follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 01-10-2014, 06:13 PM   #1
nodeal

Drives: Scion FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Thinking of trading in my FRS...

Don't get me wrong, this is a great car.

It is a bit slow, but there are awesome aftermarket companies making plenty of FI options. Also, the balance and handling are godly, and make up a little for the lack of power.

My real issue is the size of the car. I'm 6'4, and at first when I bought the car I was all like, "Yeah, it's a little tight but I can make this work." But now, having the car as my daily driver for 10 months, it's getting annoying. Also, feeling the steering wheel hit my legs is annoying, especially when I'm turning the wheel.

It's not terrible. I can get comfortable in the car, but I guess after a while I'm beginning to think it wasn't the best choice. Combine this with the car being underpowered, and I'm starting to consider trading in the car.

I wonder if I went FI, would I be as bothered by the fact that the car is a bit too small for me? I don't know... I was thinking about trading this in for something like the Hyundai Genesis R spec.

If you guys were going to trade this car in, what would you get? Obviously nothing smaller than the FRS. Any suggestions?
nodeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 06:32 PM   #2
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,476 Times in 4,997 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Focus ST? My old roommate is 6'4" and likes his Focus, will depend on your leg to torso ratio though. Double win though, increase in power to weight and functionality.

You'll be out some agility due to the height requirement no matter your choice (unless you decide convertible is the solution) but an uncomfortable car is an uncomfortable car.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 06:33 PM   #3
Byebye

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I would go back to an EVO X.
Byebye is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Byebye For This Useful Post:
jbsali (01-14-2014), stilletto (01-10-2014), suaveflooder (01-16-2014)
Old 01-10-2014, 06:33 PM   #4
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,813 Times in 16,424 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nodeal View Post
................ Also, feeling the steering wheel hit my legs is annoying, especially when I'm turning the wheel.........
Even with the wheel tilted all the way up .... ??

Sounds like you need a car like a Corvette .... got power and room ....

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 06:38 PM   #5
stilletto

Drives: 2008 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS
I joined this Forum last year in preparation of buying a BRZ, but ultimately ended up with a WRX. I'm now looking to trade, and am considering three cars. Again, a Subaru BRZ, a Mitsubishi Evo X, and what I REALLY want, a BMW 135i. ..would be boosting the BRZ though.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
stilletto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 06:43 PM   #6
Starkiller

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S 10 series
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Whats important to you in your next car? Do you want something faster, something that handles great, or just bigger? Is it only going to be a DD, or are you wanting something for spirited driving? All the choices listed above were good options. Except for the Hyundai. LOL! Happy Hunting!
Starkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 07:22 PM   #7
cycleboy

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S - Argento
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I'm 6'3" and fit just fine, but I'm thin and maybe different leg to torso proportions than you.
cycleboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 07:32 PM   #8
FRSfan111
Sideways and smiling!

Drives: First 86 FRS 5/8/2012 (second US)
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
I'm just shy of 6'4" athletic and long legged and I don't have any problems fittin in the car. And I've had my car for 3 months shy of 2 years. DD and track driven. So I don't comprehend ur fitment issues. But every1 is built different lol. As for more power though I'd be going Evo/STI or maybe even the new turbo 4 stang.
FRSfan111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 07:47 PM   #9
BadMoon

Drives: 2014 GLI Autobahn/Nav
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Yo man you need a Buick like Shaq.
BadMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BadMoon For This Useful Post:
cooldandani (01-10-2014), eSOLOR (01-10-2014)
Old 01-10-2014, 07:52 PM   #10
nodeal

I'm a pretty big guy at 6'4 and 240 pounds. I got long legs, so thats where most of my height is. I have an issue with the leg room, not so much with the head room.

Even if the wheel all the way up, I still feel my legs getting in the way especially when my left leg is letting up on the clutch, or when the right leg is on the brake. It is annoying when I'm trying to turn the wheel.

For such a small car, it really does fit me surprisingly well which is why I thought I would be okay when I first bought it. Unfortunately it's starting to get on my nerves now.

After driving this car, handling is more important than it was before I bought the car because I see how great handling can make driving so much fun! However I really feel from beginning to end this car is underpowered. I am coming from a freakin '97 camry (anything is fast compared to that), and even I said from day one this FRS was underpowered.

I need something that is fast, and preferably turbo'd so I can chip the car and make it faster. Speed is a big thing for me. I'm not gonna lie, I want something as fast as possible for as cheap as possible. I also prefer RWD. I wouldn't particularly mind AWD though.

I've always been ehh about American cars.

I'm so sad even thinking about giving this car up. I wish I was more comfortable in it!
Old 01-10-2014, 07:56 PM   #11
nodeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRSfan111 View Post
I'm just shy of 6'4" athletic and long legged and I don't have any problems fittin in the car. And I've had my car for 3 months shy of 2 years. DD and track driven. So I don't comprehend ur fitment issues. But every1 is built different lol. As for more power though I'd be going Evo/STI or maybe even the new turbo 4 stang.
lol dude it's been awhile since I measure… maybe I am 6'5 now idk lol but My legs do get very close to the steering wheel, my hands bump my legs sometimes when turning, getting in and out all of the time is annoying. It's not even like I'm out of shape... I work out regularly and am very much in shape and fit.

Your legs don't hit the steering wheel? What about with right foot on brake or on left clutch (if you have m/t)?
Old 01-10-2014, 08:11 PM   #12
EZ Shifter

Drives: Millennium Falcon
Quote:
Originally Posted by nodeal View Post
I need something that is fast, and preferably turbo'd so I can chip the car and make it faster. Speed is a big thing for me. I'm not gonna lie, I want something as fast as possible for as cheap as possible. I also prefer RWD. I wouldn't particularly mind AWD though

The new C7 Corvette is the way to go. 450 HP with the base Corvette and plenty of leg room and power. The C7 switches over from 8 to 4 cylinders if cruising down the highway, delivering over 30 mpg! Test drive one then order a base model from Chevy for $52,000. If you can, sell your FR-S for over $20,000 to a private party and borrow or spring for the rest.

Your 2014 C7 will hold it's value because it now competes with supercars in the $100,000 to $200,000 dollar range.

I owned 3 old C3 Corvette Stingrays and they all held their value over the years.

Just test drive one to believe me. You won't be disappointed with this American Car!

Cheers,
EZ
EZ Shifter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to EZ Shifter For This Useful Post:
leicaboss (01-13-2014)
Old 01-10-2014, 08:13 PM   #13
TruRace

Drives: FRS-Raven-MT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I'm 6'2" and I feel like the car is a bit small. I don't hit my legs on the seeing wheel or anything like that. I do feel like I need to fold myself up when I get in the car though, but once i'm in its alright. I can't imagine if I was any taller though. The Genesis Coupe Spec R is nice. Definitely more spacious inside.
TruRace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 08:28 PM   #14
oldpueblo

Drives: Scion FR-S 10 #853
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Just to be thorough, you guys are pumping (straight down, not leaning back) the seat all the way down and telescoping the wheel right? I'm 6"1 and to me there's tons of room. I actually scoot closer to the wheel because it feels more go-cart like.
oldpueblo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to oldpueblo For This Useful Post:
NWFRS (01-10-2014)