follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List
go_a_way1, MisterSheep

Old 12-30-2018, 08:21 PM   #20217
spitsnaugle

Drives: LS Swapped Scion FRS = 440HP
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Today:
  • Installed all new wheel studs up front - OEM too short with my 5mm spacers to clear my springs with 255 tires.
  • New brake pads front and rear.
  • Swapped interiors with a BRZ: leather heated seats, heated seat switches, armrest, back seats. So much nicer!

(sorry didnt take a photo after the center console was in)
spitsnaugle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 08:54 PM   #20218
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: GR Corolla
Thanked 3,017 Times in 1,859 Posts
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Did a brake fluid flush today. New year, new fluid I suppose. lol. In all seriousness, the brake pedal always felt worse/more travel to stop compared to OEM fluid after I had a shop change it to Torque RT700 (I used the same RT700 in my Yaris, and the brake pedal felt great).

Anyway, I decided to switch to Amsoil to give it a try since I like their products, and RT700 doesn't seem to last long before it starts turning brown...brakes now start stopping as soon as I apply the brake pedal.

Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 09:35 PM   #20219
jflogerzi

Drives: 2013 Series 10 6MT FR-S
Thanked 2,013 Times in 1,457 Posts
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaotic Lazagna View Post
Did a brake fluid flush today. New year, new fluid I suppose. lol. In all seriousness, the brake pedal always felt worse/more travel to stop compared to OEM fluid after I had a shop change it to Torque RT700 (I used the same RT700 in my Yaris, and the brake pedal felt great).

Anyway, I decided to switch to Amsoil to give it a try since I like their products, and RT700 doesn't seem to last long before it starts turning brown...brakes now start stopping as soon as I apply the brake pedal.

I am trying motul 600 for the first time. Let's see how long it lasts. Hope I can get away with a year of DD + 4-5 full track days.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk
2013 Series 10 FRS #553
RCE T2's, SPC LCAs -4/2.6 camber
JDL 4-2-1 EL, FP and OP, Tuned by Zach@CSG on e85
RR Wilwood Front/Rear Sport BBK, Motul 600 Fluid
ARC-8 17x9 SX2 GTs 245s/Koing 17x8 v730's 225's
jflogerzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 10:15 PM   #20220
Kaotic Lazagna

Quote:
Originally Posted by jflogerzi View Post
I am trying motul 600 for the first time. Let's see how long it lasts. Hope I can get away with a year of DD + 4-5 full track days.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk
I haven't really looked into brake fluids all that much, but I think DOT4 fluids absorb water/moisture quicker than DOT3. So since Motul 600 is DOT4, I'm assuming you'll get only a year out of it before it starts being noticeably brown (that's when my Torque RT700 did), especially since you'll have track days involved.

If I were you tho, I'd run a DOT3/4 or DOT3 fluid, and switch to a DOT4 with every track day, and back to DOT3/4 or DOT 3 after each track day. Although that would cost quite a bit of money, but at least you're brake fluid would be as efficient as possible for daily driving and track days separately.
Old 01-01-2019, 10:27 PM   #20221
Ashikabi

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 4,542 Times in 2,947 Posts
Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quote:
I haven't really looked into brake fluids all that much, but I think DOT4 fluids absorb water/moisture quicker than DOT3. So since Motul 600 is DOT4, I'm assuming you'll get only a year out of it before it starts being noticeably brown (that's when my Torque RT700 did), especially since you'll have track days involved.

If I were you tho, I'd run a DOT3/4 or DOT3 fluid, and switch to a DOT4 with every track day, and back to DOT3/4 or DOT 3 after each track day. Although that would cost quite a bit of money, but at least you're brake fluid would be as efficient as possible for daily driving and track days separately.
If you are replacing your fluid every time you go to the track you might as well use DOT4 every time. No reason to switch back to 3 after the track day
Ashikabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 10:51 PM   #20222
Kaotic Lazagna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashikabi View Post
If you are replacing your fluid every time you go to the track you might as well use DOT4 every time. No reason to switch back to 3 after the track day
What about price? If one is replacing their brake fluid 5+ times a year, I'm sure it'll add up quickly. Just using Amsoil as an example, their DOT4 fluid is double the price of their DOT3/4.
Old 01-01-2019, 10:56 PM   #20223
Ashikabi

Quote:
What about price? If one is replacing their brake fluid 5+ times a year, I'm sure it'll add up quickly. Just using Amsoil as an example, their DOT4 fluid is double the price of their DOT3/4.
But changing it before and after a track day is somehow cheaper? If you are changing it every 2 months, you don't need to replace it for the daily driving time between track days. Either you ruin it at the track and replace it when you get home or you replace it before going to the track, right? 2 months isn't enough time for your brake fluid to attract a significant amount of water
Old 01-01-2019, 11:15 PM   #20224
Kaotic Lazagna

Quote:
But changing it before and after a track day is somehow cheaper? If you are changing it every 2 months, you don't need to replace it for the daily driving time between track days. Either you ruin it at the track and replace it when you get home or you replace it before going to the track, right? 2 months isn't enough time for your brake fluid to attract a significant amount of water
It'd be cheaper in relation to my original reply of changing it before and after each track day.

I don't know how competitive the other poster was, but some people are really competitive, and will take into consideration anything that could be a disadvantage to them.

