follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 08-14-2018, 12:53 PM   #1
Butterballz

Drives: Black FRS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Rear Suspension Clunking, front suspension groaning

Sorry in advance for the length of the post.

Parts:

Fronts - Bilstein B8, Tarmac Springs, Raceseng Cascam, Racerx Endlink and Tie Rod, Perrin steering rack lockdowns, camber bolts.

Rears - Verus LCA, Racerx Endlinks and toe arms, Bilstein B8, Tarmac Springs, Whiteline Subframe and Diff inserts.

Problem:

Front - Hear a groaning noise while turning to the right while at a complete stop or low speed (going reverse turning steering wheel right). Like friction noise. Happens as the same place when turning right. Can feel possible vibrations through the pedals when it happens. Did not notice it before when I first installed it. Pretty sure it's not the tires making the noise.

Rear - I hear clunking while braking to slow down or going over bumps at low speed. Not a single clunk but multiple. Hear it rarely if ever while accelerating and cruising. Not sure if it was there when I first installed the parts but now it's quite noticeable. Might have gotten progressively worst over time. Quite annoying. Don't mind if it is normal but if it is not, got to figure it out.

My toe arms jam nuts did come loose a few times when I first installed it. Probably drove like that for 2 or so months with 4 alignments in between to fix the problem. Has not come loose since the fourth alignment

Actions:

Fronts - Tightened the top nut on the shock.

Rears - Already went under and tightened everything. Adjusted the endlinks so there are no preload or at least I think no preload with suspension loaded. Have not disconnected the endlinks yet but will.

Possible Answers:

Front - Maybe the pillowballs are getting stiff so it grips a bit. Noticed when going lock to lock that the right pillowball does not move the same as the left. The left spins a bit while the right just moves in the direction of the shock if that makes sense.

Rears - Nature of pillowballs. Possible hitting hard enough at the limits of the motion to make noise.

Another answer is the endlinks. The joints on the endlinks easily moves since it is not so stiff like the other parts so as I brake it may move around enough to cause noise as it hits the limits of the range of motion. The joints does not appear to be broken. There is no movement except the intended range of motion of the joint.

at this point. Thanks!
Butterballz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 01:07 PM   #2
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,470 Times in 4,993 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
My Racesengs had the spring perch rub on the camber plate creating a groaning noise during low speed, eventually they created the clearance they needed. If you look up from underneath you might be able to spot where the metal is rubbing.

Rear I'd say either drivetrain lash from the bushings now transmitting the noise or swaybar endlinks. Easy to check the endlinks by removing them.

Camber plate rub:
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to strat61caster For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (08-14-2018)
Old 08-14-2018, 02:45 PM   #3
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
That rubbing seems like error of a bit botched design on raceseng part. Even if it self "fixes" this way, that doesn't look to me as it's how it should be. Even if only resale value due fscked up looks is one to take hit and after rubbing excess off it keeps working normally. BTW, this rub was with which coilovers/what diameter springs/perch and at what camber settings?
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 04:50 PM   #4
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,470 Times in 4,993 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by churchx View Post
That rubbing seems like error of a bit botched design on raceseng part. Even if it self "fixes" this way, that doesn't look to me as it's how it should be. Even if only resale value due fscked up looks is one to take hit and after rubbing excess off it keeps working normally. BTW, this rub was with which coilovers/what diameter springs/perch and at what camber settings?
I customized my spring perch so I wouldn't blame Raceseng's design.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 05:31 PM   #5
Butterballz

Drives: Black FRS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
My Racesengs had the spring perch rub on the camber plate creating a groaning noise during low speed, eventually they created the clearance they needed. If you look up from underneath you might be able to spot where the metal is rubbing.

Rear I'd say either drivetrain lash from the bushings now transmitting the noise or swaybar endlinks. Easy to check the endlinks by removing them.

Camber plate rub:
I thought it could be the spring perch but didn't get rubbing noise with -3 camber and I have less now. Didn't notice any scratches on the spring perch/camber plates. Might be tire rubbing the fender. Didn't think to check as my car isn't low. Strange thing is it only happens when I turn the steering wheel to the right at around 2o'clock.

Yea, I got to check the endlinks.
Butterballz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 07:10 PM   #6
norcalpb

Drives: 2013 BRZ, 2023 Model 3
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Sounds like you have 14 aftermarket spherical bearings in your car, so that’s most likely it.

I have the tarmac springs and they’re super cut up and rusted by the “dead spring” part. Clearly the coils are hitting each other to remove the paint and have them rust. This is probably not it, as my tarmacs don’t make much noise, but look for wear where I am talking about.
norcalpb is offline   Reply With Quote