follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Old 10-04-2014, 10:24 AM   #29
RojerLockless

Drives: Raven Fr-s
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
I effing LOVE yellow cars and if it was 27-28k I'd be in the market, but there's just no freaking way I'm trading in my 2013 which I paid 23,500 for; for a RS for 31. No thanks WAY too many better options for that price range.
Old 10-04-2014, 10:25 AM   #30
extrashaky

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Thanked 5,618 Times in 2,266 Posts
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowfrs View Post
I don't understand why some people have a problem with body kits.
Depends on the body kit. I don't like them because they generally (but not always) take a vehicle with nice clean lines and trash it up. It's like smothering a good steak with ketchup. In many cases it reflects very poor taste on the part of the owner.

I really don't have a problem with the RS body kit, because they didn't go overboard with it. Some of the junkwagons people post here with giant wings and Rocket Ninny bodies are just horrifying.
Old 10-04-2014, 10:33 AM   #31
Dezoris

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 2,997 Times in 1,095 Posts
Mentioned: 159 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caspeed View Post
What a CR has that a regular s2000 does not.
--------------------
-Aero Package, RS1 DITTO
-Upgraded tires, WEAR ITEM RELACED ANYWAY
-Stiffer springs, TRD SPRINGS WITH PROGRESSIVE REARS
-Stiffer shocks, TRD SPRINGS TUNED TO ORIGINAL SHOCKS
-Thicker sway bars, SEE SPRINGS, It's about the tuning of the chassis
-Brace added behind seats, RS1 IS A COUPE SO BRACE NOT AS CRITICAL, STIFFER
-Quicker steering ratio, MAY OR MAY NOT BE A PLUS DEPENDS ON THE CAR
-Shorter shifting with different shift knob, WE GOT THE KNOB AND A $150 OPTION TO SHORTEN SHIFTER
-peak-power indicator, REALLY...THIS IS FLUFF
-Synthetic suede Interior w/ high grip carpeted seat inserts, RS1 DITTO
-Carbon Fiber look radio cover and sliding center console cover, RS1 DITTO, FLUFF
-A/C + stereo optional, I LIVE IN MIAMI NEED A/C
-Sound deadening material removed, MINOR WEIGHT SAVINGS MORE ROAD NOISE
-Soft top Removed, RS1 COUPE
-Hard top standard, SEE ABOVE
-Different sounding exhaust, RS1 DITTO

"Same changes" my ass lol .... So as I said " basically the same changes"
While I want to disagree with some of that I agree but whats left out if resale value.
Old 10-04-2014, 10:38 AM   #32
Dezoris

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 2,997 Times in 1,095 Posts
Mentioned: 159 Post(s)
All these body kit special editions remind me of when Toyota did this to the Celica. Throw on body kit make a slow car look fast.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PavGaCDR_Bs"]Toyota Celica Funny Commercial - YouTube[/ame]
Old 10-04-2014, 10:39 AM   #33
Caspeed

Drives: FRS-RS1, Triumph Speed Triple, Lola
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Only time will tell about resale value. But heavily modded cars will not hold value as well as unmodded cars. If you take a 30k car and add 10k of performance mods you won't recover it. Been there done that.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Caspeed For This Useful Post:
NIN69 (10-04-2014), Rampage (10-04-2014)
Old 10-04-2014, 10:59 AM   #34
NIN69
Izzy Gure (Senior Member)

Drives: FR-S TRD Release Series 1.0 / #1459
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caspeed View Post
Only time will tell about resale value. But heavily modded cars will not hold value as well as unmodded cars. If you take a 30k car and add 10k of performance mods you won't recover it. Been there done that.
I agree. I would leave the RS 1.0 as a base model. Once you start adding all kinds of aftermarket parts and rebadging it is no longer a true TRD edition. However it's not my money, so the owner will have to make that decision.