Like I said, I haven't done much research on brake fluid since I do not track or drive any of my cars hard at all. So, I don't know how much heat cycling the brake fluid degrades it. Also, by track days, I'm assuming large tracks with enough braking force to potentially heat up the rotors enough to glow.

If I were to track my cars now, I'd probably just stick with DOT4 and replace it every 6 months if combined with daily driving since I would be in a "gaining experience" mode rather than a full blown competitive mode. Shoot, DOT3/4 might even be good enough in that scenario.
Old 01-01-2019, 11:24 PM   #20225
VittorioS

Drives: 2015 FR-S (Steel)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
It'd be cheaper in relation to my original reply of changing it before and after each track day.

I don't know how competitive the other poster was, but some people are really competitive, and will take into consideration anything that could be a disadvantage to them.

Like I said, I haven't done much research on brake fluid since I do not track or drive any of my cars hard at all. So, I don't know how much heat cycling the brake fluid degrades it. Also, by track days, I'm assuming large tracks with enough braking force to potentially heat up the rotors enough to glow.

If I were to track my cars now, I'd probably just stick with DOT4 and replace it every 6 months if combined with daily driving since I would be in a "gaining experience" mode rather than a full blown competitive mode. Shoot, DOT3/4 might even be good enough in that scenario.
I track my car 3-4 times a month and daily drive it. I use DOT4 Motul RBF600. I wouldn't even bother changing fluids/switching back to DOT3 after every track day, that's a bit overkill.

Depending on the tracks I change it either every 3 months or every 2 months, it really just depends. I don't feel any difference in feel, but I'd rather be safe. Spending is part of tracking, gotta pay to play. $20 a bottle isn't much to ensure the brakes work.
VittorioS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 11:33 PM   #20226
Kaotic Lazagna

Quote:
Originally Posted by VittorioS View Post
I track my car 3-4 times a month and daily drive it. I use DOT4 Motul RBF600. I wouldn't even bother changing fluids/switching back to DOT3 after every track day, that's a bit overkill.

Depending on the tracks I change it either every 3 months or every 2 months, it really just depends. I don't feel any difference in feel, but I'd rather be safe. Spending is part of tracking, gotta pay to play. $20 a bottle isn't much to ensure the brakes work.
That's the reason why if I were competitively tracking, I'd change it with every track day. I wouldn't want decreased braking performance to ruin a track day for me. But like I said, I have no experience tracking, so I really don't know how long brake fluid will last in that kind of environment.

I also consider tracking and auto-x to be two different things, so I'm not sure if those that say they track mean an actual course like Leguna Seca, etc, or they count auto-x as tracking.
Old 01-01-2019, 11:41 PM   #20227
VittorioS

Drives: 2015 FR-S (Steel)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
That's the reason why if I were competitively tracking, I'd change it with every track day. I wouldn't want decreased braking performance to ruin a track day for me. But like I said, I have no experience tracking, so I really don't know how long brake fluid will last in that kind of environment.

I also consider tracking and auto-x to be two different things, so I'm not sure if those that say they track mean an actual course like Leguna Seca, etc, or they count auto-x as tracking.
Paired with the correct pads, you won't need to change fluid after every event. You can get ProjectMU fluid which changes color when it's no longer good. With little to no tracking experience I highly doubt you'll need to change fluids often right away.

I don't mean track days as in auto-x. I do circuits, I go to tracks like Buttonwillow, Chuckwalla, Willow Springs, etc.
VittorioS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 11:51 PM   #20228
Ashikabi

Quote:

Auto X is not tracking. It doesn't heat up brakes like circuits do. Until you know your are ruining brake fluid you only need to replace it ever 6 months you are tracking. If you are in a climate where the race season is short, you'll only NEED to do it once a year
The Following User Says Thank You to Ashikabi For This Useful Post:
VittorioS (01-01-2019)
Old 01-02-2019, 01:01 AM   #20229
Kaotic Lazagna

Quote:
Originally Posted by VittorioS View Post
Paired with the correct pads, you won't need to change fluid after every event. You can get ProjectMU fluid which changes color when it's no longer good. With little to no tracking experience I highly doubt you'll need to change fluids often right away.

I don't mean track days as in auto-x. I do circuits, I go to tracks like Buttonwillow, Chuckwalla, Willow Springs, etc.
Quote:
Auto X is not tracking. It doesn't heat up brakes like circuits do. Until you know your are ruining brake fluid you only need to replace it ever 6 months you are tracking. If you are in a climate where the race season is short, you'll only NEED to do it once a year

Yeah, that's what I figured since you don't get up to the speeds of a track on an auto-x course, plus the gaps between runs is long unlike the hot lapping done at track days.

Also why I said I would probably change it every 6 months if I were to start tracking plus DD'ing my cars, just for peace of mind and the fact that the Torque fluid started turning brown in a year of just plain DD'ing. Oddly enough, the RT700 lasted longer in my Yaris than it did in my FR-S.

I guess another good way to tell if your brake fluid is done for is using those test strips or devices.
Old 01-04-2019, 04:40 PM   #20230
Sapphireho
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Drives: '15 ultramarine
Thanked 18,241 Times in 8,610 Posts
Mentioned: 155 Post(s)
I made an appointment to have my Bilstein B6 and my Verus fuel flap door installed at The Racers Line on the 19th. So excite.
Sapphireho is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
:popcorn:, :popcorn: funny tags, nsfc, rice rice baby