follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS]

Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS] For all off-topic discussion topics.

User Tag List
go_a_way1

Old 12-30-2015, 01:25 PM   #113
M-17
Ninja Cat Mod

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 6,254 Times in 2,673 Posts
Mentioned: 149 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calais View Post
saw the movie a second time

Yoda speaks right at the beginning what he says is roughly from episode V "a powerfull ally it is...it surrounds us..... binds us...."

and Obi Wan speaks at the end, i know what he says exactly "REY.... you have taken your first steps.."
It does sound a lot like Obi Wan, but I'm not completely sold on it yet. It would make sense since he did have the same lightsaber.

Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
Assigned seating is a magical thing.

Along with big cushy recliners, I love my local theater, I think they're gearing up to compete with the Alamo draft houses now...
Same here. We got recliners with tables and waiters. Some other places have capain chairs with hand held remotes too. Such laziness is amazing to see this day, but a huge improvement of the crowded theaters.
Can't say I opted for that casue I wanted to see the early release showings so at least I was with other fans with common courtesy while watching the movie.

Education is Important, but Race Cars are more Importanter
M-17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 01:32 PM   #114
jawn

Drives: 2015 CWP BRZ Limited
Thanked 3,946 Times in 1,757 Posts
Mentioned: 105 Post(s)
Tagged: 7 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by M-17 View Post
It does sound a lot like Obi Wan, but I'm not completely sold on it yet. It would make sense since he did have the same lightsaber.
JJ confirmed it was a mix of Alec Guinness and Ewan McGregor for that line, so I'm inclined to believe it is Obi-Wan Ben Larry Kenobi.
jawn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jawn For This Useful Post:
M-17 (12-30-2015)
Old 12-30-2015, 01:41 PM   #115
MisterSheep
Killed Scion

Drives: 2013 FR-S Whiteout
Thanked 7,307 Times in 4,485 Posts
Mentioned: 334 Post(s)
Tagged: 185 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
Assigned seating is a magical thing.

Along with big cushy recliners, I love my local theater, I think they're gearing up to compete with the Alamo draft houses now...
Wait.....

Bay area.....

Alamo....

Which movie theatre did you go to? I have a sneaky suspition...
Originally Posted by KR-S 86 View Post
What are you talking about? You just killed one of the worst brands in history according to enthusiasts. People will be worshipping you like sheep.
MisterSheep is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MisterSheep For This Useful Post:
Packofcrows (12-30-2015)
Old 12-30-2015, 01:42 PM   #116
MisterSheep
Killed Scion

Drives: 2013 FR-S Whiteout
Thanked 7,307 Times in 4,485 Posts
Mentioned: 334 Post(s)
Tagged: 185 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packofcrows View Post
meh i read its one of the best. I'm just not that big of a fan to spend $10 in a 3hr line to go see it. I've already spoiled it for myself anyway.

What I am excited for is Warcraft!~ Ill go watch it like 2nd or 3rd week it's in theaters though. I hate noisy crowds.
I am also excited about this movie. They have been talking about making this movie for years now and it's finally has a release date.
Originally Posted by KR-S 86 View Post
What are you talking about? You just killed one of the worst brands in history according to enthusiasts. People will be worshipping you like sheep.
MisterSheep is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MisterSheep For This Useful Post:
Packofcrows (12-30-2015)
Old 12-30-2015, 02:26 PM   #117
mav1178

Drives: 2005 Toyota Camry
Thanked 6,092 Times in 3,029 Posts
Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Arclight has had assigned seating + restaurant + bar for years...
mav1178 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 02:31 PM   #118
jawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by mav1178 View Post
Arclight has had assigned seating + restaurant + bar for years...
Yeah. Even the AMC closest to me has assigned seating now. It's the future. I will not be herded like cattle.
02.ACCORD.DUDE (01-01-2016)
Old 12-30-2015, 02:32 PM   #119
mav1178

Drives: 2005 Toyota Camry
Thanked 6,092 Times in 3,029 Posts
Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jawn View Post
Yeah. Even the AMC closest to me has assigned seating now. It's the future. I will not be herded like cattle.
Of note: in Asia, assigned seating was the norm for decades.
mav1178 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 08:17 PM   #120
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,470 Times in 4,993 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterSheep View Post
Wait.....

Bay area.....

Alamo....

Which movie theatre did you go to? I have a sneaky suspition...
Century in Mountain View, haven't been up to the Alamo we got in SF yet, maybe Hateful 8 might be a good pairing for that.

Mostly excited that they kick you out if you talk, I hate hearing people make noise during a movie.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 09:43 PM   #121
weederr33
Airborne at your service

Drives: '17 BRZ Series.Yellow
Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,921 Posts
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Finally saw it. IMHO, Leia/ Carrie Fisher, aged just right for the film.

MS, CSCS, TSAC-F, CPT
weederr33 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to weederr33 For This Useful Post:
MisterSheep (12-31-2015)
Old 01-01-2016, 04:32 AM   #122
EAGLE5
Dismember

Drives: 2013 Red Scion FR-S
Thanked 3,999 Times in 2,155 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
The film is a huge disappointment. I had low expectations for JJA. He made something even worse. Episodes 1-3 were flawed films, with some awful acting and a certain bad character, but they were greater than the sum of their parts. Those earlier stories themselves were great. There was subtly. There was pain. It all fit together like Oedipus Rex.

