follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine Swaps

Engine Swaps Discussion of engine swaps.

User Tag List

Old 04-03-2018, 03:37 PM   #141
wutsaiu

Drives: 2015 Raven V8
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRS-Colin View Post
Looking into doing this in a different LS swap vehicle. Any details you could provide on the adapter or the hurdles you have with the reverse gear would be awesome. Used TR6070's are incredibly cheap and a good alternative to overpriced T56's.
Considering how great of a transmission it is they go for very little used. My guess is due to lack of desirability seeing how they only work with corvettes new enough to have warranty. So the magnum tail housing is too short so I had a friend make me a spacer and got some longer bolts. Some mods to the shift rails were done as well. The tail shaft bearing was added to the shaft since on 6070 is comes with the bearing in the housing. Front plate is magnum front plate with detent. As for the reverse the idler gear is different as the reverse gears are different. The reverse shift fork also hits the tail housing preventing it from slide in. I could mod the tail housing to allow for more room for the shift fork. I would also have to find a way to get the idler gear positioned properly. I could go into more details but my hands hurt from typing this on my phone.
wutsaiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 05:12 PM   #142
MRS-Colin

Drives: 2001 Impreza 2.5 RS
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutsaiu View Post
Considering how great of a transmission it is they go for very little used. My guess is due to lack of desirability seeing how they only work with corvettes new enough to have warranty. So the magnum tail housing is too short so I had a friend make me a spacer and got some longer bolts. Some mods to the shift rails were done as well. The tail shaft bearing was added to the shaft since on 6070 is comes with the bearing in the housing. Front plate is magnum front plate with detent. As for the reverse the idler gear is different as the reverse gears are different. The reverse shift fork also hits the tail housing preventing it from slide in. I could mod the tail housing to allow for more room for the shift fork. I would also have to find a way to get the idler gear positioned properly. I could go into more details but my hands hurt from typing this on my phone.
All good, I've been looking at some diagrams to get familiar with the issues. If you have any pictures or info I'm super interested.
Old 04-30-2018, 02:20 PM   #143
jwvand02

Drives: 2013 SWP BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutsaiu View Post
Working well aside from having no reverse. Still trying to solve that. Much stronger transmission than an old T56.
Is the spacer available commercially? Corvette TR6060s are super cheap as well, but I really haven't been able to find info on what all you need to convert them to attach directly to the motor. If you have links for research I'd appreciate it.
jwvand02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 09:21 PM   #144
wutsaiu

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwvand02 View Post
Is the spacer available commercially? Corvette TR6060s are super cheap as well, but I really haven't been able to find info on what all you need to convert them to attach directly to the motor. If you have links for research I'd appreciate it.
I had the spacer custom made. The spacer is only needed for TR6070 since the original tailhousing is longer than T56 magnum.

I'm guessing converting a TR6060 should be similar.

-Mid-plate from T56 Magnum (this the plate at the front of the transmission)
-Cut shift rail that sticks out of front of transmission to proper length for new mid-plate
-Notch shift rail for detent spring in mid-plate (if you don't do this right, it won't go in/stay in gear, I think I was off a bit in a spot and my 6th gear pops out sometimes)
-Remove top lockout unit
-Replace or modify the H pattern guide thingy under the top lockout unit, cover with plate (I bought a plate but honestly it's just a piece of metal with 4 holes, can make your own)
-Modify/add shift lever/rail (the part that goes under your shifter)
-Install T56 magnum tailhousing, plug all speedo sensor and lockout holes

It's not easy or quick but can be done. Other people swap the mainshaft but I managed to keep the corvette one and found a yoke to fit the spline. On the TR6070 the length of the mainshaft is only a tiny bit too long and not a problem, not sure about TR6060. It must be noted I have no speedo sensors or reverse lockouts but for FRS/BRZ with wheel speed sensors it doesn't matter. Be careful with the midplate bearing retainers, you need to shim them properly to correct fit. TR6070 also requires modifications for 7th/Reverse gear but those shouldn't be a problem for TR6060. The TR6060 is more similar to T56 magnum than TR6070 but that being said I have only actually modified a TR6070, so I can't guarantee anything.
The Following User Says Thank You to wutsaiu For This Useful Post:
Sportsguy83 (05-01-2018)
Old 04-30-2018, 09:33 PM   #145
wutsaiu

I did quite the damage making enough room for reverse fork to clear.
Grinded part of the casting right through and hacked away half the reverse idler gear bracket.
I welded it up the hole, hopefully everything works and doesn't leak.
I haven't driven it yet.
Sportsguy83 (05-01-2018)
Old 06-10-2018, 07:48 PM   #146
HawaiianMike

Drives: 2015 Brz Limited
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I don't know whether you have mentioned or if it was asked (i should know, i've only read this and "Another v8 swap" many times at work). But I was wondering how the whole wiring harness is set up?

How are you integrating the gm harness/ecm into the brz chasis.

I am not as proficient using an arduino so I may hit up @MRS_Colin and get their talkity talk module.

That being said, could I take a harness modified to be a standalone (on the gm side) use the MRS system to talk to the brz ecm. If so, how do I do this.

Thanks so much, and I hope my swap goes well haha.
HawaiianMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 08:53 AM   #147
wutsaiu

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawaiianMike View Post
I don't know whether you have mentioned or if it was asked (i should know, i've only read this and "Another v8 swap" many times at work). But I was wondering how the whole wiring harness is set up?

How are you integrating the gm harness/ecm into the brz chasis.

I am not as proficient using an arduino so I may hit up @MRS_Colin and get their talkity talk module.

That being said, could I take a harness modified to be a standalone (on the gm side) use the MRS system to talk to the brz ecm. If so, how do I do this.

Thanks so much, and I hope my swap goes well haha.
My GM ECU is standalone.
The only connections to the subaru wiring system are the following;
-Keyed power source to turn on ECU, found a source in fuse panel in engine bay
-Ran fuel pump wire from GM ECU to relay in fuse panel in engine bay
-Power and ground for GM ECU to battery
-Tach output wire from GM ECU to Arduino and Arduino connected to subaru OBD2 port for canbus

I did some other wiring mods;
-Bypass fuel pump controller so fuel pump gets power all the time
-Jumper for starter relay so starter motor works without subaru ECU

I think that's everything.

Not going to even attempt to comment on MRS system when I've never touched one and the guy who made it is on here.
Merc (07-16-2018)