follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
86WORX
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.


User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-12-2022, 08:47 AM   #15
Breadman
Senior Member
 
Breadman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Drives: 2017 BRZ w/PP
Location: Pa
Posts: 1,019
Thanks: 51
Thanked 300 Times in 223 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Kswap it. I paid for an IAG long block and have a c38 with hbp and regret not kswapping it after seeing how easy it was on the boostedboiz youtube. also if you want a shortblock i have a 17+ from a donor motor in my garage
Breadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2022, 11:35 AM   #16
NoHaveMSG
Senior Member
 
NoHaveMSG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Drives: Crapcan
Location: Oregon
Posts: 11,075
Thanks: 17,992
Thanked 16,204 Times in 7,317 Posts
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrhudson View Post
that short block is trashed. maybe your heads are useable wont know until the teardown. i would put that on the back burner after you pull out the motor. id focus on trying to find a good longblock near you.
This is a good point. Even if the heads are not damaged the AVCS is quite sensitive. You would want to fully disassemble them, clean all the passages, replace the filters for the AVCS, pull the cam sprockets apart and clean them too.
__________________
"Experience is the hardest kind of teacher. It gives you the test first and the lesson afterward." -Oscar Wilde.
NoHaveMSG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NoHaveMSG For This Useful Post:
jrhudson (07-12-2022), Ultramaroon (07-12-2022)
Old 07-12-2022, 09:25 PM   #17
jrhudson
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2021
Drives: 2016 scion frs
Location: ca
Posts: 234
Thanks: 122
Thanked 99 Times in 66 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG View Post
This is a good point. Even if the heads are not damaged the AVCS is quite sensitive. You would want to fully disassemble them, clean all the passages, replace the filters for the AVCS, pull the cam sprockets apart and clean them too.
i agree 100%. man, you just listing what to do gave me ptsd. cleaning those parts took a while not to mention all other parts on the heads. cam carrier, cam caps, shims, roller rockers, oil spout things, cams.
jrhudson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jrhudson For This Useful Post:
DarkPira7e (07-15-2022), NoHaveMSG (07-12-2022)
Old 07-12-2022, 10:08 PM   #18
NoHaveMSG
Senior Member
 
NoHaveMSG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Drives: Crapcan
Location: Oregon
Posts: 11,075
Thanks: 17,992
Thanked 16,204 Times in 7,317 Posts
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrhudson View Post
i agree 100%. man, you just listing what to do gave me ptsd. cleaning those parts took a while not to mention all other parts on the heads. cam carrier, cam caps, shims, roller rockers, oil spout things, cams.
I forgot that you went through this all with your car.
__________________
"Experience is the hardest kind of teacher. It gives you the test first and the lesson afterward." -Oscar Wilde.
NoHaveMSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 02:03 AM   #19
Ultramaroon
fabulous
 
Ultramaroon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Location: vantucky, wa
Posts: 31,776
Thanks: 51,945
Thanked 36,383 Times in 18,855 Posts
Mentioned: 1104 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
It is a great project if all priority is given to getting each step just right, and no thought to schedule.
__________________
Ultramaroon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 12:29 PM   #20
vfrqqq
Ultra Senior Member
 
vfrqqq's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Drives: 2014 BRZ Premium, WRB
Location: East Coast, US
Posts: 209
Thanks: 43
Thanked 60 Times in 37 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Regarding whether to go back to FI, I appreciate the feedback and recognize that people ask these open-ended type of please-tell-me-categorically-whether-I-can-I-safely-do-this questions all the time on this forum, so I also appreciate you indulging me. I know at the end of the day I have to be comfortable with whatever I do and, even before this, I gained a healthy appreciation for the risk I was taking. So I know that, ultimately, if I don't want to worry about reliability, I shouldn't move away from OEM. At a minimum, if I even considered going back to FI, I would omit the FlexFuel capability.
vfrqqq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 12:46 PM   #21
vfrqqq
Ultra Senior Member
 
