follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 09-08-2015, 08:06 PM   #1
aaguirre123

Drives: sti 2012 sedan
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Experience with Works Stage 1 Turbo Kit

YouTube link:

I installed a Works Stage 1 Turbo kit on my 2013 FR-S, June 2015. I used the ECUTEK tune that was provided by Works Motorsports. The only modification that I have done before turbo installation was a flex fuel kit tuned by Delicious Tuning. Per dyno results, flex fuel tune was providing a 169 whp on E66 NA. Compared to turbo kit (running on California 91 octane) it definitely delivers more power than prior flex fuel tune. I could feel the pull from 3100 rpm up to redline. For a turbo kit that does not have the traditional large intercooler this kit is amazing. The car feels completely different.

I was going to install an AVO kit that I bought used. The used kit was missing an oil pump plate. I requested to pay this missing part from AVO but totally ignored my request. I could have gone to a machinist to fabricate one for me but decided not to go with the AVO turbo kit and sold AVO kit to someone else.

The reasons why I selected this Kit over others:
1) It's a turbo
2) I don't get to touch the bumper
3) CARB legal
4) I could upgrade to a gtx2867, gtx29 or may be even a gtx35
5) It's not a supercharger

I also installed a PCV Mishimoto catch can, Radium crankcase catch can and a Tomei uel headers.

I purchased a "Flash & Go" tune from delicious tuning plus 11 psi map sensor. Dyno results are down below. Dyno was done on DYNO DAY (08/30/2015), at Church Automotive Testing.

"Flash and Go" tune was disappointing. On E85, no matter what ethanol percentage, the car would hesitate, be rough going, sputter and not go at all below 3,000 rpm, from stop to go up sloped. From stop to go turning left on an intersection would be a problem as well. I would have to push both clutch and break pedals, rev pass 3,000 and then release the clutch and break so that I could make the car go. On pump gas, it would run good. I discovered on DYNO DAY what the problem was. The car was running lean below 3,000 rpm. I was told by Church that lean condition can be corrected with a DYNO tune. Dyno tune will have to wait because it will cost me approximately $850.

Overall I am more than satisfied with the kit and base tune provided by Works. I am getting used to the power that the kit was able to provide and plan to upgrade the turbo later. For now I will upgrade to kit with a water intercooler and get a tune via Church Automotive Testing. No more E-Tunes for me. There goes over $450 down the drain.

Comments added on 09/15/2015:
Had a 2:00 pm appointment today with Bill at Delicious Tuning. He was able to identify the problem. For some reason Bill thought that the Flex Fuel kit was a Delicious Tuning Fuel Kit. DT Flex Fuel kit uses the rear O2 sensor. My FF kit works by wire tapping the white/blue wire on the ECA harness. As soon as Bill realize that was the problem he changed the flex fuel tune to utilized the signal coming from white/blue wire on the ECA. Eureka!!! No more problem. It was a quick fix. It took less than 30 minutes. After Bill re-flashed the ECU, I test drove the car on pump and on flex fuel (E55). It was smooth and powerful. I can't confirm if I still have a lean condition but by the way the car is performing I'm optimistic that the car does not have a lean condition. Drove the car over 2 hours from Escondido to Encino, CA, did a couple of WOT and did not find any problems. Nice job Bill!!!

Last edited by aaguirre123; 09-15-2015 at 10:56 PM. Reason: Add addtional comments
aaguirre123 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to aaguirre123 For This Useful Post:
B T (09-09-2015), GhostOp86 (09-10-2015), swarb (09-09-2015)
Old 09-09-2015, 09:51 AM   #2
bfrank1972

Drives: 2013 FR-S Argento
Thanked 1,039 Times in 616 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Yeah that AFR & torque curve screams "tune me", but pretty impressive overall for a baseline kit with no IC.
bfrank1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bfrank1972 For This Useful Post:
aaguirre123 (09-09-2015)
Old 09-09-2015, 02:31 PM   #3
aaguirre123

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfrank1972 View Post
Yeah that AFR & torque curve screams "tune me", but pretty impressive overall for a baseline kit with no IC.

