follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List

Old 02-21-2020, 11:36 AM   #3823
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,470 Times in 4,993 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breadman View Post
not to split hairs but youd be in XS B since removing the spare would drop you below the 2750lb limit of A
The chassis will never ever be competitive in XSB, leave the spare in and you'll add some weight with the power adders (whether turbo, super, or an engine swap) along with wider wheels. XSB will be <2200# MR2s and Miatas making over 400hp.

Ballasting up to minimum weights is the way to go, from autox to F1.

Edit, you don't even need to remove the spare to be underweight for XSA, just run half a tank of gas, this car is pretty well poised for XSA.

Last edited by strat61caster; 02-21-2020 at 11:46 AM.
strat61caster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 12:37 PM   #3824
Breadman

Drives: 2017 BRZ w/PP
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
If you're serious about an XSA car I think you'll dump $10k+ into the engine, you'll want to push >350whp methinks, which will eat trannys. You'll be playing on 295-315 wide tires so you're not saving much on tires even though they're 200tw.

Does LPSP allow update backdate? I'd go play in DSP if cost was a concern, the car makes good power on E85 and not cutting the fenders should keep you on <275 tires. A 315/30/18 BFG is more expensive than a 275/35/17 A7.

But if competitiveness isn't a priority play with whatever tires make you happy.
Quote:
The chassis will never ever be competitive in XSB, leave the spare in and you'll add some weight with the power adders (whether turbo, super, or an engine swap) along with wider wheels. XSB will be <2200# MR2s and Miatas making over 400hp.

Ballasting up to minimum weights is the way to go, from autox to F1.

Edit, you don't even need to remove the spare to be underweight for XSA, just run half a tank of gas, this car is pretty well poised for XSA.

i didnt even think about adding weight. you can probably stack up a bunch of aero or run these bad boys
Breadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 08:57 AM   #3825
cjd

Drives: 2017 BRZ
Thanked 2,925 Times in 1,712 Posts
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clutch Dog View Post
unless its factory equipped with the lip, side skirts, and diffuser

the wing is a no no unless you do a full conversion.,
Along as another model has the factory lip and skirts for the same year, they're specifically allowed. But nothing aftermarket obviously. I believe the ts wing would also be allowed. Section 14.2F
Quote:
F. Addition of spoilers, splitters, rear wings, bumper covers, valances, side
skirts, and non-functional scoops/vents is allowed provided that either:
1. It is a production part which is standard or optional equipment of a
US model of the vehicle. (“Model” is defined in Section 12.)
2020 rulebook definition of "model" makes me think the FRS and 86 can also use Subaru factory aero. May not care about year any more either. Have to reread.
Old 02-24-2020, 03:00 PM   #3826
DocWalt

Drives: '22 BRZ
Thanked 1,455 Times in 759 Posts
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Unfortunately the powers that be still have the FR-S and BRZ on different lines so they're the same damn car but not, so you still can't run the nice looking TRD spoiler on a BRZ...
DocWalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 03:31 PM   #3827
JohnJuan

Drives: 2013 FR-S, Hot Lava; 2012 Z1000 CBO
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjd View Post
Along as another model has the factory lip and skirts for the same year, they're specifically allowed. But nothing aftermarket obviously. I believe the ts wing would also be allowed. Section 14.2F

2020 rulebook definition of "model" makes me think the FRS and 86 can also use Subaru factory aero. May not care about year any more either. Have to reread.

I'm not seeing that

Quote:
model A group of cars of a given make which have virtually identical bodies and chassis but are readily distinguished from other models of the same make by virtue of a major difference in body appearance and/or chassis design. The names by which the manufacturer designates these groups have no bearing on this definition even though two (2) groups may be designated identically.
Scion, Toyota and Subaru are all separate makes from each other.

Page 69 of Draft B of 2020 rules, found here:
https://www.scca.com/pages/solo-cars-and-rules

https://www.scca.com/downloads/49002...02-14/download
Old 02-24-2020, 06:53 PM   #3828
cjd

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnJuan View Post
I'm not seeing that

Scion, Toyota and Subaru are all separate makes from each other.

Page 69 of Draft B of 2020 rules, found here:
https://www.scca.com/pages/solo-cars-and-rules

https://www.scca.com/downloads/49002...02-14/download

Grr. How'd I misread that. Thanks. But I still think the specific aero bits called out can move between trim levels and years without update/backdate, in whole or in part.
Old 02-25-2020, 05:20 PM   #3829
JohnJuan

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjd View Post
Grr. How'd I misread that. Thanks. But I still think the specific aero bits called out can move between trim levels and years without update/backdate, in whole or in part.
I don't think so.

Quote:

F. Addition of spoilers, splitters, rear wings, bumper covers, valances, side
skirts, and non-functional scoops/vents is allowed provided that either:
1. It is a production part which is standard or optional equipment of a
US model of the vehicle. (“Model” is defined in Section 12.)

Quote:
model A group of cars of a given make which have virtually identical bodies and chassis but are readily distinguished from other models of the same make by virtue of a major difference in body appearance and/or chassis design. The names by which the manufacturer designates these groups have no bearing on this definition even though two (2) groups may be designated identically.