The plot of Episode 7 is just lame. "Let's go find Luke! Oh, we can't escape the force!" Despite better acting and better special effects, the film is less than the sum of its parts. The coincidences were too obvious. The characters were along for the ride and had no impact on how things turned out. It was all the Force.

And build another Death Star? Really? Is that the best you can do? Did the imagination fairy die in your anus, JJ? Killing countless billions of people on multiple planets and what happens? We cheer that we blew up the third Death Star. More importantly, I've seen the same thing happen twice before.

Oh, and the Darth Vader wannabe? Take all the character mistakes of a young Anakin and then double down on the bets. Anakin was whiny. Let's make the new kid whinier. Let's have him whine even when he's kicking ass. Let's also have him whine because of grandpa and daddy issues that aren't actually made clear, and let's make sure that the father in question is incredibly good, selfless, and loving to him. In other words, let's have the bad guy make no fucking sense at all.

Then let's throw in a bit of Sgt. Schultz into his personality, because everybody likes a Darth Vader that's a bit of a clown. "How did she get away?" "I know nothing!" "How did she get away AGAIN?" "I KNOW NOTHING! It's Malfoy's fault!" Basically, JJA watched Robot Chicken making fun of Darth Vader and said, "That's our guy!"

Why are the children in charge of the great evil organization? What's it called again? New Order? One Direction? These boy bands get so confusing. Still, it makes no sense that the children pilot the boat. We've got Sgt. Schultz, as previously mentioned, and his best buddy, Draco Malfoy. The Smurfs could have beaten them, speaking of which the big baddy, Snopes, is not only a website that debunks internet myths, he is also a spitting image of Gargamel. And really, who the hell is going to be afraid of somebody named Snoke? Was Dooku not lame and forgettable enough?

OMFG! I just figured out why Kilo Ren was so sad and whiny. See, when he was a kid, every time he felt sad, his dad would say to him, "Why the long face?" Looks like Adam in the face stretching scene from Beetlejuice. Oh! the emotional pain he must have felt!

I struggle to remember the names of the characters, too. I mean, I know all the old ones, but the new ones are totally hard to keep track of. There was Oprah Winfrey, who runs a space bar and isn't so fat. Or was that the Oracle from the Matrix? Same damn character. Ni Hao Kai-Lan, the evil, horse-faced Jedi putz. The black storm trooper (whose performance was the best part of the damned movie). Still, even as I watched the movie, I couldn't remember his name. The desert hottie who like... felt stuff, ya know. Run around, look pretty, and cry on cue. Perfect! Wedge Antille's wannabe. Fake Porkins. Draco Malfoy, ruler of Death Star 3 (This time it will work! (tm)). Gargamel, the Great and Mighty, who uses a very large holographic projection. Small light sabre compared to the rest of his species?

So fuck this film and fuck Disney. Fuck Star Wars. It's not that I care about my childhood memories so much. Well, yeah, it's that. More importantly, it's that I used to be uncool for loving things like Star Wars. It was lame to play video games. Nobody but my friends were into the geeky stuff I loved so. As a result, the people who made the geeky stuff made it truly geeky. The rules of AD&D were overly complex.

Now, geek culture has won, but in the process, it has become overly commercialized and lose everything I loved about it. Star Wars 7, in business terms, makes Episodes 1-3 look like a non-profit run by grannies out of a church. The march towards further commercialization just does not let up. It's too sanitized. It's too suck.

So there you have it: Star Wars Episode 7, is mediocrity. It's bleached and dyed stool samples served as caviar. I have digested the meal, and I am upset.

Last edited by Guff; 01-03-2016 at 03:29 PM.
EAGLE5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to EAGLE5 For This Useful Post:
babydriver (01-02-2016), Dimman (01-01-2016), GeorgeJFrick (01-03-2016)
Old 01-01-2016, 02:24 PM   #123
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,469 Times in 18,894 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
I was SMH throughout. It was such a blatant rehash of episode IV I think I laughed out loud a couple times. Still, we bought the tickets. We ate the popcorn. Meh, the grandkids loved it & I loved seeing my grandkids love it.

Not even mad, bro.
Old 01-01-2016, 03:13 PM   #124
cdrazic93
Junior

Drives: a car
Thanked 2,512 Times in 1,502 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
I was SMH throughout. It was such a blatant rehash of episode IV I think I laughed out loud a couple times. Still, we bought the tickets. We ate the popcorn. Meh, the grandkids loved it & I loved seeing my grandkids love it.

Not even mad, bro.
Dont Expect it to bring about anything new really. Its almost pointed at a retro throw back thursday movie. Paying homage to where its due, gets some laughs in and is still actiony. Dont be such a debby downer ultra
"Ah! What music! They could have never imagined, those pioneers who invented the automobile, that it would posses us like this, our imaginations, our dreams. Men love women, but even more than that, men love CARS!"-Lord Hesketh
cdrazic93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 03:38 PM   #125
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,469 Times in 18,894 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrazic93 View Post
Dont Expect it to bring about anything new really. Its almost pointed at a retro throw back thursday movie. Paying homage to where its due, gets some laughs in and is still actiony. Dont be such a debby downer ultra
Hey, I went out to see it twice. First time was a freebie but I was excited to take the kids on Christmas day.

I figured out where to set my expectations as soon as Rey kick-started her speeder.
Old 01-01-2016, 04:05 PM   #126
jawn

2/10 - No Oscar Isaac dance routine.
Ultramaroon (01-01-2016)