follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 11-21-2018, 09:03 PM   #365
ermax

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited Silver
Thanked 2,045 Times in 1,188 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
Well that should make it cheaper to change the plugs Did he say if they'll be pulling the engine out of the car or are they going to struggle through it while it's in the car?

Even if removing the covers magically removed the cams that ride over the springs, you can’t even get the covers off without removing the engine. But that is the easiest part of the job anyways. This engine on this car pulls faster than anything I’ve ever worked on.
ermax is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ermax For This Useful Post:
gravitylover (11-22-2018)
Old 11-22-2018, 05:56 AM   #366
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ermax View Post
Only problem is you can’t access the springs by simply removing the valve covers. The covers will expose the bolts for the cam subassemblies but they can’t be removed without removing the timing cover and chains. The subassemblies are also sealed to the heads with FIPG which needs to be cleaned off and reapplied. Avoiding the removal of the heads is like saving 1 hour on a 14 hour job. One of the documents said they expect to take 12 hours for the job. I’d be amazed if they can do it that fast.

You have to do steps 1 to 43 in this document to access the springs:
https://demos.starbase7.net/t3Portal...056U900CX.html

It would be cool if you could remove the valve cover and then go directly to removing the cam caps but the manual specifically says NOT to remove the caps first or risk warping the heads. Instead you remove the cam subassembly as one unit and then remove the caps. For this job you don’t need to remove the cam from the subassembly so you stop at step 43. With the subassembly off you can then remove the rockers to access the springs.

Even if you could go directly to the caps without warping the head you still have to remove the timing cover and chains which in itself is a pain in the ass (thanks to the FIPG).
Was only going off what subaru guy said so might be more complex than what he believes
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 09:50 AM   #367
gravitylover

Drives: 2013 BRZ Premium 6MT White
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
This makes it sound like it might be a good time to change a few other things too like timing chain and tensioners, tensioners at the very least. What else would be good to do while they have this part of the engine apart? With 108k on mine now I might as well think about wear parts that are good to change if there won't be (much) additional labor cost.

Quote:
Only problem is you can’t access the springs by simply removing the valve covers. The covers will expose the bolts for the cam subassemblies but they can’t be removed without removing the timing cover and chains. The subassemblies are also sealed to the heads with FIPG which needs to be cleaned off and reapplied. Avoiding the removal of the heads is like saving 1 hour on a 14 hour job. One of the documents said they expect to take 12 hours for the job. I’d be amazed if they can do it that fast.

You have to do steps 1 to 43 in this document to access the springs:
https://demos.starbase7.net/t3Portal...056U900CX.html

It would be cool if you could remove the valve cover and then go directly to removing the cam caps but the manual specifically says NOT to remove the caps first or risk warping the heads. Instead you remove the cam subassembly as one unit and then remove the caps. For this job you don’t need to remove the cam from the subassembly so you stop at step 43. With the subassembly off you can then remove the rockers to access the springs.

Even if you could go directly to the caps without warping the head you still have to remove the timing cover and chains which in itself is a pain in the ass (thanks to the FIPG).
Old 11-22-2018, 01:47 PM   #368
ermax

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited Silver
Thanked 2,045 Times in 1,188 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
This makes it sound like it might be a good time to change a few other things too like timing chain and tensioners, tensioners at the very least. What else would be good to do while they have this part of the engine apart? With 108k on mine now I might as well think about wear parts that are good to change if there won't be (much) additional labor cost.

I don't know what the life expectancy on the chains is. The guides also wear but when I rebuilt mine at 93K they hardly had any signs of wear. I didn't bother with my tensioners either but it probably wouldn't be a bad idea. Maybe replace the OCV filters (they are cheap) and new injector seals (only $3 each). Spark plugs if you haven't already done them. One good thing about this job is they will fix the oil leak you have on your timing cover (I assume you have the leak anyways). One thing I didn't do on my car is make valve lash adjustments. It's kind of a pain because you have to put it all together with packing and then check the lash, do the math and then order shims and then wait for them to come in. Then you have to remove the cam subassemblies and clean up the packing again. Mine were in spec but still could have used some adjustment but didn't feel like dealing with it. If they adjusted like Hondas with a lock nut and screw I would have done it.
ermax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 03:21 PM   #369
gravitylover