Visit me on Facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/izzygure
Old 10-04-2014, 11:16 AM   #35
civdaddy

Drives: Slow
[QUOTE=Caspeed;1971948]What a CR has that a regular s2000 does not.
--------------------
-Aero Package, RS1 DITTO
-Upgraded tires, WEAR ITEM RELACED ANYWAY
-Stiffer springs, TRD SPRINGS WITH PROGRESSIVE REARS
-Stiffer shocks, TRD SPRINGS TUNED TO ORIGINAL SHOCKS
-Thicker sway bars, SEE SPRINGS, It's about the tuning of the chassis
-Brace added behind seats, RS1 IS A COUPE SO BRACE NOT AS CRITICAL, STIFFER
-Quicker steering ratio, MAY OR MAY NOT BE A PLUS DEPENDS ON THE CAR
-Shorter shifting with different shift knob, WE GOT THE KNOB AND A $150 OPTION TO SHORTEN SHIFTER
-peak-power indicator, REALLY...THIS IS FLUFF
-Synthetic suede Interior w/ high grip carpeted seat inserts, RS1 DITTO
-Carbon Fiber look radio cover and sliding center console cover, RS1 DITTO, FLUFF
-A/C + stereo optional, I LIVE IN MIAMI NEED A/C
-Sound deadening material removed, MINOR WEIGHT SAVINGS MORE ROAD NOISE
-Soft top Removed, RS1 COUPE
-Hard top standard, SEE ABOVE
-Different sounding exhaust, RS1 DITTO
-Slightly re-tuned ECU (reported on this site, not by Honda), NOT VERIFIED ON EITHER CAR
-Spare tire replaced with inflation kit, YOU REMOVE THE SPARE TO RACE ANYWAY
-Different wheels, RS1 SHOULD HAVE HAD OTHER WHEELS
-Black lug nuts, HARD TO GET EXCITED ANOUT THIS
-Clear side-markers, FLUFF

"Same changes" my ass lol .... So as I said " basically the same changes"[/QUOTE

Well shit my bad, might as well call it the "Scion FR-S CR" cuz it's clearly the same upgrade 👍
Old 10-04-2014, 11:18 AM   #36
Rapiddan45

Drives: 2013 FR-S M/T Ultramarine
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
They tried selling me on a 10 series when I got mine...I just couldnt justify the extra $5k for push button and all the extra elctronics, which just leaves more things to break in the future. If this was my full time daily, then sure I might, just MIGHT be able to justify all the extra bells and whistles. But even that is a hard sell.
I'll keep my base and extra ~$5k
Not hating on the other releases and editions, just not my thing.
C38 JRSC, JROC, Delicious Tune, Radium PCV Catch Can
Old 10-04-2014, 11:44 AM   #37
VacantSky
The Angry Brit

Drives: 1991 E30 318iS
It's not that I hate body kits. I just don't like this one, or for that matter hardly any built for this car, OEM or not. They just stick on over the existing body work? To me that seems half assed especially for OEM. My point is how about making a slightly different bumper, design the lower lip differently. Or rocker panel extensions/side lips: not something that just sticks on the side of the car. It just looks like an after thought, and in my opinion: cheap.

I'll raise a point again, when a lot of manufacturers release an "edition" version of the car it gets a slight redesign of bumpers, rocker panels (that aren't stick on!!!) and new wheels

Example of my old car right here, a SAAB 9-3 Viggen:

And ignoring the fact that my car was a convertible, this is the regular SAAB 9-3:

Bumpers, rocker panels, and wheels are the largest visual differences.

Then we'll get into the heated argument of cost to produce a different bumper. SAAB was a tiny tiny car manufacturer. With only 2 models at that time. And not a large facility, with as much money to burn as Toyota/Fuji. Nor did they have a large market to appeal to. They only had the 9-5, and the 9-3. The 9-5 had an "Aero" model, guess what. Different bumpers, wheels, and rockers. Even the interiors of the Aero and Viggen had different seats.

