follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 11-28-2020, 11:03 AM   #15
Dave-ROR
Site Moderator

Drives: Stuff
Thanked 5,965 Times in 2,689 Posts
Mentioned: 262 Post(s)
Tagged: 8 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocRecon View Post
**Admins, please delete if this info is in another thread. I searched and can't find it.**

I wanted to get some opinions on the best clutch/flywheel kit brands for our cars..........with a supercharger. I have a 2013 with a Kraftwerks C38 (bigger blower) kit that I'm about to install and I need to obviously change the clutch/flywheel from OEM, along with clutch fork & pivot, too.

The car also has an oil cooler, catless EL headers/performance exhaust all the way back, and Grams injectors; too. I'm assuming with the C38 blower that the car should be putting down high 200's in the torque department or maybe low 300's on E85, so I want a solid kit.

I've considered the ACT Xtreme Street/Strip, Exedy Stage 3, Competition Clutch Stage 4, or the McLeod Street Tuner clutch. I just know there's a ton of other companies out there like OS Giken and HKS, but I don't know anything about them.

Opinions?

ACT!!!

haha

(j/k)
Tow: 2022 F-450
Toys: 2001 Chevrolet Corvette Z06, 1993 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1994 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1991 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
Parts: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited, 2005 Acura TSX
Projects: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited track car build
FS: 2004 GMC Sierra 2500 LT CCSB 8.1/Allison with 99k miles
Dave-ROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 11:11 AM   #16
Dave-ROR
Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRS_FIEND View Post
Theres so many variables here. Did they install it themselves, was it there first time? Did they torque everything to spec. Are they hard launching every light, do that suck at manual and think they're pros, are they riding the clutch etc. I have an ACT xt clutch normal flyweight with a verus clutch fork and pivot. I have zero problems. Granted my frs is only on a 7psi atm but in February I'm getting tuned 9psi on e85. Remember you're only going to see/read bad experiences with a product because it's more vocalized the people that are happy with the product are out driving their car 👌
I've installed dozens of clutches and never had one stop working so soon like the ACT in my FRS. I am pulling the trans to see if something else broke.. and to be fair I do have the OEM fork so that could be the problem. I have a verus or whatever from a parts car to install instead.

I also bought another new TOB, new fork springs, new pivot, etc to give it the best chance of working.

I'm hoping to not buy a new clutch and have used ACT clutches in several other vehicles without issue. I do have the LW flywheel as well since it's a track car. Since it's a track car (only, it's not even registered) break in isn't really a thing that easily happens.. but I've had plenty of track only and race cars that never get clutch breakins and go straight to the track and none of those have ever failed either.
Toys: 2001 Chevrolet Corvette Z06, 1993 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1994 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1991 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dave-ROR For This Useful Post:
DocRecon (02-28-2021), FRS_FIEND (11-28-2020), ls1ac (11-28-2020)
Old 11-28-2020, 05:00 PM   #17
FRS_FIEND
Whats next?

Drives: '13 Asphalt FRS MT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-ROR View Post
I've installed dozens of clutches and never had one stop working so soon like the ACT in my FRS. I am pulling the trans to see if something else broke.. and to be fair I do have the OEM fork so that could be the problem. I have a verus or whatever from a parts car to install instead.

I also bought another new TOB, new fork springs, new pivot, etc to give it the best chance of working.

I'm hoping to not buy a new clutch and have used ACT clutches in several other vehicles without issue. I do have the LW flywheel as well since it's a track car. Since it's a track car (only, it's not even registered) break in isn't really a thing that easily happens.. but I've had plenty of track only and race cars that never get clutch breakins and go straight to the track and none of those have ever failed either.
Yeah you're going to love the verus changes. I did mine in all one go and had zero issues, I cant speak to a act xt clutch with a oem fork and oem throw out bearing which we all know are weak and prone to failure. I'm the type that changes things before they're an issue.

Good to hear another person with a good experience with act. I'm no* ACT is end all be all guy*. I'm just saying I dont have a problem with mine. Great for my street car, cant speak for track use.

Instagram: @angelb_af

Last edited by FRS_FIEND; 11-28-2020 at 05:06 PM. Reason: * = words left out
FRS_FIEND is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FRS_FIEND For This Useful Post:
DocRecon (02-28-2021)
Old 11-28-2020, 05:03 PM   #18
FRS_FIEND
Whats next?

