follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 12-09-2019, 06:51 AM   #1
Ryan GT86

Drives: 2019 Toyota 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Can someone confirm if the Grimmspeed Air Intake will fit with the Jackson Oil Cooler

Can someone confirm whether or not the Grimmspeed Cold Air Intake will be compatible with the Jackson Racing Track Oil Cooler for MY17+ 86s?
Old 12-09-2019, 11:48 AM   #2
GrimmSpeed

Drives: '13 BRZ, '12 WRX
Thanked 3,550 Times in 885 Posts
Mentioned: 218 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to GrimmSpeed Send a message via MSN to GrimmSpeed
I know that with banjo fittings almost any oil cooler would fit. However, we have silently released a V2 airbox that has a half inch more clearance in this area, so fitting oil coolers should be much easier. I don't have confirmation specifically, but it was close before, and now we've given it some more room for clearance.

Chase
Engineering
GrimmSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GrimmSpeed For This Useful Post:
Drifter X (12-09-2019)
Old 12-09-2019, 05:47 PM   #3
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimmSpeed View Post
I know that with banjo fittings almost any oil cooler would fit. However, we have silently released a V2 airbox that has a half inch more clearance in this area, so fitting oil coolers should be much easier. I don't have confirmation specifically, but it was close before, and now we've given it some more room for clearance.

Chase
Engineering
Do have any pictures of the revised airbox, preferably with an oil cooler sandwich plate installed?

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
DarkSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 10:18 AM   #4
GrimmSpeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSunrise View Post
Do have any pictures of the revised airbox, preferably with an oil cooler sandwich plate installed?
Nope we don't, it will look exactly like any other installed picture. The difference is that on the back of the airbox, the section that is sloping down in the back corner where there was previous contact with some sandwich plates, this section now has an additional half inch of clearance. This isn't something you'd even be able to notice unless it was installed on a car with an oil cooler that was previously close.

This is a change that I made years ago to accommodate sandwich plates, but it didn't make it into production for a long time. As I mentioned we silently released this version earlier this year, so older versions will not have this additional clearance.

Chase
Engineering
The Following User Says Thank You to GrimmSpeed For This Useful Post:
DarkSunrise (12-10-2019)
Old 12-10-2019, 02:15 PM   #5
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
@GrimmSpeed: hence how one might ensure/check/distinguish (w/o unpacking/measuring) getting V2 if that is one's need/goal for that extra clearance of oil coolers, and if buying from 3rd party retail shops, if change was silent? I'm sure that buying directly from you would net new version, but it's possible for other shops to have older batches, no?
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 06:11 PM   #6
norcalpb

Drives: 2013 BRZ, 2023 Model 3
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
I have a Grimmspeed intake and the Jackson racing sandwich plate.

On my 2013 they touch each other.
norcalpb is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to norcalpb For This Useful Post:
finch1750 (01-15-2020)
Old 12-11-2019, 10:24 AM   #7
GrimmSpeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by churchx View Post
@GrimmSpeed: hence how one might ensure/check/distinguish (w/o unpacking/measuring) getting V2 if that is one's need/goal for that extra clearance of oil coolers, and if buying from 3rd party retail shops, if change was silent? I'm sure that buying directly from you would net new version, but it's possible for other shops to have older batches, no?
There is no way to distinguish between new and old versions other than ordering from us directly. I don't have any knowledge or way to control the stock on any retailers shelves so I can't comment on what they do or don't have unfortunately. We simply added a feature for fitment and released it to make some people's lives more convenient. Its certainly not something we had to do, but rather something that we wanted to just because it makes it a better part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by norcalpb View Post
I have a Grimmspeed intake and the Jackson racing sandwich plate.

On my 2013 they touch each other.
Important to note that you have the V1 intake. Also, even with them touching for years now has there been any sort of catastrophic failure or oil leaks or anything? Any picture of it so I can illustrate where the clearance will be on V2 with this combo?