Look at the V6 mustang verses the 5.0... look at the V6 camaro verses the SS..

..I could go on with so many examples. Not just American cars. Those are just a couple seen almost every day.

Toyota Scion has a large market they appeal to and definitely can afford to put a differently designed bumper into production is my point..
Old 10-04-2014, 12:34 PM   #38
Caspeed

Drives: FRS-RS1, Triumph Speed Triple, Lola
Garage
I'm not degrading the S2K, I've driven several of them including the first one in South Florida. It's a great car. I'm a Honda guy dating back to the early 70's I've worked with Honda and Acura engeneers on trouble shooting issues with the cars. As a result I am impressed with their focus on performance and quality in their cars. I've meet with G.M. engineers and my impression of them was not as good.

My point is that the CR has held value better than the Base S2k. And due to some of the simularities between the CR package and the RS package the RS in the long run should hold it's value better than a base model.

I'm not saying one car is better than the other. I looked at the CRs and was close to buying one with under 5k miles but I felt that It doesn't make financial sense to me at this time to buy a 7 yr old car with no warranty for 30-40k. I was also considering the M Z Coupe but also drew the same conclusion. So bang for the buck I picked the RS1. I'll probably add RPF1s and maybe the TRD intake and leave it at that.

For me, at this time, it's what I feel is best. You should buy what suits you best. Just do your research first, and filter through the "Fan Boys" and "Haters" and make the best choice you can.

Last edited by Caspeed; 10-04-2014 at 01:09 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Caspeed For This Useful Post:
yellowfrs (10-04-2014)
Old 10-04-2014, 02:13 PM   #39
Obja

Drives: Raven FRS/c5 Corvette
Garage
the list of things you could do with 6 grand to your car just goes on and on

and a shitty body kit and yellow paint are not on that list.....
Old 10-04-2014, 04:01 PM   #40
yellowfrs
511/1500

Drives: Angry Banana
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
If one so wants FI and a lot more power on this car they are buying the wrong car to start with. It's been said numerous times that the extra creature comfort and convenience features like HID, push start, etc. will cost more if buying separately. Color is a personal choice so I can't say much other than if one wants yellow color there is no better way to get it. Same with body kits. At the end of the day, the extra retained resale value will justify the expense.
Old 10-04-2014, 04:22 PM   #41
1GiantTurtle
Space for Rent

Drives: 2014 6MT ToyoBaru86ScionMonogram?
Thanked 1,136 Times in 526 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Because SCION
i can totally imagine them doing a "GT" series where they bring the JDM red interior over in a "special" red only paint, then screw everyone over in 6 months and make it available in all colors.

Instagram: 86turtle
Old 10-04-2014, 05:36 PM   #42
VacantSky
The Angry Brit

Drives: 1991 E30 318iS
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowfrs View Post
If one so wants FI and a lot more power on this car they are buying the wrong car to start with. It's been said numerous times that the extra creature comfort and convenience features like HID, push start, etc. will cost more if buying separately. Color is a personal choice so I can't say much other than if one wants yellow color there is no better way to get it. Same with body kits. At the end of the day, the extra retained resale value will justify the expense.

Did you even read my post? I never once said "needs FI and a lot more power". I talked about what a let down this car is, how toyota/scion did a shitty job trying to bring a TRD oriented version to the states, and not understanding the hype.

Please tell me how I bought the wrong car for my needs. I presume you know my needs? And explain how this car is bad for a lot more power. It's seems to be very happy in the hands of many racing teams ramping up the power.. And mine personally seems very happy with full NA bolt ons and a tune to match. It's a corner carver which benefits largely from a power bump. And no I'm not talking OMG WTF 400whp turbo power. Just a moderate power increase makes this light weight puppy come to life.

If resale value is all people can justify buying the special edition then buy the BRZ. The Subaru is always going to have a better resale value.

Closed Thread