vfrqqq's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Drives: 2014 BRZ Premium, WRB
Location: East Coast, US
Posts: 209
Thanks: 43
Thanked 60 Times in 37 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breadman View Post
Kswap it. I paid for an IAG long block and have a c38 with hbp and regret not kswapping it after seeing how easy it was on the boostedboiz youtube. also if you want a shortblock i have a 17+ from a donor motor in my garage
I had considered potentially doing a Kswap, but it's too expensive for me. If this was a project car and I wasn't trying to get my DD back, I would definitely consider it. However, I was also under the general impression that, even with the K-Power Industries 86 Kswap kit, there are lots of important details to pay attention to that can make or break the build, versus swaping out my old engine with a used long block of the same vintage. Granted there seems to be a fairly decent sized kswap community for the BRZ on this forum and I haven't seen any of the boostedboiz youtube content, but the potential difficulty and especially the cost have generally steered me away from a Kswap.
vfrqqq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 12:52 PM   #22
vfrqqq
Ultra Senior Member
 
vfrqqq's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Drives: 2014 BRZ Premium, WRB
Location: East Coast, US
Posts: 209
Thanks: 43
Thanked 60 Times in 37 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrhudson View Post
i agree 100%. man, you just listing what to do gave me ptsd. cleaning those parts took a while not to mention all other parts on the heads. cam carrier, cam caps, shims, roller rockers, oil spout things, cams.
Would you also do this for a used long block from a salvage or, further still, tearing down a used engine to visually inspect it and then reassembling it? That's obviously the surest way to assess the state of the engine, but it would also seem to defeat the purpose of getting a long block in the first place so that it would stay buttoned up.
vfrqqq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 12:57 PM   #23
vfrqqq
Ultra Senior Member
 
vfrqqq's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Drives: 2014 BRZ Premium, WRB
Location: East Coast, US
Posts: 209
Thanks: 43
Thanked 60 Times in 37 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
It is a great project if all priority is given to getting each step just right, and no thought to schedule.
I would personally love to take something like this on, but unfortunately I am going to be schedule-limited.
vfrqqq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 01:15 PM   #24
Ultramaroon
fabulous
 
Ultramaroon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Location: vantucky, wa
Posts: 31,776
Thanks: 51,945
Thanked 36,383 Times in 18,855 Posts
Mentioned: 1104 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vfrqqq View Post
I would personally love to take something like this on, but unfortunately I am going to be schedule-limited.
Yeah. That was the main point of contention I read in your OP. Otherwise, I get the impression that you are a great candidate. I'm sure that, even with swapping long blocks, it will be a rewarding experience. Looking forward to following along if you decide to do it.
__________________
Ultramaroon is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ultramaroon For This Useful Post:
villainous_frx (07-14-2022), Wally86 (07-14-2022)
Old 07-13-2022, 01:20 PM   #25
brandonblt2
The Stig's African Cousin
 
brandonblt2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Drives: 2014 wrb brz
Location: NJ
Posts: 719
Thanks: 1,536
Thanked 485 Times in 255 Posts
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vfrqqq View Post
Regarding whether to go back to FI, I appreciate the feedback and recognize that people ask these open-ended type of please-tell-me-categorically-whether-I-can-I-safely-do-this questions all the time on this forum, so I also appreciate you indulging me. I know at the end of the day I have to be comfortable with whatever I do and, even before this, I gained a healthy appreciation for the risk I was taking. So I know that, ultimately, if I don't want to worry about reliability, I shouldn't move away from OEM. At a minimum, if I even considered going back to FI, I would omit the FlexFuel capability.