The BRZ, FR-S and 86 are different models. As such, BRZ parts are not "a production part which is standard or optional equipment of a US model of the" FR-S.
Old 02-25-2020, 05:24 PM   #3830
JohnJuan

Garage
It's not letting me edit, but I changed my mind. Yes, it would read that you can put those tS parts on a same-year BRZ. I'm unsure of the update-backdate restrictions, though.
Old 02-25-2020, 06:41 PM   #3831
cjd

Garage
Quote:
I don't think so.

The BRZ, FR-S and 86 are different models. As such, BRZ parts are not "a production part which is standard or optional equipment of a US model of the" FR-S.

Correct, my previous comment said that due to a misread I can't explain. The one you quoted was states trim levels, so brz premium could run a TS wing.
Old 02-25-2020, 06:41 PM   #3832
Clutch Dog

Drives: 2017 BRZ PP , 2005 Saab 97X
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
It's not letting me edit, but I changed my mind. Yes, it would read that you can put those tS parts on a same-year BRZ. I'm unsure of the update-backdate restrictions, though.
now is it same year? or same year model? since the 17-20+ BRZ is the same chassis as the 2018 tS

im playing devils advocate. Currently sold my bastard tS clone for a humble 17 PP car and havent even glanced at trying to replicate another

still got the sachs dampers and under body paneling !
Clutch Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 08:31 PM   #3833
cjd

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clutch Dog View Post
now is it same year? or same year model? since the 17-20+ BRZ is the same chassis as the 2018 tS

im playing devils advocate. Currently sold my bastard tS clone for a humble 17 PP car and havent even glanced at trying to replicate another

still got the sachs dampers and under body paneling !
I can't tell the difference between a '17 and a '20. Most people can't tell between any year, but I'll assume the engine/drivetrain change is enough to keep them separate. Maybe. I don't consider those "major difference in body appearance and/or chassis design" though.

So, as far as aero goes, 13+ may be one "model". 13-16, 17+ I'd confidently lump together.

Almost has me curious about the performance of that wing. If I had budget. And interest. We get pretty fast courses though. Loads of third gear time. One course I stayed in for a few seconds, foot to the floor. Plus 2 other spots.
Clutch Dog (02-26-2020)
Old 02-26-2020, 06:15 AM   #3834
SON1C

Drives: 2015 Series Blue BRZ WRB
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Would these mods take you out of STX?

2017 Intake Manifold w/fuel rails, injectors, etc. On a 16 brz?

Upgraded driveshaft?

Also per the rules isn’t running an sti chin spoiler fine, even on cars that didn’t come factory with it? (Without converting to an entire 15 series blue for example)

I’ve read the rules on the above and still am not sure

Reference rules on the third question

F. Addition of spoilers, splitters, rear wings, bumper covers, valances, side skirts, and non-functional scoops/vents is allowed provided that either:
1. It is a production part which is standard or optional equipment of a US model of the vehicle. (“Model” is defined in Section 12.)
2. It is listed in the vehicle manufacturer’s US accessory catalog for that vehicle for normal highway use. This does not allow for parts sold through a manufacturer’s performance catalog (e.g., Ford Racing, HPD, Mazdaspeed, Mopar Performance, Mugen, NISMO, SPT, TRD, etc).
Parts must be installed as directed by the manufacturer. Exact replicas,including weight, from alternate sources are also permitted.
SON1C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 06:56 AM   #3835
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,470 Times in 4,993 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Yes to 1 and 2, looks like lip is ok per 14.F.1

Everything behind the throttle body must be stock to the car, no manifold changes regardless of what was available on the chassis on a different year or option package. No changing fueling system hardware at all.

No driveshaft allowance other than a common sense repair/replacement (it certainly can't be lighter).

'Model' is hazy on whether or not years are restricted based on current rules wording, in the past it's always been thought of as a same model year option packages only as there are less obvious changes year to year on chassis that could be beneficial creating annoying 'magic year' chassis/option combos (ask old Honda guys about the differences between an 88-89-90/1 CRXs, that's not an aero thing more of an update/backdate thing). But I'm firmly in the camp that all the aero in the world isn't the reason why I suck so I'm not going to put much more thought into it.

Seems like you're missing the fundamental way the solo rulebook is written, you can perform the allowances written in the rulebook, no more.
strat61caster is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to strat61caster For This Useful Post:
JohnJuan (02-26-2020)
Old 02-26-2020, 07:24 AM   #3836
SON1C

Drives: 2015 Series Blue BRZ WRB
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Yes to 1 and 2, looks like lip is ok per 14.F.1

Everything behind the throttle body must be stock to the car, no manifold changes regardless of what was available on the chassis on a different year or option package. No changing fueling system hardware at all.

No driveshaft allowance other than a common sense repair/replacement (it certainly can't be lighter).

'Model' is hazy on whether or not years are restricted based on current rules wording, in the past it's always been thought of as a same model year option packages only as there are less obvious changes year to year on chassis that could be beneficial creating annoying 'magic year' chassis/option combos (ask old Honda guys about the differences between an 88-89-90/1 CRXs, that's not an aero thing more of an update/backdate thing). But I'm firmly in the camp that all the aero in the world isn't the reason why I suck so I'm not going to put much more thought into it.

Seems like you're missing the fundamental way the solo rulebook is written, you can perform the allowances written in the rulebook, no more.
I’ve never built a car around a class specification before, so sorry if some questions seem like an obvious no.

Thank you for the clarification
SON1C is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SON1C For This Useful Post:
strat61caster (02-26-2020)