follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS]

Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS] For all off-topic discussion topics.

User Tag List
go_a_way1

Old 01-01-2014, 02:04 AM   #309
headlikeahole

Drives: Ultramarine toyobaru
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I always hoped MS would be one of those legends to hang around in F1 for decades like Stewart or Lauda. I never got to watch either race in their time, but seeing them on the grid or doing interviews always felt special. Without the living legends, the days of Villeneuve and Senna just wouldnt feel real.

Here's hoping Schumi is still around 20 years from now when my kids or grand kids watch F1.
headlikeahole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 03:44 PM   #310
ATL BRZ
Driving Coach

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 4,137 Times in 1,707 Posts
Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
While we stay hopeful for Schumacher's full recovery...

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJwutdosNIE"]What 2014 F1 cars will look like AUTOSPORT - YouTube[/ame]
ATL BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ATL BRZ For This Useful Post:
ap5512 (01-02-2014), Doctor Who (01-02-2014), GTB/ZR-1 (01-02-2014)
Old 01-02-2014, 03:55 PM   #311
Doctor Who
Equinsu Ocha

Drives: SWP BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL BRZ View Post
While we stay hopeful for Schumacher's full recovery...
Cool video. Thanks for posting
Doctor Who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 04:46 PM   #312
GTB/ZR-1

Drives: '13 BRZ in WRB--let's mod!!!
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I still think Newey will conform to these changes quicker than anyone else, so... I have a feeling the Vettel train will continue... :-(

Here's a vid w/ a sound clip @ 2:45. They don't sound horrible, but that NA sharpness & shriek seem to have left the (dyno) building.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=LWRRv545omE"]F1 2014 V6 Turbo Engine - ERS Explained + Renault Engine Sound Clip - YouTube[/ame]

As far as Schumi--no news seems to be good news right now. I met a German couple here on New Years & asked abt Schumi. His good mood seemed immediately dampened when I mentioned it. I told him that I was never a fan, but respected his immense talent & hoped that he would pull through this. He genuinely thanked me for the good wishes... Get well, Michael!
* '09 Nissan GT-R--gone, but not forgotten... 10.63 @ 131+ on streeties.
* '90 ZR-1 11.0 @ 130.2 & 11.2 @ 132.4 sprayed 120 shot.
GTB/ZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GTB/ZR-1 For This Useful Post:
ap5512 (01-02-2014)
Old 01-07-2014, 12:03 PM   #313
F1fletch

Drives: 13 FR-S AT
Hi Guys, looks like his condition hasn't changed and remains stable but critical.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/112046

I have been a Schumi fan for many, many years good bad and ugly at times. Wishing him a full recovery!!
F1fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 06:12 PM   #314
serialk11r

Drives: '06 AM V8V Coupe
Thanked 1,074 Times in 759 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTB/ZR-1 View Post
I still think Newey will conform to these changes quicker than anyone else, so... I have a feeling the Vettel train will continue... :-(

Here's a vid w/ a sound clip @ 2:45. They don't sound horrible, but that NA sharpness & shriek seem to have left the (dyno) building.
I don't get why they set rpm limits when there's already a longevity restriction and a fuel restriction. Why don't they allow the engines to spin up to 18000 and let the drivers manage the fuel usage? That would be more fun, and it would push manufacturers to try and figure out how to make engines last longer under higher stress. Besides, if they shoot for the same horsepower goals it might even be preferable from an efficiency perspective to have less boost, because that would mean better response and higher compression ratios (3 bar is no joke). If you think about it, 3 bar boost is perhaps a 3x increase in BMEP with decent intercooling, 1.6L is 2/3 the original displacement, and 15000 vs 18000 is like 25% less power, the ERS adds another 5-7% power, so these engines should be capable of pumping out ~1200hp, and will end up burning more fuel. Environmentally friendly my ass.

Also the video explains it wrong, the ERS is just an electric turbo like BMW's proposed system. The motor can spin up the turbo for faster (and more) boost, and limit the turbo's speed at high boost and recover energy.
serialk11r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 07:54 PM   #315
cfusionpm

Drives: Firestorm 6MT Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
What might the 2014 cars look like?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jSTNd6Mqqs"]What 2014 Ferrari and F1 cars will look like? - YouTube[/ame]

2013 Firestorm 6MT Scion FR-S
cfusionpm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cfusionpm For This Useful Post:
YukiHachiRoku (02-09-2014)
Old 01-08-2014, 11:35 AM   #316
mike the snake

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
The whole "green" thing is BS IMO. There's nothing green about racing, it's one of the last few excessive, over-the-top things left in today's world. I say let them build and design what they want, let the racers race all-out, instead of insanely complex "green" cars and tires that crap out and keep the drivers from actually racing the other racers, instead they're racing the tires.

