follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 10-31-2018, 04:33 PM   #1
EXCellR8
FR-S Driver (MT)

Drives: 2013 Whiteout FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Shark Fin Radio Antenna on 2013 FR-S

I've wanted to replace my factory antenna with a sportier fin, like the newer models have, but all of the aftermarket kits seem to use some kind of adhesive 3M tape. Is that how the factory ones are installed too or is there a better way to mount it? I'd rather not stick anything to the paint if possible...

I haven't actually looked at the darn thing in person so apologies if I'm overlooking something simple.

Thanks in advance for any info.
Old 10-31-2018, 04:57 PM   #2
driggity

Drives: Silver Coupe with a Boxer
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
No tape on the factory Shark fin.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76922
driggity is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to driggity For This Useful Post:
Bonburner (10-31-2018)
Old 10-31-2018, 07:58 PM   #3
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,776 Times in 16,409 Posts
Mentioned: 707 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by EXCellR8 View Post
I've wanted to replace my factory antenna with a sportier fin, like the newer models have, but all of the aftermarket kits seem to use some kind of adhesive 3M tape. Is that how the factory ones are installed too or is there a better way to mount it? I'd rather not stick anything to the paint if possible...

I haven't actually looked at the darn thing in person so apologies if I'm overlooking something simple.

Thanks in advance for any info.
I'm ah feared that you are on the verge of overthinking this project -

About 5 years ago, I installed (placed) one of those on my car and it has worked just fine and hasn't slid off.

It wasn't a difficult project, or I wouldn't have done it.

That's all I remember about it - because it was 5 years ago (still in my short term memory range).

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 08:13 PM   #4
EXCellR8
FR-S Driver (MT)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by driggity View Post

the color of my car isn't listed...

I don't absolutely have to have one I just like the look of the fin a bit better
Old 11-01-2018, 07:41 AM   #5
Firecruiser

Drives: 2014 brz
Quote:
Originally Posted by EXCellR8 View Post
the color of my car isn't listed...

I don't absolutely have to have one I just like the look of the fin a bit better
The factory shark fins were only made from 2015 and up. Whiteout was no longer produced and was replaced with halo.

http://www.toyotareference.com/scionfrs

If you want an oem sharkfin to match your car you will have to buy one and have it painted so i would suggest searching for one off a totaled car or a used one that someone is selling since the color doesn't matter. Another option is to wrap one with a black vinyl. Might even do the roof as well while you are at it then the sharkfin will match with the roof. Black and white seems to be a go to color pairing on the whiteout/halo cars.
Firecruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 08:35 AM   #6
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2494 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firecruiser View Post
The factory shark fins were only made from 2015 and up. Whiteout was no longer produced and was replaced with halo.

If you want an oem sharkfin to match your car you will have to buy one and have it painted so i would suggest searching for one off a totaled car or a used one that someone is selling since the color doesn't matter. Another option is to wrap one with a black vinyl. Might even do the roof as well while you are at it then the sharkfin will match with the roof. Black and white seems to be a go to color pairing on the whiteout/halo cars.
Old 11-01-2018, 10:22 AM   #7
EXCellR8
FR-S Driver (MT)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firecruiser View Post

Ok then yea, because if the whiteout isn't an exact match then it's not worth the hassle. I'll see if I can find one and have it painted to match, as I don't like the idea of having to tape something to the roof. I realize it would probably be fine but if I can avoid it, I will.

Thanks for the info good sirs.

Tags
antenna, fin, fr-s, scion, shark