Exactly. Definitely not a "Flash & Go". More like "Flash & you're on your own".
Old 09-09-2015, 03:07 PM   #4
swarb

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 2,451 Times in 1,271 Posts
Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Those AFR's are OFF THE CHART!
swarb is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to swarb For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (09-09-2015)
Old 09-09-2015, 03:20 PM   #5
sidesleeper

Drives: BRZ series blue
I've never seen this kit before, pretty weird looking with the heatsink. I guess it wouldn't be too hard to put a water to air barrel cooler there instead.
sidesleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sidesleeper For This Useful Post:
hmong337 (09-10-2015)
Old 09-09-2015, 03:21 PM   #6
DeliciousTuning
PhoneFlash by EcuTeK

Drives: Edelbrock Equipped - Subaru BRZ
Thanked 1,682 Times in 581 Posts
Mentioned: 403 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaguirre123 View Post
Exactly. Definitely not a "Flash & Go". More like "Flash & you're on your own".
Amado,

Have you checked your email? When you let us know about this issue on August 1st you stated you would be sending us a data log, which we didn't receive. You emailed again on the 31st, and we promptly responded that we still had not received any data logs from your prior message to us. We also sent you an updated tune at this time to our latest version, to which we haven't received any logs or responses.

Perhaps it will be easier for us to assist you if you can contact us directly by phone at 408-480-0995.

Sincerely,

Zach
Delicious Tuning
DeliciousTuning is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to DeliciousTuning For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (09-09-2015), DustinS (09-09-2015), D_Thissen (09-18-2015), MAPerformance (09-09-2015), Porcupint (09-17-2015)
Old 09-09-2015, 03:31 PM   #7
slowest86

Drives: slow frs
I would not run that without an intercooler, but thats just me.
slowest86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to slowest86 For This Useful Post:
hmong337 (09-10-2015)
Old 09-09-2015, 03:49 PM   #8
B T

Drives: 15 BRZ, 2003 MR2, '70 Elky, 06 TBSS
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
You can just as well road tune that AFR to be acceptable and a helluva lot safer. Road tuning would also decrease your dyno tuning cost.
B T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 04:12 PM   #9
weederr33
Airborne at your service

Drives: '17 BRZ Series.Yellow
Thanked 5,586 Times in 2,928 Posts
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Interesting turbo set up. But... where' the innercooler and about that missing brace...

MS, CSCS, TSAC-F, CPT
weederr33 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to weederr33 For This Useful Post:
hmong337 (09-10-2015)
Old 09-09-2015, 04:35 PM   #10
BigFatFlip
sleep, drive, eat, repeat

Drives: '13 BRZ, '12 Outback
Thanked 3,796 Times in 1,981 Posts
Mentioned: 188 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
I thought it was generally recommended to upgrade fuel injectors when going E85/Flex fuel with FI? Was WORKS or Delicious aware of this that you were planning on doing flexfuel with your turbo? I'm just surprised nobody has mentioned that to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidesleeper View Post
I've never seen this kit before, pretty weird looking with the heatsink. I guess it wouldn't be too hard to put a water to air barrel cooler there instead.
There's a stage 2 with a water-to-air intercooler:

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=90480
BigFatFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BigFatFlip For This Useful Post:
sidesleeper (09-09-2015)
Old 09-09-2015, 06:40 PM   #11
aaguirre123

You don't need to upgrade fuel injection. The stock fuel delivery system can handle below 300whp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatFlip View Post
I thought it was generally recommended to upgrade fuel injectors when going E85/Flex fuel with FI? Was WORKS or Delicious aware of this that you were planning on doing flexfuel with your turbo? I'm just surprised nobody has mentioned that to you.

There's a stage 2 with a water-to-air intercooler:

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=90480
The Following User Says Thank You to aaguirre123 For This Useful Post:
BigFatFlip (09-09-2015)
Old 09-09-2015, 07:13 PM   #12
aaguirre123

I sent logs after the 3rd attempt to correct my problem and I did not get any response from Bill. I emailed another time and again no response from Bill. I have to create a thread to get a response from you guys? You guys should be the ones to check your email. Not me.