Do you have a backup reliable DD? If not I would get one if you plan on adding FI again. My Brz was my DD until I supercharged it then I brought a cheap 07 honda civic as a reliable cheap DD for when I ran into issues. Realistically if you plan on adding FI again your car is a project car so reliability is out the window.
__________________
Instagram: brandonblt2
Build Thread: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showt...86#post2219386
Flickr: brandonblt567
brandonblt2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to brandonblt2 For This Useful Post:
jrhudson (07-15-2022)
Old 07-13-2022, 02:49 PM   #26
vfrqqq
Ultra Senior Member
 
vfrqqq's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Drives: 2014 BRZ Premium, WRB
Location: East Coast, US
Posts: 209
Thanks: 43
Thanked 60 Times in 37 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonblt2 View Post
Do you have a backup reliable DD? If not I would get one if you plan on adding FI again. My Brz was my DD until I supercharged it then I brought a cheap 07 honda civic as a reliable cheap DD for when I ran into issues. Realistically if you plan on adding FI again your car is a project car so reliability is out the window.
I'm probably just going to get a backup, reliable DD as learning to work on this car has been as fulfilling for me as driving it. Especially since this will likely be my last hoorah with an ICE vehicle.
vfrqqq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 09:17 AM   #27
Breadman
Senior Member
 
Breadman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Drives: 2017 BRZ w/PP
Location: Pa
Posts: 1,019
Thanks: 51
Thanked 300 Times in 223 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vfrqqq View Post
I had considered potentially doing a Kswap, but it's too expensive for me. If this was a project car and I wasn't trying to get my DD back, I would definitely consider it. However, I was also under the general impression that, even with the K-Power Industries 86 Kswap kit, there are lots of important details to pay attention to that can make or break the build, versus swaping out my old engine with a used long block of the same vintage. Granted there seems to be a fairly decent sized kswap community for the BRZ on this forum and I haven't seen any of the boostedboiz youtube content, but the potential difficulty and especially the cost have generally steered me away from a Kswap.

building a built long block + boost parts + supporting mods cost me what it would be to get a plug and play kswap
Breadman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Breadman For This Useful Post:
jrhudson (07-15-2022)
Old 07-15-2022, 02:11 PM   #28
vfrqqq
Ultra Senior Member
 
vfrqqq's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Drives: 2014 BRZ Premium, WRB
Location: East Coast, US
Posts: 209
Thanks: 43
Thanked 60 Times in 37 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Fair point if you're comparing to a built FA20 long block. I've decided to get a spare DD to relieve any time pressure, so now that my BRZ is a project car, I need to decide what my ultimate goals are relative to how much I'm willing to spend.

As far as a K-swap is concerned, I guess the other major investment I'm personally concerned about in going to a different platform is the time will take for me to educate myself to the point where I would feel relatively comfortable with potential issues, design, engineering of a different platform. Aside from familiarizing myself with the K24 platform, I would need to ensure I'm comfortable with all the steps in the 86 K-swap instruction manual or that I'm willing to take the time to learn some stuff so that I'm hopefully doing it right. $10k for the KPower 86 swap kit, plus another $2k to $3k (that seems to be reasonable for what I've found online) for a decent K24A2 is a lot of money and, while I am mechanically inclined and I'm willing to go in with an optimistic attitude, the reality is I've never torn down/built an automobile engine and it's not clear whether the the K24 a good platform to learn on? So it's a bit of leap and, while I appreciate how much of a help a sizeable community with lots of helpful knowledge and support can get you in a project like this, it's daunting to think I could be, say, $13k+ into the project and run into a problem that I have take to a professional to be sure I'm not going to screw it up. Then the question becomes how much more money am I willing to spend since I'm already committed.

Anyway, just thinking out loud to help process the decision.

Last edited by vfrqqq; 07-15-2022 at 03:23 PM.
vfrqqq is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
To everyone else who has rebuilt an engine demasrv Engine, Exhaust, Transmission 18 02-03-2022 12:34 AM
Rebuilding Engine, Help! I_amhassan Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum 11 10-05-2021 10:38 AM
FR-S engine rebuilt and knocking DJjoey0812 Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB 2 01-16-2020 07:46 PM
Good Performance shops to get a engine rebuilt reckless_brz Southern California 47 01-19-2016 01:25 AM
Testing a Rebuilt Engine Exage Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions 0 04-29-2011 10:42 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:04 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2024 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.