follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > New England

New England MA, ME, NH, RI, VT

User Tag List

Old 11-14-2020, 04:21 PM   #1
cbcgood

Drives: 2022 Subaru BRZ Limited MT WRB
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Reliable mechanics in mass Boston area for pre-purchase inspections?

Hi everyone. I recently got my eyes on a used 2015 manual BRZ. It's under 60k miles and the price is okay.

It's my first time buying a used car and it's a BRZ, so I want to be cautious and get somebody trustworthy to inspect the car before I buy.

Do you guys have any recommendations or advice on the issue? Any help would be appreciated!
cbcgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 05:12 PM   #2
HaXx

Drives: jrsc_brz
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbcgood View Post
Hi everyone. I recently got my eyes on a used 2015 manual BRZ. It's under 60k miles and the price is okay.

It's my first time buying a used car and it's a BRZ, so I want to be cautious and get somebody trustworthy to inspect the car before I buy.

Do you guys have any recommendations or advice on the issue? Any help would be appreciated!
i would probably take it to a dealer, the largest in the area is subie of wakefield, and have their service department conduct a multi point inspection, tell them your interested in buying and want a health check up. theyll check stuff like brake pad wear, suspension components and play in the wheel bearings/arm ends/tie rods/ and that kind of stuff. theyll also see if the oil pan is covered in dripping oil, listen for weird sounds inside the block. theyll notice if the diff is scraped from being slammed on its nuts from a previous owner, leaking axles and such

as far as the most reputable and established performance shops specializing in specifically boxer baddies, check out signal and brentuning. kinetic is also a top boxer tuner, theres about a 30 person waiting line to get built engines by them, but theyre in NH

i suppose you could conduct this check up at a performance tune shop like brentuning/ signal motorsport/ fastrak auto, but a dealer(or any repair shop for that matter) can tell you unbiased the general condition of the car. i mean if you already have a repair guy/gal you trust you can have them take a look.
Old 11-14-2020, 05:29 PM   #3
cbcgood

Drives: 2022 Subaru BRZ Limited MT WRB
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaXx View Post
i would probably take it to a dealer, the largest in the area is subie of wakefield, and have their service department conduct a multi point inspection, tell them your interested in buying and want a health check up. theyll check stuff like brake pad wear, suspension components and play in the wheel bearings/arm ends/tie rods/ and that kind of stuff. theyll also see if the oil pan is covered in dripping oil, listen for weird sounds inside the block. theyll notice if the diff is scraped from being slammed on its nuts from a previous owner, leaking axles and such

as far as the most reputable and established performance shops specializing in specifically boxer baddies, check out signal and brentuning. kinetic is also a top boxer tuner, theres about a 30 person waiting line to get built engines by them, but theyre in NH

i suppose you could conduct this check up at a performance tune shop like brentuning/ signal motorsport/ fastrak auto, but a dealer(or any repair shop for that matter) can tell you unbiased the general condition of the car. i mean if you already have a repair guy/gal you trust you can have them take a look.
Thank you so much for all the thorough recommendations!! That is super helpful!
cbcgood is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cbcgood For This Useful Post:
HaXx (11-14-2020)
Old 11-15-2020, 06:05 AM   #4
54fighting

Drives: 2020 toyota 86
Fast Track in Peabody...be sure Scott does it.
54fighting is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 54fighting For This Useful Post:
supreme_frs (11-19-2020)
Old 11-19-2020, 12:43 PM   #5
supreme_frs

Drives: 2014 Asphalt Grey FRS
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
I second Fast Track/Scott, its the only shop I trust with my car.
supreme_frs is offline   Reply With Quote