I read that more fuel is used by ONE 747 flight than in all the F1 cars for a whole season. If they wanted to be green, why not make the damn jets into hybrids! lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by serialk11r View Post
I don't get why they set rpm limits when there's already a longevity restriction and a fuel restriction. Why don't they allow the engines to spin up to 18000 and let the drivers manage the fuel usage? That would be more fun, and it would push manufacturers to try and figure out how to make engines last longer under higher stress. Besides, if they shoot for the same horsepower goals it might even be preferable from an efficiency perspective to have less boost, because that would mean better response and higher compression ratios (3 bar is no joke). If you think about it, 3 bar boost is perhaps a 3x increase in BMEP with decent intercooling, 1.6L is 2/3 the original displacement, and 15000 vs 18000 is like 25% less power, the ERS adds another 5-7% power, so these engines should be capable of pumping out ~1200hp, and will end up burning more fuel. Environmentally friendly my ass.

Also the video explains it wrong, the ERS is just an electric turbo like BMW's proposed system. The motor can spin up the turbo for faster (and more) boost, and limit the turbo's speed at high boost and recover energy.
mike the snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 02:44 PM   #317
rice_classic

Drives: Nevermorange FRS
Thanked 4,200 Times in 1,803 Posts
Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike the snake View Post
The whole "green" thing is BS IMO. There's nothing green about racing, it's one of the last few excessive, over-the-top things left in today's world. I say let them build and design what they want, let the racers race all-out, instead of insanely complex "green" cars and tires that crap out and keep the drivers from actually racing the other racers, instead they're racing the tires.
I used color coding so that I could keep up!

You may not like it but Colin Chapman was able to beat Ferrari by going green, we just didn't call it that back then but he made the cars lighter in so much as being lighter allowed the car to be faster it also mean it could go the race distance carrying less fuel. Efficiency in racing is as old as racing itself.

There's something very "green" about racing and that's because it's a technology test bed which carries over to road cars. Recently the advancement of new and more efficient hybrid technology in road cars and the adoption of Direct Injection are both benefits seen from racing development. So in that respect the development in efficiency in racing helps the development in efficiency manufacturers apply to road cars.

This is true due to its nature but I don't think it's the reason to celebrate it. What makes it great is that it's the pinnacle of motor racing, not that it's the pinnacle of waste. That's my opinion. Lately I've been looking at LeMans as the pinnacle because we've been seeing a lot more development there. Diesels, Delta Wings, AWD-hybrids etc. From an engineering perspective I think LeMans is doing it better than F1.

In my opinion the problems facing F1 isn't "going green", it's "going SPEC". They look, function and sound the same. If they were really trying to go green they could do in way that you and I would love by opening the rules. Simply limit (by a lot) the amount of fuel they can burn but not limit the "electric output" of whatever system they develop... Fuel cell, Graphene batteries, hydrogen combustion, ERS, 4 wheel electric motors, using the engine as a generator.. whatever! To me, they're trying to advance technology WITH rules when technology often advances much faster without them.

Couldn't agree more. This has nothing to do with going green however.
Old 01-08-2014, 02:54 PM   #318
rice_classic

Drives: Nevermorange FRS
Thanked 4,200 Times in 1,803 Posts
Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
I'm excited for this honestly. I personally don't think the electric future will suck. So long as something has wheels, it will be raced.

http://www.fiaformulae.com/

Electric burnouts
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gdqiMw3TAw"]Electric Burn-out on the streets of Los Angeles - FIA Formula E - YouTube[/ame]
Old 01-08-2014, 05:54 PM   #319
serialk11r

Drives: '06 AM V8V Coupe
Thanked 1,074 Times in 759 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike the snake View Post

I read that more fuel is used by ONE 747 flight than in all the F1 cars for a whole season. If they wanted to be green, why not make the damn jets into hybrids! lol
Well yea, a 747 burns 5 gallons per second or something (while an F1 car burns 5 gallons...in 10 minutes?).

I still think they should just have no restrictions except fuel capacity and total race duration fuel usage. Imagine you had 1200hp on tap but could only use 800 or else you'd run out of fuel before finishing, that would create some very interesting driving
serialk11r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 09:36 AM   #320
cfusionpm

Drives: Firestorm 6MT Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
From Alonso's FB page:

Doesn't seem like it'll be nearly as bad as many sketch artists predicted. The nose is definitely thinner, but not awful by any means.

2013 Firestorm 6MT Scion FR-S
cfusionpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 04:53 PM   #321
F1fletch

Drives: 13 FR-S AT
Things are ramping up with teaser shots of the new Force India and Williams.
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/112235
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/112221

Great read on new power units here:
http://www.formula1blog.com/formula-...-engine-works/

Enjoy!
F1fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to F1fletch For This Useful Post:
GTB/ZR-1 (01-23-2014)
Old 01-23-2014, 06:55 PM   #322
GTB/ZR-1

Drives: '13 BRZ in WRB--let's mod!!!
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
It'll be here before we know it.

Going to try & get to see some of the 24 race this weekend if I can make it to Daytona. Worst case on TV.

Get better Michael...
* '09 Nissan GT-R--gone, but not forgotten... 10.63 @ 131+ on streeties.
* '90 ZR-1 11.0 @ 130.2 & 11.2 @ 132.4 sprayed 120 shot.
GTB/ZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
no mikey nooo, supersupermaxmax, waawaaalewis