follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 03-01-2019, 03:51 PM   #981
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,519 Times in 18,920 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG View Post
I think you have taken Ultra's comment out of context. He was responding to someone else saying why not use a short block for the recall.
It did start out that way but then I kept typing. Meant to respond yesterday but there were so many words. I'll try again tonight.
Old 03-01-2019, 05:04 PM   #982
AkaJabari

Drives: Scion FR-S, Scion tC
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Going on almost 2 months now with my car still in the shop for this recall. Turns out the tech that did my short block replacement after a spun bearing didn't clean up properly and there was some metal circulating that scored all four cams. They owned up to it and are replacing everything under warranty along with a cracked timing cover though I did have to get corporate involved. Last heard on 28 Feb is that they are waiting on the timing cover and some seals (back ordered) before they can button it back up.

Needless to say its this whole process has been quite the ordeal. The 1st month they had me in a Camry and I'm currently driving one of the new Rav-4s. I think maybe next week I'll try out a 4Runner...
AkaJabari is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AkaJabari For This Useful Post:
Magoo (03-02-2019)
Old 03-01-2019, 07:19 PM   #983
xjohnx
Grip>Slip

Drives: 13 SWP BRZ Ltd - Innovate Powered!
Thanked 1,716 Times in 1,031 Posts
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
anyone here have the recall work refused due to mods installed? my dealer won't do it unless i pay them $650 to remove and reinstall my mods, which is insane. It's got an sprintex SC and flex fuel kit. So they'd be disconnecting the same 6 bolts to remove the intake manifold and disconnecting the same two fuel lines to remove the motor whether the car was stock or modified.

I'm working with corporate and have opened an NHTSA investigation as their instructions state, but wondering if anyone else has had any experience like this that can help offer advice?
xjohnx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to xjohnx For This Useful Post:
NYNOMAD (03-04-2019)
Old 03-01-2019, 09:06 PM   #984
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,323 Times in 7,381 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by xjohnx View Post
anyone here have the recall work refused due to mods installed? my dealer won't do it unless i pay them $650 to remove and reinstall my mods, which is insane. It's got an sprintex SC and flex fuel kit. So they'd be disconnecting the same 6 bolts to remove the intake manifold and disconnecting the same two fuel lines to remove the motor whether the car was stock or modified.

I'm working with corporate and have opened an NHTSA investigation as their instructions state, but wondering if anyone else has had any experience like this that can help offer advice?
There is a whole thread about this in the FI section. Yes people are having to remove mods like this.
NoHaveMSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 12:20 AM   #985
xjohnx
Grip>Slip

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG View Post
There is a whole thread about this in the FI section. Yes people are having to remove mods like this.
Got a link? I'm only seeing the one from the guy whose motor blew after the recall.
Old 03-02-2019, 12:50 AM   #986
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,323 Times in 7,381 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Got a link? I'm only seeing the one from the guy whose motor blew after the recall.
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=132418
NoHaveMSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 05:07 PM   #987
Teseo

Drives: frs
Thanked 2,922 Times in 1,769 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:

Go to another dealer
Teseo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 06:08 PM   #988
shiumai

Drives: 2013 DGM BRZ, 2020 C8 Corvette
Thanked 1,893 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=132418
shiumai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 01:43 PM   #989
DandoX
Senior gif poster

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FRS
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandoX View Post
I thought I would share my experience. I dropped my car off on Tuesday at Longo Toyota in Ca. I spoke with the tech doing the work (Jason) let him know Im extremely fond of this car. I got a free rental '19 Camry which was larger than I expected and extremely boring to drive around. I picked up my car Thursday, and the car appears to be running fine with no issues so far. I drove about an hour home in traffic, car ran fine. The tech also did a good job with the aftermarket engine strut bar and MCB which didn't add any additional cost or issues.

Overall I have had a pleasant experience, I will report back if anything goes wrong in the next couple weeks.

my car had 80k at the time of the recall.

I suggest to all getting the recall done to also get a physical paper stating you did the recall, that way in case the dealership fails to notify the DMV you don't have to jump through hoops for proof of the recall completion.

Follow up update, I put around 80 miles on her since the recall, everything appears to be running properly. No odd sounds or issues. I just changed the oil yesterday to get that 0W-20 out of there and replace it with 0W-40, and she feels just like she used to. I'll update again once I get roughly 500-600 more miles.
DandoX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 01:50 PM   #990
DandoX
Senior gif poster

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FRS
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ermax View Post
I went through my pictures from when I had mine out and I don't have many good pictures showing the packing. This is about the best I have:

Is this a picture of what the engine seal looks like from the outside from the factory or after the job was done?

I had my recall done and I have some of that sealer around the entire seem all the way down.
DandoX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 02:12 PM   #991
microSDHC

Drives: '13 FR-S 6AT (Argento)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
My engine looked like that after the J02 recall work. It didn’t look like that from the factory. As long as it’s not blocking some passage inside, it should be good. But how will I ever know? Time will tell... it’s been over 1k mi for me and no problems yet. /me knocks on wood

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
microSDHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 02:15 PM   #992
xjohnx
Grip>Slip

Everyone keeps saying (and taking at face value) that the car "has to be stock." Has actually anyone seen this policy in writing anywhere? If so, I'd LOVE to see the source. I don't think it has a leg to stand on legally. This ain't warranty work. It's NHTSA Mandated.

https://www.safercar.gov/staticfiles...ecalls-FAQ.pdf

I've got an investigation opened with the NHTSA as their literature instructs.

Not my monkeys, not my circus.
Old 03-04-2019, 02:39 PM   #993
ermax

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited Silver
Thanked 2,045 Times in 1,188 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandoX View Post
Is this a picture of what the engine seal looks like from the outside from the factory or after the job was done?

I had my recall done and I have some of that sealer around the entire seem all the way down.
From the factory.
ermax is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ermax For This Useful Post:
DandoX (03-04-2019)
Old 03-04-2019, 02:58 PM   #994
maslin
Benz Tech

Drives: 2017 BRZ Premium
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Everyone keeps saying (and taking at face value) that the car "has to be stock." Has actually anyone seen this policy in writing anywhere? If so, I'd LOVE to see the source. I don't think it has a leg to stand on legally. This ain't warranty work. It's NHTSA Mandated.

https://www.safercar.gov/staticfiles...ecalls-FAQ.pdf

I've got an investigation opened with the NHTSA as their literature instructs.

Not my monkeys, not my circus.
The Subaru document says exactly the opposite of "must be stock".

"• Contact the SOA Techline immediately to review any concerns believed to be impeding or preventing proper completion of this recall. There should be very few if any cases where this would be necessary. A severe example of an impediment would be if the wrong specification engine is found to be installed. Nearly all aftermarket modifications can be worked around or removed to allow valve spring replacement to proceed.
• Contact the SOA Claims Team should removal and / or reinstallation of these customer modifications require significant additional time."
maslin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to maslin For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (03-04-2019)