Chase
Engineering
Old 12-11-2019, 03:59 PM   #8
norcalpb

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimmSpeed View Post
There is no way to distinguish between new and old versions other than ordering from us directly. I don't have any knowledge or way to control the stock on any retailers shelves so I can't comment on what they do or don't have unfortunately. We simply added a feature for fitment and released it to make some people's lives more convenient. Its certainly not something we had to do, but rather something that we wanted to just because it makes it a better part.

Important to note that you have the V1 intake. Also, even with them touching for years now has there been any sort of catastrophic failure or oil leaks or anything? Any picture of it so I can illustrate where the clearance will be on V2 with this combo?

Chase
Engineering
I actually bought the intake used about a month ago lol, but you are indeed correct this is the V1 and there have been no oil leaks or anything.

It's my fault its scratched, I can be aggressive with my installs sometimes.

My oil cooler lines are Perrin, but the sandwich plate is Jackson Racing, and holy shit my coolant is low.

How much is the updated box design?

Old 12-11-2019, 04:04 PM   #9
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
From looks of it .. i wonder if just one, updated, part/"wall" of airfilter box can be replaced / ordered of V2, more clearance, type separately from Grimspeed?
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 04:05 PM   #10
norcalpb

Also wanted to mention my stock airbox would touch the sandwich plate as well, so in order to change the filter I would have to remove the whole airbox as it didn't have room to fully open.

With the grimmspeed intake you just take off the cover screws which makes this process 1000x easier.
Old 12-11-2019, 04:25 PM   #11
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Also wanted to mention my stock airbox would touch the sandwich plate as well, so in order to change the filter I would have to remove the whole airbox as it didn't have room to fully open.

With the grimmspeed intake you just take off the cover screws which makes this process 1000x easier.
This is one of the reasons I'm thinking about this intake. If the new version clears without touching, I'll probably get one.

BTW I've got a Perrin oil cooler and the sandwich plate looks very similar to the one you've got. Might actually be the same.

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
DarkSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 05:20 PM   #12
GrimmSpeed

Quote:
I actually bought the intake used about a month ago lol, but you are indeed correct this is the V1 and there have been no oil leaks or anything.

How much is the updated box design?

Ahhhhh, that makes sense, also thank you very much for the photos, this is helpful for this thread!

So the updated box design moves the offending wall (seen here with the scratches) a half inch in, away from the fittings. This will remove the contact, and allow for an easier installation.

Unfortunately we do not sell just the box, however for you application even with the contact you're most likely not going to ever run into a serious issue. Its not like the box is going to wear through the fitting or anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by churchx View Post
From looks of it .. i wonder if just one, updated, part/"wall" of airfilter box can be replaced / ordered of V2, more clearance, type separately from Grimspeed?
We wouldn't separate the box anyway as they are riveted and then powdercoated as a unit, but even if we could both the bottom and top of the box have the same modification to move that wall in a half inch.

Quote:

This is a really good point, granted you don't have to remove the air filter all that often, but doing less worse is usually always preferable :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSunrise View Post
This is one of the reasons I'm thinking about this intake. If the new version clears without touching, I'll probably get one.

BTW I've got a Perrin oil cooler and the sandwich plate looks very similar to the one you've got. Might actually be the same.
Yeah, both of those sandwich plates look like the mocal unit, I'd be surprised if they weren't. I think Jackson racing updated their design to this funky angled outlet that was these 180 degree fittings for their current release but I'm not certain:

All of this just to get clearance for the stock intake :P I believe ours will work fine with almost any, if not any, oil cooler sandwich plates, especially the ones we're discussing right now.

If you do end up going with our air intake (and a brand new V2) I would love to see some pictures so we can start getting the word out, so let me know.

Thank you!
Chase
Engineering
Old 01-14-2020, 10:18 PM   #13
Ryan GT86

Drives: 2019 Toyota 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

So I can confirm the V2 intake fits. About half an inch of clearance between the airbox and the oil cooler lines.
Old 01-15-2020, 10:47 AM   #14
GrimmSpeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan GT86 View Post
So I can confirm the V2 intake fits. About half an inch of clearance between the airbox and the oil cooler lines.
Ryan, thank you for posting that picture and confirmation!

Chase
Engineering