follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 02-24-2021, 10:46 PM   #29
cmiovino

Drives: 2017 BRZ PP, 2004 WRX
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I put mine away after Thanksgiving before our first snowfall. Originally sold in CA, lived a lot of it's life in TX, now here in PA.

My WRX rotted out over the last 9 years I've had it. Front control arms, front subframe replaced. Rear quarter panels rotted. Rocker panels rotted - just sealed up a 3-4 inch hole that happened when they put it on the lift to inspect it last time. Salt sucks.

I'm hoping with a good rain or two, the salt will be washed away and we won't have any more here shortly. First autocross test and tune is March 14th, so either way it's coming out then.
The Red One (02-26-2021)
Old 02-26-2021, 12:36 PM   #30
mrntd

Drives: 2017 Series.yellow BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I’ve got the itch bad. I can’t wait until everything is cleaned and I can get it back out.
mrntd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 05:45 PM   #31
Feistyfrog

Drives: Toyota 86 2019
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Similar to OP, my wife putted away her MX-5 in november and she just can't stand the wait. She talks about it more and more as months go by and she even dreams about it, but to her defense, it's really a "summer" car.

Me and my 86 is a different story. I can't imagine how you guys feel not driving this toy for months during winter!!! Yeah I know, salt, sand, rocks and stuff, but it's such a blast!! It's my second winter driving it and I'm having as much fun, if not more, than in the summer.

It's a completely different driving experience. The winter tires suck on asphalt so when there is no snow on the roads (90% of the time) it's similar to the Primacy's but even easier to throw around in corners and make the rear end dance.

When there's snow, it becomes a mean machine, like a snowmobile with bucket seats. I usually keep only the track nannies on unless it's really icy. It's so nice that I will usually wait for snow forecast to go out and drive for no reason. I never got stuck but like some have said before, over 7 or 8 inch of snow, leave it home. It will go, but 86 front bumper will plow the snow that higher vehicules will leave behind.

I totally get that some of you want to keep it precious but I think you are missing out on a whole lot of fun...put some winter tires on and enjoy the ride!!
Feistyfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Feistyfrog For This Useful Post:
The Red One (02-26-2021)
Old 02-26-2021, 06:03 PM   #32
The Red One
Planning summer road trip

Drives: 2019 Sport-tech RS. City car: GD3
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmiovino View Post
Front control arms, front subframe replaced. Rear quarter panels rotted. Rocker panels rotted - just sealed up a 3-4 inch hole that happened when they put it on the lift to inspect it last time. Salt sucks.

Till you can see your shocks coming thru the fenders your good to go!
Happens around here when the big mother potholes show up after a thaw.

I’m a believer in rust proofing my cars if they are to see winter, it messes up the appearance for a few weeks but worthwhile investment if you keep for long-term.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmiovino View Post
it's coming out then
We have compulsory winter tire law here, last day for that march 15th, so if the roads get cleaned and weather warms up a bit I may chance it. But our last yearly big snowfalls are timed just before april.
Attached Images

The Red One is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Red One For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (02-26-2021)
Old 02-26-2021, 06:27 PM   #33
The Red One
Planning summer road trip

Drives: 2019 Sport-tech RS. City car: GD3
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feistyfrog View Post
Me and my 86 is a different story. I can't imagine how you guys feel not driving this toy for months during winter!!!

but 86 front bumper will plow the snow that higher vehicules will leave behind.

Salut mec!

I used to work in MTL and seeing a drifting FRS at the corner
of Crescent & St Catherine on my return home as I picked
a midnight snack from Kojak’s one late winter storm night
gave me this illogical reason it would be the perfect
winter beater.

Dam you whoever you were.

My alternate Wintermobile causes me more grief scraping
on my sloping driveway in the summer than the BRZ,
Have found out when it cannot plow forward its reverse time
and became an expert at replacing under panels and inner fenders that get ripped off in the ice.
The Red One is offline   Reply With Quote