follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Old 12-18-2019, 02:28 PM   #64233
echo419

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Thanked 4,057 Times in 1,879 Posts
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG View Post
What is with the younger generation thinking they need "mental health days" off from work? Isn't that called the weekend? We have one employee here that has taken 17 unexcused days off for sick/mental health days just this year.
it's called being a pu$$y and/or someone that's ok with what is basically theft.
Old 12-18-2019, 02:35 PM   #64234
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2494 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clutch Dog View Post
not to be "that generation"

but from my point of view, we dont have the "american dream" work schedule

maybe its different for you and your organization, but my "weekends" are random days off throughout the month with no consitatancy.

that said we dont get sick or mental break days. you take leave or show up to work and nose to the grindstone.

on the civillian side of the house, from my understanding we are working longer and more oddly scheduled hours to cover the rising costs of living;
though I would argue that point too...

in short i wanted to say nothing by saying alot.

you guys get mental break days?
Even that "other" generation didn't have the dream schedule. Or at least about 95% of them didn't. Many of the things people presume we had are more myth than reality for most working people.

We have a serious attendance problem with people 30 and under. They have been trained (somewhere) that it is OK to just work when you want. They truly do not understand why they are in trouble when they take two or three work days off in their first month of employment.

LOL I frequently say "from the age of 17 to 22 if I didn't show up for work I would end in the brig or painting rocks for a few weekends"
Clutch Dog (12-18-2019), Dadhawk (12-18-2019), NoHaveMSG (12-18-2019), soundman98 (12-18-2019), Spuds (12-18-2019)
Old 12-18-2019, 02:53 PM   #64235
Stephen W.

Drives: 1993 Caterham HPC Evo
Thanked 2,405 Times in 954 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
< snip >...the less social skills or common sense they seem to have. Sort of like teachers.
Quote:
What is with the younger generation thinking they need "mental health days" off from work? Isn't that called the weekend? We have one employee here that has taken 17 unexcused days off for sick/mental health days just this year.

"Sort of like..." Not even close! Don't get me started on those *&##%$* teachers!
Seventeen days, that's nothing! Teachers in Ontario used to get 20 paid sick days per year. Unused days would automatically roll over to the next year. They averaged 9 days off so the average teacher banked 11 days per year. When they retired/left they could cash in up to 200 of those days. Anything over that was given as time off with pay.
In 2012 the government rolled it back to 11 days with pay and no roll over. Guess what? Teachers now average 11.5 sick/mental health days off per year. Not to mention all the extra prep time and personal development days they get now.
Also they get 190 days at 90% of their full pay. Their pension is over 70% of their highest grossing five years, or it was last I heard.
Old 12-18-2019, 03:01 PM   #64236
spike021

Drives: '17 Limited BRZ CWP w/ PP
Thanked 6,466 Times in 3,205 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quote:
Oregon is looking into making it a legitimate reason to miss work and we are not sure if we will be able to "charge" them PTO for it in the future. We have enough staff that they can mostly take a day off anytime if they need to schedule one. But the constant sick calls when they are not physically sick is getting out of hand. Right now the new work policy will be to charge them a PTO day until they make us unable to.
For one thing, that's super odd that Oregon is going to be invasive like that and try to standardize it.

But, I think part of it is a maturity and responsibility problem on the part of workers. Like someone said (maybe @Tcoat), nobody should be taking multiple days off in the first X months of working somewhere (unless there's a legitimately valid reason to).

And mental days off, again, shouldn't just be random days you take off because you don't feel like working. They should only be part of the amount of time you already get off, if you have that time available.

But also, those workers trying to take that time off should also try to make sure that they aren't doing it during a high-pressure time where it would adversely affect coworkers and the actual work itself.
It sounds to me like the delicate, metallic sounds of piston skirts slapping against the cylinder walls
Quote:
Now, if it was three feet long and you were using all that leverage
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to spike021 For This Useful Post:
NoHaveMSG (12-18-2019), Spuds (12-18-2019)
Old 12-18-2019, 03:14 PM   #64237
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,253 Times in 7,346 Posts
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Even that "other" generation didn't have the dream schedule. Or at least about 95% of them didn't. Many of the things people presume we had are more myth than reality for most working people.

We have a serious attendance problem with people 30 and under. They have been trained (somewhere) that it is OK to just work when you want. They truly do not understand why they are in trouble when they take two or three work days off in their first month of employment.

LOL I frequently say "from the age of 17 to 22 if I didn't show up for work I would end in the brig or painting rocks for a few weekends"
We wrote up 13 people this year for attendance. We only have 28 employees. All of them 30 or younger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen W. View Post
"Sort of like..." Not even close! Don't get me started on those *&##%$* teachers!
Seventeen days, that's nothing! Teachers in Ontario used to get 20 paid sick days per year. Unused days would automatically roll over to the next year. They averaged 9 days off so the average teacher banked 11 days per year. When they retired/left they could cash in up to 200 of those days. Anything over that was given as time off with pay.
In 2012 the government rolled it back to 11 days with pay and no roll over. Guess what? Teachers now average 11.5 sick/mental health days off per year. Not to mention all the extra prep time and personal development days they get now.
Also they get 190 days at 90% of their full pay. Their pension is over 70% of their highest grossing five years, or it was last I heard.
Teachers are a sore subject here. Their retirement plan more or less bankrupted the state. I just read recently that the public pension deficit is over $26 billion in Oregon. They keep passing new taxes every year to combat it. The newest is a gross receipts tax on any company that sells over $1 million in the state pays .57% of their gross sales. Think about the margins restaurants and grocery stores run on, .57% of their gross is a huge deal. They passed it under the guise of, "it's for the children." But really it is, "we royally f'd up the public pension retirement plan and you guys need to bail us out."

Quote:
Originally Posted by spike021 View Post
For one thing, that's super odd that Oregon is going to be invasive like that and try to standardize it.

But, I think part of it is a maturity and responsibility problem on the part of workers. Like someone said (maybe @Tcoat), nobody should be taking multiple days off in the first X months of working somewhere (unless there's a legitimately valid reason to).

And mental days off, again, shouldn't just be random days you take off because you don't feel like working. They should only be part of the amount of time you already get off, if you have that time available.

But also, those workers trying to take that time off should also try to make sure that they aren't doing it during a high-pressure time where it would adversely affect coworkers and the actual work itself.
These aren't new employees. A lot of it comes down to some department managers not working their departments hours. Resentment builds, and it festers from their with the hourly employees. I think it will improve, but it is going to take time. 3 years ago it wasn't a problem.
Old 12-18-2019, 03:33 PM   #64238
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by spike021 View Post

Our previous Provincial government gave everybody 10 "emergency" leave days a year with 2 of them being paid. The cost to the employers was staggering. The new government came in and canned all that and rolled it back to 8 with none paid.

The impact of line workers not showing up is far more than anybody would realize. We either have to pay somebody to stay and cover them at time and a half or not make the product. Since we do not have a surplus of people on each shift even one short (out of 80) can be a problem. We average 3 missing per shift!
Dadhawk (12-18-2019), soundman98 (12-18-2019), spike021 (12-18-2019)
Old 12-18-2019, 03:44 PM   #64239
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,907 Times in 11,362 Posts
Mentioned: 181 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Yeah, that is my take on it. This is one of the reasons that department manager got fired. That shit never flew with me. The company prez really needs to put his foot down on it, but we find it is more of an attitude with a lot of our younger workers..
Maybe I read you wrong, but I read it as the guy taking off 17 unpaid days, not 17 PTO days that have been allocated to him.

If he had the days to take, not much I could do about it at least where I work. If you call out for a day, and you have available PTO, you can use it. No explanation necessary. In fact, I'd rather not have one. The women that work for me have a history of oversharing when it comes to PTO days.

If you don't have PTO available then it is an issue because you know you don't have PTO. I need to know why and I need proof if it is chronic (and I mean more than once a year).

Where I work now, they combine it all together (Vacation/Holiday/Sick) so you as an individual have to manage it. It's very generous (you start with 5 weeks and can go up to 7 weeks) with one year of accrual rollover so it's not exactly difficult. We also have extended leave for documented illnesses over 5 business days so you don't eat up all your vacation with one two week bout of the flu. (I work for a hospital system so you don't come to work sick).

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
The Following User Says Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
spike021 (12-18-2019)
Old 12-18-2019, 04:04 PM   #64240
Clutch Dog

Drives: 2017 BRZ PP , 2005 Saab 97X
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
Where I work now, they combine it all together (Vacation/Holiday/Sick) so you as an individual have to manage it. It's very generous (you start with 5 weeks and can go up to 7 weeks) with one year of accrual rollover so it's not exactly difficult. We also have extended leave for documented illnesses over 5 business days so you don't eat up all your vacation with one two week bout of the flu. (I work for a hospital system so you don't come to work sick).
5 weeks!? hire me daddy
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Clutch Dog For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (12-18-2019), spike021 (12-18-2019)
Old 12-18-2019, 04:09 PM   #64241
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,907 Times in 11,362 Posts
Mentioned: 181 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
5 weeks!? hire me daddy
If you can do end user device support (workstations, printers, scanners, etc) and are willing to live near Atlanta, IM me. I have two openings.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Old 12-18-2019, 04:30 PM   #64242
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,253 Times in 7,346 Posts
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Maybe I read you wrong, but I read it as the guy taking off 17 unpaid days, not 17 PTO days that have been allocated to him.

No you got it right. I am talking 17 unexcused unscheduled days. Sometimes they will request we apply PTO to that day.

Who is actually sick that much ? I work more unpaid overtime then that a year. And I guarantee I have worked far more hungover then they have been sick and stayed home.
Dadhawk (12-18-2019), spike021 (12-18-2019)
Old 12-18-2019, 04:32 PM   #64243
ScoobsMcGee
Junior Senior with Cheese

Drives: 15 BRZ
Thanked 7,013 Times in 2,337 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
The physicist, the glass is always full,, of something
As are several engineers.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ScoobsMcGee For This Useful Post:
Clutch Dog (12-18-2019), spike021 (12-18-2019), Spuds (12-18-2019), Tcoat (12-18-2019)
Old 12-18-2019, 04:32 PM   #64244
Tcoat

Quote:
If you can do end user device support (workstations, printers, scanners, etc) and are willing to live near Atlanta, IM me. I have two openings.
I can unplug and plug back in. Atlanta area looks real good today. When do I start?
Old 12-18-2019, 04:36 PM   #64245
Clutch Dog

Drives: 2017 BRZ PP , 2005 Saab 97X
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
actually yes. i worked both hardware and software and user interfacing for the navy.
now a days all i do is computering, corespondensing and browsing FT86 club..
The Following User Says Thank You to Clutch Dog For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (12-18-2019)
Old 12-18-2019, 04:59 PM   #64246
wolffbite
Just the tip

Drives: 2017 DGM BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
If you have to write up 13 employees every year for attendance... why are they still working there? Are there no consequences to being written up? Like dadhawk said, sounds like a management issue.

Being young and entitled is only a problem if they are allowed to get away the behavior.
The Following User Says Thank You to wolffbite For This Useful Post:
Clutch Dog (12-18-2019)
Closed Thread

Tags
aching balls, ass or gtfo, germanystrikesback, guff approved, human resources, i don't wanna go to prom, i lurk, i participated, i read this thread, i'm so gay, ichi has crabs, ichi is in denial, imanage can't manage, in god we thrust, me worry?, member berries, never forget, no politics, nothing for you!!!, nsfp, omg i can't catch up! :(, poo on my chest, post #696 review on ichi, sapphireho sucks!, specialk watches you post, special_k is a lurker, tcoat is as tcoat does, tcoat is dead, tcoat is jesus, tcoat is risen, tcoat returns, tcoat rules, tig ol bitties, tits or gtfo, trackmyfarts, tylerlieberman is a cuck, wubba lubba dub dubs!!!, y u do dis