follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

User Tag List

Old 01-01-2021, 11:02 PM   #379
Jordanwolf
Rice King

Drives: '19 FWD master race CTR
Thanked 2,001 Times in 1,203 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
This thread shall be cleansed.

Old 01-02-2021, 02:49 AM   #380
x808drifter
LMGTFY

Drives: 13 FRS, 91 Miata
Thanked 3,646 Times in 1,625 Posts
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
x808drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to x808drifter For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (01-02-2021)
Old 01-02-2021, 09:48 PM   #381
Capt Spaulding
Persona Non Grata

Drives: '15 BRZ (WRB)
Thanked 2,780 Times in 1,200 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Wow. All I can say about gas is that a good probiotic can help control it and point out that there is a liquid that much more expensive per unit than gasoline;

bottled water.
Old 01-03-2021, 04:56 AM   #382
kwpevents

Drives: TOYOTA Fortuner
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
ICE Vehicles

Governments Decided to ban internal combustion engine (ICE) Vehicle is mainly for avoiding Pollution
kwpevents is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 11:26 AM   #383
Kodename47

Drives: UK GT86
Thanked 1,629 Times in 1,112 Posts
Mentioned: 155 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwpevents View Post
Governments Decided to ban internal combustion engine (ICE) Vehicle is mainly for avoiding Pollution
This insight was incredibly invaluable..... I look forward to future gems.

We have a stricter timeline here, the UK is set to ban on new petrol and diesel cars in UK from 2030. Still not sure what this will mean for existing owners, but I expect a similar drive across European countries. With this, a lot of manufacturers will have to push forward in tech and the infrastructure provisions will have to accelerate and hopefully come cheaper.

Oh, and we do find your healthcars systems baffling. Private here is used if you want a better (read faster) service but I don't know how you could not have a free to all service like the NHS. My private insurance through work is a whopping £600 a year.

Kodename 47 DJ:
Soundcloud / Instagram / Facebook
Kodename47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 01:38 PM   #384
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,661 Times in 6,778 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwpevents View Post
thanks, i always thought it was to reduce demand for baseball bats and toilet paper.
Spuds (01-03-2021)
Old 01-04-2021, 08:25 PM   #385
AnalogMan

Drives: 2019 BRZ Limited 6 speed Red
Thanked 1,010 Times in 337 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rampage View Post
I see that Massachusetts will also ban sale of gasoline powered cars by 2035 and the article mentions that New Jersey has the same plan. Fortunately it only applies to new vehicles.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/news...4x2?li=BBnb4R5
The automotive apocalypse may not quite be upon us just yet, but it can be seen down the road.

I know the future is electric, etc. etc. etc. BUT.... I can still lament the passing of fun to drive, shift-for-yourself, great sounding (except maybe for the stock BRZ) internal combustion powered sports cars. So far, solely in my personal opinion, the battery electric car has yet to be built that is 1) fun to drive, and 2) has any soul.

I don't care about 'maximum torque at zero rpm'. My washing machine does the same thing, but I don't get too excited about it. For me this also includes the original Tesla Roadster. Unless a car has a manual transmission, I just can't get thrilled about it. While it's technically possible to put a manual in a BEV (Ford did it with a prototype Mustang), the power output characteristics of an electric motor make it a moot point. It's still an appliance.

I also find it ironic that Massachusetts is doing this. Yes, I know they're looking to the 'future' and projecting what will be in 2035. But at least right now, Massachusetts consumes 12 times more power than it produces. The electricity it produces in-state is 2/3 natural gas - a fossil fuel.

Presumably Massachusetts is expecting (hoping?) things will be very different in 2035. Because if they're not, it seems to be more than a little hypocritical to mandate the sale of only BEVs when the state buys most of its electricity from others, and most of what it produces on its own is from fossil fuel. It's the ultimate long tailpipe - charging electric cars with electricity produced by fossil fuels. The state is trying to develop offshore wind power, so hopefully 2035 will bring a different state of affairs.

For me personally, this just means one of 1) I'll stock up on whatever cars I like best before 2035 and make sure the inventory lasts for the rest of my life, 2) I'll move, or 3) at my age, by 2035, I may well no longer be among the living. Fun things to think about.

Regardless, we should enjoy our BRZ's while we can. The days of the traditional, shift-for-yourself, scintillating sounding, inexpensive, passionate sports cars are coming to an end.
AnalogMan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to AnalogMan For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (01-05-2021), Dirty Harry (01-05-2021), Irace86.2.0 (01-05-2021), WolfpackS2k (01-05-2021)
Old 01-05-2021, 04:29 AM   #386
Dirty Harry

Drives: 2013 BRZ Satin White Pearl
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnalogMan View Post
Regardless, we should enjoy our BRZ's while we can. The days of the traditional, shift-for-yourself, scintillating sounding, inexpensive, passionate sports cars are coming to an end.
Well said. Although a Tron type motorcycle would be pretty cool.
Attached Images

Dirty Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dirty Harry For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (01-05-2021), Wally86 (01-05-2021)
Old 01-05-2021, 07:45 AM   #387
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,907 Times in 11,362 Posts
Mentioned: 181 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Harry View Post
Sure, until you run into those tailpipe emissions from another brand. Then it's lights out...