On the first mentioned of my problem, Bill told me I had a leak problem and not a tuning issue. Since I'm not the expert I checked. The only thing I found was the BOV was not closing all the way. So I changed that. I also re-tighten all the clamps and did some reading, lots of hours of reading, from this forum, the Internet, watch YouTube, learned about the EVAP system and so on. I clamped the EVAP lines under the intake manifold, cap the PCV line and cap the the one located just under the throttle body.

After all that fixing it ran good on pump. Thinking that I solve the problem I email Bill told him how I fixed the leak.

Two months later when a potential buyer decided fueled up with E85, the performance problem of hesitation, sputtering and no go below 3000 rpm was occurring. So I again I checked for leaks and found nothing.

This issue is only on E85 and not on pump. I emailed Bill. Got a 3rd map from him. The problem is still there. Emailed Bill twice after that and did not get any response.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sales@delicioustuning.com View Post
Amado,

Have you checked your email? When you let us know about this issue on August 1st you stated you would be sending us a data log, which we didn't receive. You emailed again on the 31st, and we promptly responded that we still had not received any data logs from your prior message to us. We also sent you an updated tune at this time to our latest version, to which we haven't received any logs or responses.

Perhaps it will be easier for us to assist you if you can contact us directly by phone at 408-480-0995.

Sincerely,

Zach
Delicious Tuning
The Following User Says Thank You to aaguirre123 For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (09-09-2015)
Old 09-09-2015, 07:23 PM   #13
DeliciousTuning
PhoneFlash by EcuTeK

Drives: Edelbrock Equipped - Subaru BRZ
Thanked 1,682 Times in 581 Posts
Mentioned: 403 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaguirre123 View Post
I sent logs after the 3rd attempt to correct my problem and I did not get any response from Bill. I emailed another time and again no response from Bill. I have to create a thread to get a response from you guys? You guys should be the ones to check your email. Not me.

On the first mentioned of my problem, Bill told me I had a leak problem and not a tuning issue. Since I'm not the expert I checked. The only thing I found was the BOV was not closing all the way. So I changed that. I also re-tighten all the clamps and did some reading, lots of hours of reading, from this forum, the Internet, watch YouTube, learned about the EVAP system and so on. I clamped the EVAP lines under the intake manifold, cap the PCV line and cap the the one located just under the throttle body.

After all that fixing it ran good on pump. Thinking that I solve the problem I email Bill told him how I fixed the leak.

Two months later when a potential buyer decided fueled up with E85, the performance problem of hesitation, sputtering and no go below 3000 rpm was occurring. So I again I checked for leaks and found nothing.

This issue is only on E85 and not on pump. I emailed Bill. Got a 3rd map from him. The problem is still there. Emailed Bill twice after that and did not get any response.
Amado,

I only have the information I can see from emails, and that is a dead space waiting for logs from August the 1st until August 31st. Bill, nor I, have received a response after we sent the latest tune. I'm not saying you're lying, nor that we are ignoring you with intention; clearly there has been some lost emails as of late.

Please either email me personally at sales@delicioustuning.com.com, or give me a call at 408-480-0995. Either way, I'm sure that we can find a resolution we can agree on and get your car where you'd like it.

Sincerely,

Zach
Delicious Tuning
DeliciousTuning is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DeliciousTuning For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (09-09-2015)
Old 09-09-2015, 09:52 PM   #14
aaguirre123

Do you want me to post the emails that I sent to Bill on this thread to prove to you that I'm not lying? Also the emails that you sent me letting me know that you have mailed the MAP sensor even though you have not because you just over night mailed the MAP so that I could receive MAP sensor on Saturday?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sales@delicioustuning.com View Post
Amado,

I only have the information I can see from emails, and that is a dead space waiting for logs from August the 1st until August 31st. Bill, nor I, have received a response after we sent the latest tune. I'm not saying you're lying, nor that we are ignoring you with intention; clearly there has been some lost emails as of late.

Please either email me personally at sales@delicioustuning.com.com, or give me a call at 408-480-0995. Either way, I'm sure that we can find a resolution we can agree on and get your car where you'd like it.

Sincerely,

Zach
Delicious Tuning