follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Member's Car Journals

Member's Car Journals Car journals by our members.

User Tag List

Old 06-05-2020, 09:55 PM   #43
JBezugs
Good Job Subaru!

Drives: Green '17 BRZ Sport-Tech MT
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irace86.2.0 View Post
I read that and then your mod list and felt sad. I mean congrats on the numbers, but if that is all it takes to be one of the highest NA FA20s then that is sad for us. I guess everyone just goes for forced induction these days.
Keep in mind that in my area there isn't E85 readily available, so we all run 94 octane. Also, note that OnPoint's dyno reads very low - a stock 86 puts down 150whp on his dyno on average, so the numbers are better than indicated.

Still, I think its common knowledge at this point that if you want the highest NA power gains, all you need is a good header (ACE A350, JDL 4-2-1, JDL and Tomei UEL's), a quality tune, and maybe a panel filter. If you have access to E85 then you can get more power ontop of that.

Otherwise, there's not much else in terms of NA modifications that can give you tangible gains in engine output and performance. The factory intake is proven to be highly effective and aftermarket solutions don't hold up against it. Also, if I got an upgraded overpipe and high flow catted or catless frontpipe added onto my setup, I may have been able to gain a few WHP (?) but that seems to be almost negligible at this point.

Could the FA20 make more power NA than what we've seen? I mean, anything is possible if someone chose to take on the "ultimate" NA build, which would probably involve rebuilding the engine with some serious head work, cams, valve springs, etc for higher revs and better breathing, and ITB's perhaps. I'd love to see it, but it becomes cost prohibitive at that point.

If you really want to make big power, forced induction is your best bet for the money, especially with the proven reliable setups that we have available for this platform like the JRSC, Edelbrock E-Force, Greddy T518Z, JDL Turbo Kit, etc. just to name a few.

I'm going to be enjoying my car as is for a while, but if I ever do feel the need for more, I think I'll probably end up with a JRSC. The good thing about going with the SC options is that the gains from the headers translates well with boost, so it's not a sunk cost.
Old 06-06-2020, 12:33 AM   #44
Irace86.2.0

Drives: Q5 + BRZ + M796
Thanked 5,804 Times in 3,299 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
It’s cool man that the car is a freak on the dyno with a catless header and a catback. Congrats. All I am saying is that it is funny that two of the most common NA mods was all it took to be at the top. If someone said the same thing on a LS forum or K20 forum there would be some raised eyebrows.
Old 06-06-2020, 11:24 AM   #45
JBezugs
Good Job Subaru!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irace86.2.0 View Post
It’s cool man that the car is a freak on the dyno with a catless header and a catback. Congrats. All I am saying is that it is funny that two of the most common NA mods was all it took to be at the top. If someone said the same thing on a LS forum or K20 forum there would be some raised eyebrows.
Oh absolutely; if I sounded salty or standoffish in that post above, it wasn't my intent. Just wanted to elaborate on where the limits of the FA20 are when NA (which I'm sure your aware of).

The 300whp N/A K24/K20Z3 hybrids make me salivate. It really shows that even putting down similar power to the stock FA20, there is way more potential to make power on the K platform while staying NA at a reasonable cost. There hasn't been the same level of development of NA builds on the FA by a long shot.
Old 06-06-2020, 12:50 PM   #46
Irace86.2.0

Drives: Q5 + BRZ + M796
Thanked 5,804 Times in 3,299 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBezugs View Post
Oh absolutely; if I sounded salty or standoffish in that post above, it wasn't my intent. Just wanted to elaborate on where the limits of the FA20 are when NA (which I'm sure your aware of).

The 300whp N/A K24/K20Z3 hybrids make me salivate. It really shows that even putting down similar power to the stock FA20, there is way more potential to make power on the K platform while staying NA at a reasonable cost. There hasn't been the same level of development of NA builds on the FA by a long shot.
And that’s my point. Catless exhausts, CAI, E85 and maybe Crawford powerblocks are the extent of NA mods in our community. It isn’t like we see many people trying to port and polish the heads, building the heads for higher rpms, running E85 alternatives like water/meth/race fuels, making higher compression bottom ends, stroking the motors, running bigger cams, doing coolant bypasses on the TB, running bigger TBs, or much of anything NA.

Some people try faster revving mods like lighter flywheels, driveshafts and pulley sets and many try light weight mods, but power mods typically move quickly to forced induction. I’m in that boat too, but I figured there would be more NA development out there. You squashed my hopes and dreams.
Old 06-28-2020, 10:30 PM   #47
JBezugs
Good Job Subaru!

Greddy Oil Cooler is now installed!

Took me about 6 hours from start to finish, including prep and cleanup. Didn’t need to trim the ducting for my 17 BRZ which is awesome.

Only issue I had was some oil weeping from the 3 small hex bungs on the sensor adapter when the car was running. Adding some high temp thread sealant on each bung fixed the issue. Luckily, everything else went smoothly and I seem to have no other leaks from any of the AN fittings even after running for 5 mins.

The cooler increased the oil capacity of the car by 1L.

I took plenty of photos of the whole process and I’ll put the DIY up in a separate thread over the next few days.

UPDATE: DIY available here!

Last edited by JBezugs; 06-30-2020 at 03:01 PM.
JBezugs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JBezugs For This Useful Post:
Thefalls (07-03-2020)
Old 08-31-2020, 02:37 PM   #48
JBezugs
Good Job Subaru!

Had an absolute blast at Shannonville Pro with Ontario Time Attack on Saturday! I just went for lapping since it's my first time on track proper with my BRZ since it was stock back in 2017. PS4S's meant I was getting point-by's in the 1st session with a wet track, but as the track started to dry up, my hand was out the window for a good portion of the other 2 sessions with everyone else on 200TW tires .

Coming from a karting and sim-racing background where I am fairly quick, it was a humbling experience. The guys that compete in OTA are FAST. There's definitely a learning curve in terms of confidence in the car on track, particularly in the brakes. I know I was under-utilizing them a fair amount and braking quite earlier than I needed to, but like all other driving endeavors I've been a part of, confidence will come with seat time.

The Greddy Oil Cooler did not skip a beat. The highest temps I saw were ~95C (~203F) during the hottest part of the morning, which was 28C according to my car's temp gauge (~82F). When ambient was hovering around 22-23C, it stayed right at or just below 90C (194F). The Tein Flex Z's with the alignment settings were awesome as well - felt very neutral. Turned them up mildly to 5 clicks from full stiff (I run 7 from full on the street).

Ahead of the track day, I installed a set of Endless MX72 pads with Endless RF650 fluid. They have been silent (!!!) on the street, but have excellent pedal feel (the best I've felt in a road car, and I've driven tons of different stuff, from basic to exotic) and held up incredibly well to my admittedly mild abuse on track. I'm sure as I gain more confidence, they will still be able to do their job perfectly with the PS4Ses. If you're looking to buy a good hybrid street/track pad, these are the ones to get.

If anyone is on the fence about attending an OTA event, do it! It's incredibly well-organized, properly marshaled, and a very safe environment to get your track fix, whether just for lapping like me (for now) or competing! Everyone was very friendly and forthcoming in answering any questions or concerns I had, and were super welcoming to a novice like myself.

Last edited by JBezugs; 08-31-2020 at 04:53 PM.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to JBezugs For This Useful Post:
HachiRokuX (08-31-2020), ihavefat (09-17-2023), juenedgi (10-24-2022), LancePower (08-31-2020), MrSkubi (08-31-2020)
Old 10-18-2022, 06:28 PM   #49
JBezugs
Good Job Subaru!

Uhhh, so I haven't updated this in 2 years!

Lots of stuff has happened over that span, including a move to a new house!

Because of that move, I’ve been doing lots more highway driving than I was previously. With that in mind, my JDL 4-2-1 EL header combined with the Invidia R400 was too boomy, drony and fatiguing overall right in that sweet spot at 125-135kph. The catback on its own was great, but as soon as you add a header onto these cars, you need to be much more careful with exhaust selection. I’ve been running the stock (OEM) over pipe and front pipe as well this whole time. I’m sure it would be even worse without that.

Jumping back to the OEM catback is a night and day difference. I can actually hear my own thoughts on the highway now!

If I get bored of this setup I may just go with a mild axle back like a Fujitsubo Authorise S, but for now this will do!

Old 10-18-2022, 06:31 PM   #50
JBezugs
Good Job Subaru!

With the OEM Muffler back on, the one problem I had with it was that the stock tips are pretty weak.

