offer correctly, it would add 4 years starting at 03/23/2024 which would add up to a total of 6 years from purchase date in 2022 and up to 60,000 miles from 0 miles when new. The offer is for $970. For $1,180 they would bring the miles up to 80,000. Since time and not mileage is the issue for me here I would opt for the lower offer. Honestly, money is not an issue, but I do like to get some value when I do open my wallet. I will have to call Subaru to clarify some wording in the brochure that is confusing and also if there is an offer for a plan similar to what I have on the Ascent and our previous BRZ and Forester. So, the question is if the extended coverage is worth it or should I roll the dice and see what happens? Paying out of pocket won't sink me, but it might save everyone else from hearing me bitch about the cost of repairs. You know, since Biden moved into the White House, my insurance on my vehicles, umbrella policy and homeowner policy has DOUBLED and the inflated replacement costs do not add up to the premium increases. Since I plan on keeping the BRZ for the long run, would you add extended coverage?
Old 01-03-2024, 06:40 AM   #2
x808drifter
LMGTFY

Drives: 13 FRS, 91 Miata
Thanked 3,646 Times in 1,625 Posts
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
x808drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2024, 10:37 AM   #3
Flarpswitch

Ha Ha very funny, but that reminds me of the very first extended warranty that I got sucked into. We bought a new 1989 Mazda MPV and an extended warranty that looked official enough, but it was through a company not sanctioned by Mazda. We moved from New Mexico to Oregon in 1991 and got a notice from the dealer that the extended warranty company went bankrupt as did most of those scams around that time. The selling dealer said that they would absolutely back up their car and make things right if there was a problem. Sure, but they were 1,300 miles away. As it turned out, the Mazda MPV was absolutely bullet proof and we replaced it in 1998 with a 4 wheel drive version MPV without the extra warranty. Learned my lesson. The 2014 Forester replaced the Mazda. Only reason I considered any extended coverage was because Subaru was offering it. We always buy new and keep it long term. The best used car is the one you bought new, with the exception of anything that was Chrysler/Dodge. I almost bought a new Mazda Miata when we bought the first MPV, but my head touched the frame of the convertible top and I knew that I would regret it down the road.
Old 01-03-2024, 01:36 PM   #4
FR-S2GT86
Master Collaborator

Drives: Was '15 FR-S, 6MT, Now '15 GT86
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Extended warranties offered by third party companies aren't worth the paper they are printed on.

The ones offered by the manufacturer MAY be worth it if you trust that the dealer responsible for making the repairs employs technicians that are highly skilled at what they do. Just ask all of the first generation owners that went through the valve spring recall debacle.

Your best bet, as long as you're not abusive to the car, and change the fluids more often than recommended, would be to find a mechanic that specializes in this vehicle and that you trust to make honest repairs, and who will not use aftermarket or counterfeit parts during the repair process.
Don't waste money on the gamble (and that's what all extended warranties are), especially if you are not financially strapped.
Count to muffens and call again.
I’m 40. So....... say hi to your sisters or daughters.
FR-S2GT86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FR-S2GT86 For This Useful Post:
Spuds (01-03-2024)
Old 01-03-2024, 03:17 PM   #5
Flarpswitch

As it turns out, the local Subaru dealer is the most reliable and trustworthy repair shop regardless of who pays for what. I bought the 2014 Forester (still in the family) and the 2022 BRZ there. In 2018, I bought a 2017 BRZ and a 2019 Ascent from a dealer out of town using Costco pricing because the local dealer at the time had a sales department that tried to abuse me on both sales. $9,000 difference; even if you flunked basic math you can work that out. Complete turn around at the local dealer. Apparently a new sheriff in town. What some people don't realize is that the original manufacture warranty is not free; it is baked into the price of the new car.
Old 01-03-2024, 06:55 PM   #6
Spuds
The Dictater

Drives: '13 Red Scion FRS
Thanked 12,433 Times in 6,148 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
I wouldn't get it, but I do most of the maintenance and repairs myself.

Correlation does not imply causation.
The Following User Says Thank You to Spuds For This Useful Post:
x808drifter (01-03-2024)