follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List

Old 09-23-2019, 04:48 PM   #1
prandelia

Drives: 2015 FRS
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
OE Axle rebuild

Has anyone else tried this? Since I'm running NA/stock-ish power, I am going to run stock axles, but re-pack them with good high temp grease, like Redline CV-2, and include a small shim under the clamps to vent heat. This is a pretty typical method for motorsports applications.

After alot of investigation, while static axle angle is indeed part of the problem, it isn't the only one, it's the angle increase under load that seems to be an even bigger issue, which is a problem with lowered cars (less anti-squat) running relatively soft rear spring rates. If you can run higher spring rates (solid subframe bushings really help you to do this), then you can limit the angle increase under load, and prevent excessive heat and wear while cornering.

Also, by "raising" your subframe (with SPL kit), you can re-gain some of the anti-squat geometry that you lose when lowering your car. That's what I've done. While some may say you want to get rid of the anti-squat, after driving my car at Road America, I honestly have zero complaints on handling, it was brilliantly neutral, a bit on the loose side, so we just worked on giving the rear more grip, which was easy to do between bars and shock adjustments.

I have a nice set of '17 axles with only 7K miles, that I'll rebuild this offseason for the full race season in 2020, and keep us posted on how they hold up. Any feedback/tips on what others have done for OE axles is greatly appreciated!

prandelia is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to prandelia For This Useful Post:
86_IT (09-23-2019)
Old 09-23-2019, 11:38 PM   #2
86_IT

Drives: 2013 Satin White Pearl BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I have a set I may rebuild as spares as well. Just swapped in fresh 500 mile axles tonight.
Old 09-23-2019, 11:45 PM   #3
Totemo_Hayai

Drives: 2013 FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Are you currently having an issue with blown axles with stockish power?

I used Redline CV-2 in my previous racecar which was in ITA/H4 Integra. It was NA and made the factory rated horsepower at the wheels. Prior to using CV-2 grease I would go through multiple axles in a weekend. This is a common problem for 2nd Gen Integra racecars due to being FWD and having severe angles. When re-packing the axles I would use 1 oz less grease than what was specified in the service manual to mitigate expansion. I didn't bother trying to use a vent. I did not have axle problems after doing this.

My 2013 FRS experienced one inner boot failure over 7 race weekends. This axle likely had over 100k miles on it at the time of failure. It was replaced with a junk yard axle which is still working and the axle on the other side is likely still original. I bought new boots for the old axle and will rebuild it using the same procedure I used for the Integra. My car also has stockish power due to being a T4 car. I think most RWD cars do not have axle failure issues at stock power.
86_IT (09-24-2019)
Old 10-01-2023, 11:46 PM   #4
drivermodca

Drives: 2014 Scion FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Reviving this ancient thread.

I have about 80k hard track miles on FRS axles that have been totally problem free. I'm rebuilding the car, and I'm thinking it would be wise to replace the CV joints with grease.

Can anybody tell me how much Redline CV-2 is needed per joint? I'm having an impossible time finding any information on rebuilding these axles.
drivermodca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2023, 08:49 AM   #5
blsfrs

Drives: 2013 frs base
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
It's hard to find a definitive answer on this one. And make sure to put them back together exactly as they came apart.

https://www.ft86club.com/forums/show...+grease&page=3
blsfrs is offline   Reply With Quote