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
Dirty Harry (01-05-2021), gravitylover (01-06-2021), soundman98 (01-05-2021), Spuds (01-05-2021), WolfpackS2k (01-05-2021)
Old 01-05-2021, 01:59 PM   #388
Irace86.2.0

Drives: Q5 + BRZ + M796
Thanked 5,802 Times in 3,297 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnalogMan View Post
The automotive apocalypse may not quite be upon us just yet, but it can be seen down the road.

I know the future is electric, etc. etc. etc. BUT.... I can still lament the passing of fun to drive, shift-for-yourself, great sounding (except maybe for the stock BRZ) internal combustion powered sports cars. So far, solely in my personal opinion, the battery electric car has yet to be built that is 1) fun to drive, and 2) has any soul.

I don't care about 'maximum torque at zero rpm'. My washing machine does the same thing, but I don't get too excited about it. For me this also includes the original Tesla Roadster. Unless a car has a manual transmission, I just can't get thrilled about it. While it's technically possible to put a manual in a BEV (Ford did it with a prototype Mustang), the power output characteristics of an electric motor make it a moot point. It's still an appliance.

I also find it ironic that Massachusetts is doing this. Yes, I know they're looking to the 'future' and projecting what will be in 2035. But at least right now, Massachusetts consumes 12 times more power than it produces. The electricity it produces in-state is 2/3 natural gas - a fossil fuel.

Presumably Massachusetts is expecting (hoping?) things will be very different in 2035. Because if they're not, it seems to be more than a little hypocritical to mandate the sale of only BEVs when the state buys most of its electricity from others, and most of what it produces on its own is from fossil fuel. It's the ultimate long tailpipe - charging electric cars with electricity produced by fossil fuels. The state is trying to develop offshore wind power, so hopefully 2035 will bring a different state of affairs.

For me personally, this just means one of 1) I'll stock up on whatever cars I like best before 2035 and make sure the inventory lasts for the rest of my life, 2) I'll move, or 3) at my age, by 2035, I may well no longer be among the living. Fun things to think about.

There are all types of car enthusiasts, but we are a rare bread, even among car enthusiasts. Automatics often outsell manual transmissions, even in sporty cars, or they are not offered at all. Weight continues to rise in exchange for raw power, so the landscape of sporty cars is evolving to be more and more like large, highway-queen sedans. This evolving trend fits perfectly with the EV platform. If dual clutches are faster than manuals then it follows that a gearless/clutchless/single-speed setup would be ideal. If turbos are better than NA engines because they offer a broad and instant torque curve then EVs one up them. If power is so easy that many sporty cars are traction limited then extra weight just ads to performance, so EVs fit in. If maintenance and reliability becomes more and more of a problem as horsepower increases then EVs are perfectly positioned to offer reliable power. In a world where manufactures are dealing with traction problems with fancy AWD systems, active diffs and control systems, EVs have the benefit of a low COG, dual/tri motor systems instead of complex differentials without the drivetrain losses, while putting the motor directly over the wheels.

Like I initially said, we have all different types of car enthusiasts. It is clear from what I said before that we are a rare bread--those of us that prefer sound, lightweight, handling, engagement, high power band, NA, manual sporty cars--even among performance oriented enthusiasts, but we are just a slice of the pie. There are stance enthusiasts, audiophiles, show car enthusiasts, off-road/rally enthusiasts, off-road/truck enthusiasts, luxury snobs, media/tech junkies, lighting junkies, low-riders/donks, classic car enthusiasts, etc, and there is overlap. Some of these have no regard to the type of drivetrain, so I don't see car culture disappearing anytime soon just because we go to EVs.

I'm confident there will continue to be a 25 year law and other paths for the car enthusiasts, even if new car sales are limited to EVs. The bigger issue might be the availability of gasoline or E85 in the future more than if someone is allowed to register an ICE vehicle.
AnalogMan (01-05-2021), Ohio Enthusiast (01-05-2021), Wally86 (01-06-2021)
Old 01-05-2021, 06:33 PM   #389
Spuds
The Dictater

Drives: '13 Red Scion FRS
Thanked 12,400 Times in 6,129 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quote:
Someone made one...

Spuds is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Spuds For This Useful Post:
Dirty Harry (01-06-2021), gravitylover (01-06-2021)
Old 01-06-2021, 06:42 AM   #390
Dirty Harry

Drives: 2013 BRZ Satin White Pearl
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuds View Post
Someone made one...
Is it an EV though? Does look cool.
Dirty Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 08:47 AM   #391
Spuds
The Dictater

Drives: '13 Red Scion FRS
Thanked 12,400 Times in 6,129 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quote:
Is it an EV though? Does look cool.
Yes. It's called a Neutron if you wanted to see more of it. You might need to search for "Neutron bike" for obvious reasons.
Spuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 09:14 AM   #392
Stonehorsw

Drives: 18 Brz (Sold) / 22 BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Guys, banning ICE vehicles does not mean going to BEV. Hybrids are not considered ICE.
Stonehorsw is offline   Reply With Quote