follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Detailing, Body Repairs)

Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Detailing, Body Repairs) Wash, Wax, Details, Repairs

User Tag List
FReSh, hobojoker, Jayde, radroach

Old 03-26-2013, 08:27 PM   #1
Greg Gellas

Drives: S2000, Acura TSX
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
BRZ imported from PA to get Opti-Coat from Greg Gellas

I had another client bring his new BRZ in for a 1 step polishing and Opti-Coat Pro application. After coming from PA I had some really nice extra's I was going to give him.

Having not been washed by the dealership, which was great, and having the car for a few weeks left the car in a less then desirable condition. You can see all the salt from our recent snowstorms. Not to mention we were expecting one today.

I began with the wheels and tires. You can see what I started with. I used P21 Total Auto Wash, Tuff shine tire cleaner, and a Tuff shine tire brush to clean the tires, which required 4 cleanings. The wheels were cloaked in Sonax Full Effect and were cleaning using wheel woolies, ez detail brush, a boar’s hairbrush and a sponge.

After rinsing the car with some water to get the light debris off I sprayed Iron X over the entire surface to decontaminate. Following up with a 50/50 Dawn and Chemical Guys Citrus wash and clear wash. After the wash I re-foamed the entire car and using a nanoskin wash mitt decontaminated the surface even more.

I pulled it in and dried it using my blower and a ww mf towel. It was snowing while I was washing, so I wanted to get it inside ASAP.

Taping off trim is very important. This 6mm 3m tape is ideal to cover just the gasket between the Hood and front bumper.

Here, I taped off specific areas to correct the upper part of the bumper. Each area I do I tape, then remove the tape. I never let tape sit on the surface longer than needed. If tape is left too long, residue can become an issue.

After inspection, a 1-step polishing was perfect to amp up the gloss. I decided on optimums hyper polish, this is a spray polish that works great for a 1 step polishing. I then polished the entire car using a Rupes white pad and a Rupes polisher. These really are the future for paint correction.

I then polished the glass, I did this to ensure everything was removed, including any water spots. I was prepping for a nice surprise for the owner.

For my first bonus I was applying Opti-Glass.

After cleaning the surface using an IPA mixture I used a suede applicator to apply the Opti-Glass.

After about 1 minute I move on and leveled the Opti-Glass.

For my second surprise to the client I decided to upgrade his Opti-Coat. He had shown interest in the warranty kit, and declined due to the additional cost, I decided to order him a warranty for his coating. The warranty kit comes in its own slick packaging.

I figured it was the least I could do, he was moving to Michigan the following day and wanted to ensure he was always protected. Inside you will find the registration card, a copy of the warranty and 10CC's of opti-coat pro. With every warranty kit, all 10cc's should be used on the entire vehicle.

After an Ipa wipe down over EVERY inch of the car. Using a separate suede applicator than the Opti-Glass one I moved on to the actual application of the Opti-Coat PRO. Please excuse the debris on the lens. Here you can see the rear valence getting Opti with a 50/50 shot.

Finally, after application this is what you should see, an empty tube of Opti-coat, a totally clean applicator, and a clean leveling Microfiber towel. If dirt is present then you didn't properly prep the car.

In addition to the above bonuses, the tires got a coating Tuff shine tire clear coat. This product leaves a nice matte finish, which is dry to the touch.

Don't forget to roll the car back or forward to ensure the entire tire gets coated.

What did we end up with after all this? Here are the after pictures.

As ALWAYS, thanks for looking. Greg Gellas
Greg Gellas is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Greg Gellas For This Useful Post:
clzzical (03-27-2013), TommyFive (03-26-2013)
Old 03-26-2013, 10:04 PM   #2
TommyFive

Drives: 2013 WRB BRZ-P, 2002 Focus LX
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I'm looking forward to having you work on my BRZ! Whenever it arrives stateside, that is.

Great work as always!
TommyFive is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TommyFive For This Useful Post:
Greg Gellas (03-27-2013)
Old 03-27-2013, 10:44 AM   #3
FReSh
Dirt Trackin'

Drives: '13 Raven FR-S MT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Looks great! See you in a few days
FReSh is offline   Reply With Quote