Drives: 2013 BRZ Premium 6MT White
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
I don't know what the life expectancy on the chains is. The guides also wear but when I rebuilt mine at 93K they hardly had any signs of wear. I didn't bother with my tensioners either but it probably wouldn't be a bad idea. Maybe replace the OCV filters (they are cheap) and new injector seals (only $3 each). Spark plugs if you haven't already done them. One good thing about this job is they will fix the oil leak you have on your timing cover (I assume you have the leak anyways). One thing I didn't do on my car is make valve lash adjustments. It's kind of a pain because you have to put it all together with packing and then check the lash, do the math and then order shims and then wait for them to come in. Then you have to remove the cam subassemblies and clean up the packing again. Mine were in spec but still could have used some adjustment but didn't feel like dealing with it. If they adjusted like Hondas with a lock nut and screw I would have done it.
No that leak was fixed under warranty ~15 months ago. OCV filters and injector seals is a good idea.
Old 11-22-2018, 11:54 PM   #370
notout86

Drives: GTS 86 auto
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve99 View Post
Was only going off what subaru guy said so might be more complex than what he believes
Who and where was your adviser steve99? It might pay to avoid him :-). I'm in Australia too. I am going to stall on my job until they have gained experience on others and insist on a drug tested mechanic and he should wear a condom while touching my car.
Old 11-23-2018, 01:08 AM   #371
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by notout86 View Post
Who and where was your adviser steve99? It might pay to avoid him :-). I'm in Australia too. I am going to stall on my job until they have gained experience on others and insist on a drug tested mechanic and he should wear a condom while touching my car.
luckly my car is not involved in the recall ;-)
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to steve99 For This Useful Post:
notout86 (11-23-2018)
Old 11-23-2018, 06:29 AM   #372
tracerit

Drives: '13 SSM BRZ Limited 6MT
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Are these Vin check sites fully accurate or are they adding vins in batches? My car is built before the end range but the Vin doesn't come up as part of the recall. This is according to another post here that included the build dates of 2012 to mid 2013. Bought my car in March 2013.
tracerit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 12:23 PM   #373
mswbrz

Drives: 2013 brz limited / galaxy blue
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracerit View Post
Are these Vin check sites fully accurate or are they adding vins in batches? My car is built before the end range but the Vin doesn't come up as part of the recall. This is according to another post here that included the build dates of 2012 to mid 2013. Bought my car in March 2013.

That's when I bought mine and it fell under recall , best thing to do is call the dealer and see if it falls under the numbers . When my correct vin number did not appear on the subie website and it said the vin number was wrong when I input it even though it was correct . Hopefully this will help ya . When I called the dealer they informed me my car was under the recall when subie ran my vin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mswbrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mswbrz For This Useful Post:
tracerit (11-23-2018)
Old 11-23-2018, 12:35 PM   #374
bcj
Geo Tyrebighter Esq

Drives: '13 scion fr-s
Thanked 4,981 Times in 2,197 Posts
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Garage
There are Legacys and Forresters involved in the recall too.
Let the techs get their feet wet and fingers burnt on those first.
Old 11-23-2018, 12:39 PM   #375
Sapphireho
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Drives: '15 ultramarine
Thanked 18,240 Times in 8,609 Posts
Mentioned: 155 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcj View Post
That is exactly what I would do. I would get the recall done, but I wouldn't be first in line.
Sapphireho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 01:04 PM   #376
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcj View Post
And a whole shitload of Imprezas. The total Twins that come under the recall is well under 1% of the models. The techs will be very good at this task in a pretty short time.
davesrave (11-23-2018)
Old 11-23-2018, 03:42 PM   #377
Deep Six

Drives: 2013 FRS / 2013 427 Vert
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Looks like I got this notice just in time !!

2013 FR-S Asphalt BC Coils/Rev Works UEL header/HKS Front Pipe/Racing Brake BBK/Shorai LW Battery/ACT 6 Puck Clutch/FBM Radiator & Oil Pan/JR Oil Cooler/Jackson Racing High Boost C30/Rev Works Built Motor
2016 Audi TTS APR Tuned
Deep Six is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Deep Six For This Useful Post:
humfrz (11-23-2018)
Old 11-23-2018, 04:12 PM   #378
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,813 Times in 16,424 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Six View Post
Looks like I got this notice just in time !!

]
UGH - that's too damn bad -

Do you reckon a defective valve spring caused the rocker to break?

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote