follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine Swaps

Engine Swaps Discussion of engine swaps.

User Tag List

Old 12-06-2016, 10:50 PM   #1
Eris-time

Drives: Fast looking but slow
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
WGP?CXR LS Kit (need feedback)

Hi, I am going to be straightforward and frank.

I am asking those who have done the LS swap, I need feedback on the LS kits from WGP and CX Racing. Also, If you used another kit.

1)What kit did you use?

2)Which functions of the car did you lose? (if any)

3)What do you know about WGP's in-house installation of the LS kit?

4)Any other relevant information would be great (things to look out for, advice etc.)

Again, I am asking those who have done the LS swap.

Eris-time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 04:26 PM   #2
turbocat

Drives: 13 BRZ SSM
I've only researched one WGP build and that's their shop car. I've only researched one cx build and that was their development car. Haven't seen anyone on here that has either. Hopefully someone will chime in that owns one. Not sure how much you've read yet about the LS swaps, but there is a ton of info now and there is a bunch of reading to do. My suggestion is start with the vorshlag LS swap thread. Then go from there. There is no easy full diy kit yet but there is a lot in the works. Good luck.
turbocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 11:20 AM   #3
Eris-time

Drives: Fast looking but slow
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbocat View Post
I've only researched one WGP build and that's their shop car. I've only researched one cx build and that was their development car. Haven't seen anyone on here that has either. Hopefully someone will chime in that owns one. Not sure how much you've read yet about the LS swaps, but there is a ton of info now and there is a bunch of reading to do. My suggestion is start with the vorshlag LS swap thread. Then go from there. There is no easy full diy kit yet but there is a lot in the works. Good luck.
Thanks for the info, I do hope somebody chimes in.

WGP and CX racing make it sound like they can do a full working swap for you
Eris-time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 11:52 AM   #4
DustinS

Drives: 2013 Ultramarine FR-S
Thanked 1,412 Times in 804 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eris-time View Post
Thanks for the info, I do hope somebody chimes in.

WGP and CX racing make it sound like they can do a full working swap for you
CX Racing Cannot. WGP says they can, but I'm not sure anyone has seen a car they have done that has everything working.
Old 12-16-2016, 01:30 PM   #5
BRZoomTX

Drives: '13 BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
CX is just engine and transmission mounts with exhaust. They do not offer anything beyond the components needed to make the swap fit physically.
Old 12-17-2016, 11:52 AM   #6
Spartarus
...Just add nauseum

Drives: 2003 (AP1) S2000
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
A little while back, a member of this forum bought the full kit from WGP.

He had a build thread. It devolved into a thread about how awful the kit quality was, how poorly the parts fit, how incomplete the solution was, and it went downhill from there.

A little bag of dog sh*t labeled "wiring" showed up on his porch, with 3 wires in it, and that was about the end of it.

They supposedly have billet mounts now. Maybe they've matured a bit.

...Or maybe they haven't.

If you buy either kit, don't expect anything more than hard parts, and expect to need to modify some of them.

If you don't own grinders and a minimum of a MIG welder, this is not the project for you.

There are zero "bolt-on" swaps.

There are many ways to displace.

-Spartarus
Spartarus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Spartarus For This Useful Post:
turbocat (12-18-2016)
Old 12-17-2016, 05:09 PM   #7
HTA_EVO8

Drives: Blue lotus exige
Wait for the vorshlag kit
HTA_EVO8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 04:38 AM   #8
cf6mech

Drives: FRS Silver LS1 swapped.
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Have the Vorschlag kit, have logged over 10k miles on it. Absolutely no problems. At first was driving it with no gauges, drove it conservatively for a month or so making sure I checked fluid levels.With the Can bus not receiving any messages it goes in a default mode where you get degraded electronic power steering and a fuel gage that works in three increments, full,half,empty.....in other words it's drivable. Added analog gauges for temp, oil pressure and oil temp.....drove it a little less conservatively. Now working with MRS Electronics with there prototype can-bus translator/gateway device have full power steering, RPM/Tach, and a fully functional fuel gage tested to 1/8 of a tank with low fuel light illuminating on dash. As of yet no traction control or ABS, or cruise control. Others may want these but if it stops here I would be more than satisfied as I'm an older guy that grew up driving cars without ABS, traction control. ABS would be nice though.
cf6mech is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to cf6mech For This Useful Post:
civicdrivr (01-24-2017), M1K3 (12-18-2016), turbocat (12-18-2016), wooly35 (12-19-2016)
Old 12-18-2016, 04:34 PM   #9
Amir Ghadiri

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Garage
I have the CX Swap & Turbo kit. The CX kit is hardware only. You will have to do everything yourself. There are easy ways to retain Electronic Power Steering, AC, and Tach. A kind member on here helped me with EPS and Tach, and I'm sure he would be willing to help you as well if you reach out to him. Other functions surely could be retained, but most choose not to.