Two stronk Amazon special, bolt-on 4” double wall tips later, and I’m a happy camper.

Old 10-18-2022, 06:59 PM   #51
RToyo86

Drives: 17 Asphalt 86
Thanked 2,195 Times in 1,124 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBezugs View Post
With the OEM Muffler back on, the one problem I had with it was that the stock tips are pretty weak.

Two stronk Amazon special, bolt-on 4” double wall tips later, and I’m a happy camper.

Got a link for the tips?
RToyo86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2022, 10:06 PM   #52
JBezugs
Good Job Subaru!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RToyo86 View Post
Got a link for the tips?
These are them!
Old 05-18-2023, 11:10 AM   #53
JBezugs
Good Job Subaru!

Spring update!

After only 1 month on the road out of winter storage, I got bored of the OEM catback.

I've been having a consistent crisis of trying to find an axle-back/cat-back that will add a bit of tone over the OEM catback setup, without the horrid drone these cars get when pairing catless headers with most other exhaust options; all while staying at a reasonable price. I used to have the Invidia R400 and while it was great with the stock header, it was brutal when paired with the JDL.

Axle-backs were definitely my preference as I get to keep the OEM midpipe and it's massive resonator, and they are quick and easy to install/remove in case the setup ends up being too drony for my liking. But, with axle-backs, the only previous options were obnoxiously loud but cheap (various muffler delete pipes), or prohibitively expensive but quiet (Fujitsubo S, HKS Legamax, Borla, STi, etc.).

As of last week however, that changed! A new muffled (!!!) axleback option from DC Sports just came out with a quiet, suitcase style muffler similar to the expensive options. I decided to take the plunge. Arrived promptly and got it installed!

The axle back weighs a bit less than factory too! Factory unit weighed in at 29.1lbs, with the new one coming in at 20.7lbs.

Welds are super nice quality, and the notched bolt holes ensures it bolts straight up to pre-and-post-facelift mid pipes.

Took it for a good 30 minute drive right after to get impressions and how does it sound? 100% perfect. Seriously. Has a very mature, smooth and pleasing tone. It's very mellow with just enough depth at very low RPMs pulling away from a stop, and retains its mellowness while not being too deep as RPMs increase. It lets you know it’s there when you're putting around town or accelerating hard, but as soon as you are holding steady state RPM it shuts right up. Very OEM+.

And the best part, ZERO DRONE on the highway! Literally ZERO! You get a slight bit of exhaust noise at speed (like a very light, pleasant background hum) but with zero resonance/drone in the cabin. At 130kph (80mph) going uphill, which used to be downright unbearable and headache inducing with my old Invidia R400, this axleback is the opposite.

This is all the more impressive considering I have a catless header. It is so hard to find an exhaust option that doesn't drone when these cars have headers. But this is definitely a solid option, and probably the most reasonably priced option of them all.

Overall, I am beyond impressed. If you are looking for a true OEM+ exhaust option that sounds good but is truly daily-driver comfortable, especially if you have headers, look no further.

Sound Clips:

Last edited by JBezugs; 05-24-2023 at 02:26 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JBezugs For This Useful Post:
MrSkubi (05-23-2023), RToyo86 (05-18-2023), Tatsu333 (02-19-2024)
Old 09-17-2023, 10:53 AM   #54
ihavefat

Drives: 2018 BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
How is the DC axleback holding up?

I have the 4 2 1 as well and I’m considering adding a mild catback to get more noise but would prefer to keep it OEM catback level sound upon startup/cruising

Also any issues with the Greddy oil cooler long term?
ihavefat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2023, 04:57 PM   #55
JBezugs
Good Job Subaru!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihavefat View Post
How is the DC axleback holding up?

I have the 4 2 1 as well and I’m considering adding a mild catback to get more noise but would prefer to keep it OEM catback level sound upon startup/cruising

Also any issues with the Greddy oil cooler long term?
Super happy with the DC Axleback after a few months and a few thousand k's. Zero buyers remorse there. Sounds awesome while being perfectly livable and doesn't drone. Very OEM+.

The Greddy cooler has been super stout over the last 3 years. Mind you I haven't put a crazy amount of miles on my car in that time (~15k kms maybe), but I have no reason to believe it won't continue to work well.