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Yep. And at the same time I would feel bad if I didn't say anything and 6 months down the road he is back with "my clutch won't work".
Agreed.

Old 11-28-2020, 08:04 PM   #19
Dave-ROR
Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRS_FIEND View Post
Yeah you're going to love the verus changes. I did mine in all one go and had zero issues, I cant speak to a act xt clutch with a oem fork and oem throw out bearing which we all know are weak and prone to failure. I'm the type that changes things before they're an issue.

Good to hear another person with a good experience with act. I'm no* ACT is end all be all guy*. I'm just saying I dont have a problem with mine. Great for my street car, cant speak for track use.
Well after dropping the trans.. I found no damage to the clutch/pp/fw. The fork LOOKED fine. Springs all looked fine. Everything was installed exactly as it should be. Pivot also looked fine but.. it was a TINY amount shorter than the new OEM one I bought. I replaced the springs, pivot, TOB and installed the verus fork and threw it back together.

I didn't drive it at all since the car has no exhaust (broke the resonator on the MXP CompRS right down the welds so just buying another exhaust instead - will fix that one later and use on our future champ car frs/brz - also that resonator high sided on rocks and was pulled from a wrecked car sooo...).

I did also discover that the trans fluid which has 4.5 days or so of usage on it was pretty burnt smelling. Gear 300 so not shit fluid. Car has underpanels all the way to the diff so I suspect the trans got very hot and fluid may have overheated... (it's probably worth noting I don't drive the car gently)

Bled the clutch too just in case.

Will find out if it's working Dec 11-13..
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dave-ROR For This Useful Post:
DarkPira7e (11-29-2020), FRS_FIEND (11-29-2020), Tcoat (11-29-2020)
Old 11-29-2020, 02:09 AM   #20
FRS_FIEND
Whats next?

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-ROR View Post
Well after dropping the trans.. I found no damage to the clutch/pp/fw. The fork LOOKED fine. Springs all looked fine. Everything was installed exactly as it should be. Pivot also looked fine but.. it was a TINY amount shorter than the new OEM one I bought. I replaced the springs, pivot, TOB and installed the verus fork and threw it back together.

I didn't drive it at all since the car has no exhaust (broke the resonator on the MXP CompRS right down the welds so just buying another exhaust instead - will fix that one later and use on our future champ car frs/brz - also that resonator high sided on rocks and was pulled from a wrecked car sooo...).

I did also discover that the trans fluid which has 4.5 days or so of usage on it was pretty burnt smelling. Gear 300 so not shit fluid. Car has underpanels all the way to the diff so I suspect the trans got very hot and fluid may have overheated... (it's probably worth noting I don't drive the car gently)

Bled the clutch too just in case.

Will find out if it's working Dec 11-13..
Nice man ! My oem fork, pivot both looked very worn at 70k-80k the main reason I ended up switching everything was because my oem bearing was making the "I'm about to die" sound when engaging the clutch and was prepping for FI. I also knew about our forks folding issue, and what to swap everything at once rather than have to open up the trans again at a later date. You're going to love the clutch feel after, everything feels super solid after. That's crazy about your exhaust!

Good luck with your car on Dec 10-13th ! Hope all works out for you 🤙

Old 02-19-2021, 01:34 PM   #21
botbs

Drives: 18 BRZ tS, 27 GRMN 86
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
One other point. If a daily driver stay away from light weight fly wheels. With what you plan the disadvantages will greatly outweigh (no pun intended) the advantages during normal driving. If a track only car then go for it as then the advantages will pay off.

Would Exedy OEM Replacement Flywheel be okay ($118USD)? Or has to be Subaru OEM ($230USD)?

Anyone know why the Southbend flywheel ($375 USD) is so expensive?

Thanks!
botbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 01:37 PM   #22
jeepmor

Drives: 84 CJ7, 08 Duramax, 2014 FRS
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Anyone see Drift Office links to an outfit that cerakote the TOB annular shaft contact surface. Claims no issues encountered yet and shares the part number.

Bob Watanabe of Drift Office in Washington state. Helpful guy on FB, but also a busy shop. Stays up on the 86 platform offerings and is dyno tuning shop, so really knows the ropes on all the parts that have been thrown at these cars for 8 years now.