The quality of the CX swap kit is pretty good. I do think the turbo kit could've been designed better (turbo placement does not allow for a proper oil drain & makes you put the alternator up high where it interferes with the hood), but overall its good. If you are planning to go NA or S/C, the CX swap kit would be a great option. I wouldn't use the turbo kit again, more trouble than its worth. If you wish to turbo, use the CX top mount kit for LSx 240 (Will only fit with a wire tuck/fuse box relocation) or the STS Rear Mount kit for FR-S.

Based on my experience, my recommendation if you wish to go FI w/ your LSx swap: CX Swap kit, CTS-V Factory Supercharger. Will have to cut the hood for the S/C but it will work well.
Amir Ghadiri is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Amir Ghadiri For This Useful Post:
hmong337 (01-21-2017), ILLSMOQ (01-23-2017)
Old 01-21-2017, 12:42 PM   #10
catchingcolds

Drives: brz ls2, vr6 corrado
Garage
I have the WGP original shop car, a couple things are the cel is on, cruise doesnt work, trunk buttons don't worn, heated seats don't work, and fuel gauge isn't reading right (will read full when full, after several miles will drop down to 1/2, then after several more mile will drop to E with fuel light on. I havent had time to look into these issues. The owner of WGP contacted me a couple nights ago (very impressed he messaged me) said to give him a call with whatever issues I have, they have upgradede their kit with cam bus illiminator and said they have upgraded there kit since the original. Right now car car is a beast, very clean installation, looks like it came that way from the factory. Hope it helps, I would recomend them.
catchingcolds is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to catchingcolds For This Useful Post:
ILLSMOQ (01-21-2017), Sportsguy83 (01-23-2017)
Old 01-21-2017, 04:40 PM   #11
ILLSMOQ

Drives: 2017 WR BLUE BRZ
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by catchingcolds View Post
I have the WGP original shop car, a couple things are the cel is on, cruise doesnt work, trunk buttons don't worn, heated seats don't work, and fuel gauge isn't reading right (will read full when full, after several miles will drop down to 1/2, then after several more mile will drop to E with fuel light on. I havent had time to look into these issues. The owner of WGP contacted me a couple nights ago (very impressed he messaged me) said to give him a call with whatever issues I have, they have upgradede their kit with cam bus illiminator and said they have upgraded there kit since the original. Right now car car is a beast, very clean installation, looks like it came that way from the factory. Hope it helps, I would recomend them.
I was surprised that thing was for sale for so long. Looks like a great build. How is it to drive?

Are you going to check into their "can bus solution"? I'd be interested to know what they've figured out.
ILLSMOQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 09:50 AM   #12
DustinS

Drives: 2013 Ultramarine FR-S
Thanked 1,412 Times in 804 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amir Ghadiri View Post
I do think the turbo kit could've been designed better (turbo placement does not allow for a proper oil drain & makes you put the alternator up high where it interferes with the hood), but overall its good.
Thanks. I was just looking at it. For the price of the Vorshlag headers, I could piece together almost a full turbo set-up. Was looking into the CX Racing Turbo kit. Looks like I'll go back to looking at Down and forward/up and forward turbo manifolds.
Old 01-25-2017, 03:16 PM   #13
Amir Ghadiri

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DustinS View Post
Thanks. I was just looking at it. For the price of the Vorshlag headers, I could piece together almost a full turbo set-up. Was looking into the CX Racing Turbo kit. Looks like I'll go back to looking at Down and forward/up and forward turbo manifolds.

Go S/C or rear mount turbo IMO. Not worth the trouble otherwise. Too much work when you could just spend some money on good heads and a cam to make the same power.
Amir Ghadiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 04:01 PM   #14
Bullitt2496

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amir Ghadiri View Post
Go S/C or rear mount turbo IMO. Not worth the trouble otherwise. Too much work when you could just spend some money on good heads and a cam to make the same power.
Supercharging has some hood clearance issues depending on what type you use.

But agreed... heads/cam can make similar power on the right setup.