I see this has been largely a clutch specific thread, but did see the details of the supporting systems (fork, TOB) being less than ideal as well. I plan on studying this stuff closely as I'm installing a SC soon and expect that will speed my replacement of the still stock clutch.

I'll do some more digging on the Verus clutch arm and alternate TOBs. Any guidance appreciated, but I have some homework to do on my own.

https://www.facebook.com/photo?fbid=...04003719798424
jeepmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 03:58 PM   #23
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,166 Times in 6,828 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepmor View Post
Anyone see Drift Office links to an outfit that cerakote the TOB annular shaft contact surface. Claims no issues encountered yet and shares the part number.

Bob Watanabe of Drift Office in Washington state. Helpful guy on FB, but also a busy shop. Stays up on the 86 platform offerings and is dyno tuning shop, so really knows the ropes on all the parts that have been thrown at these cars for 8 years now.

I see this has been largely a clutch specific thread, but did see the details of the supporting systems (fork, TOB) being less than ideal as well. I plan on studying this stuff closely as I'm installing a SC soon and expect that will speed my replacement of the still stock clutch.

I'll do some more digging on the Verus clutch arm and alternate TOBs. Any guidance appreciated, but I have some homework to do on my own.

https://www.facebook.com/photo?fbid=...04003719798424
If you want a true TOB upgrade, the only option is the various OS Giken variants. Conveniently, OS Giken clutches (and also the CSG variants) all include the TOB and Fork upgrades in the clutch kits.

https://www.counterspacegarage.com/c...ch-system-fa20 << CSG OS Giken single

https://www.counterspacegarage.com/c...ch-system-fa20 << CSG OS Giken twin for the BIG power boys, or those who want super crisp shifts

https://www.counterspacegarage.com/o...-complete-gt86 << OS Giken STR single
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
DocRecon (02-28-2021)
Old 02-22-2021, 04:38 PM   #24
pope
has a funny hat

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
If you want a true TOB upgrade, the only option is the various OS Giken variants. Conveniently, OS Giken clutches (and also the CSG variants) all include the TOB and Fork upgrades in the clutch kits.

Is the Giken TOB compatible with other forks and pressure plates for people that have parts they are already happy with but would like an improved TOB?
pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 04:41 PM   #25
CSG Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by pope View Post
Is the Giken TOB compatible with other forks and pressure plates for people that have parts they are already happy with but would like an improved TOB?
It is not as the stack height is completely different. It only works with OS Giken clutches, which are specifically designed to work with the upgraded TOB/Fork combo.
Old 02-22-2021, 06:54 PM   #26
botbs

Drives: 18 BRZ tS, 27 GRMN 86
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post

https://www.counterspacegarage.com/c...ch-system-fa20 << CSG OS Giken single

https://www.counterspacegarage.com/c...ch-system-fa20 << CSG OS Giken twin for the BIG power boys, or those who want super crisp shifts

https://www.counterspacegarage.com/o...-complete-gt86 << OS Giken STR single
Which one is the best for daily driving with less vibration noise for supercharged vehicle about 280hp/225lb-ft.

Thinking of Southbend Stage 2 + OEM Fly wheel + Verus Clutch Fork Combo. The OS Giken seems quite nice.

Thanks!
botbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 07:17 PM   #27
CSG Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by botbs View Post
Which one is the best for daily driving with less vibration noise for supercharged vehicle about 280hp/225lb-ft.

Thinking of Southbend Stage 2 + OEM Fly wheel + Verus Clutch Fork Combo. The OS Giken seems quite nice.

Thanks!
The single discs don't have any buzz. None of them vibrate provided proper installation.

I'd go with the CSG OS Giken single for a daily. It'll easily handle your power and leave you with plenty of overhead for ethanol and/or race gas.
The Following User Says Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
botbs (02-22-2021)
Old 02-22-2021, 08:04 PM   #28
Jdmjunkie

Drives: Scion FR-S 10 Series
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by botbs View Post

Thanks!
I have a single plate OS Giken setup and I can't recommend it enough! Break in was a bit off a pain but once that is over it is the best clutch I have ever driven, performance wise.
Jdmjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jdmjunkie For This Useful Post:
botbs (02-23-2021)