follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 04-01-2023, 11:20 AM   #15
Capt Spaulding
Persona Non Grata

Drives: '15 BRZ (WRB)
Thanked 2,780 Times in 1,200 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RToyo86 View Post
That company is local and I've eyeballed buying it for a year now.
My only quibble is that to make the connection to the front pipe they simply flare the end of the mid pipe. I was a little concerned at first, but it’s held up fine so far.

For me, the sound is just right.
RToyo86 (04-01-2023)
Old 04-05-2023, 09:47 PM   #16
Swolzee

Drives: Honda Insight
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Well, I discovered I had an exhaust leak which has me questioning life itself at the moment. Along with if this was something that happened slowly making me think the CB was louder than I thought.

I wanted to try out the full factory exhaust from the OP back. One sheered off intermediate bolt and replacement doughnut later it's on and wow this thing is quiet. My Honda Insight rivals it for db's. I thought the 421 header and larger diameter OP might give it a little something extra but little if any.

As a poster said already I believe an axle back is going to be the direction I need to go. I have my eyes set on a Nameless with 5" mufflers. Maybe I can find a used set.
Swolzee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Swolzee For This Useful Post:
Clipdat (04-06-2023)
Old 04-06-2023, 01:24 AM   #17
Clipdat
Proud of BOXER

Drives: Subaru Boxer
Thanked 6,845 Times in 3,675 Posts
Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
I just had the Nameless axleback with 5" mufflers on my car with all of the rest of the exhaust components completely stock, and it was VERY loud. Lots of boomy resonance and quite a roar. Literally sounded like a racecar.

I don't think that's the direction you want to go in, you probably wouldn't like it if you're looking for something quiet. Just a heads up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz
I'm old and lazy
Clipdat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2023, 08:50 AM   #18
Swolzee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipdat View Post
I just had the Nameless axleback with 5" mufflers on my car with all of the rest of the exhaust components completely stock, and it was VERY loud. Lots of boomy resonance and quite a roar. Literally sounded like a racecar.

I don't think that's the direction you want to go in, you probably wouldn't like it if you're looking for something quiet. Just a heads up.
I'm definitely not looking for something quiet I'm just looking for something that's not as loud. I'm pretty sure if I were to keep the Perrin CB and just add a resonator to the factory FP to drop it down 6-8 db I'd be happy with that.

My assumption is if piping diameter is half as impactful as most everyone agrees that it is the combination should put me right where I want to be. Or at least that's the hope. There's a line of thought where I'm considering putting the CB back on just so I can fully grasp the difference without the exhaust leak since I don't know when it developed.
Old 04-06-2023, 11:40 AM   #19
RToyo86

Drives: 17 Asphalt 86
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,132 Posts
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
A good exhaust shop that can weld a vibrant ultra quiet to the end of your FP would probably do the trick for you.

Beyond that briefcase style muffled exhaust would probably get you what you are after. A buddy runs a Perrin 3" with the same uel I used to run and it's on the louder side from other "full" muffler style CBs I ran with the same header. His setup had absolutely zero drone though and I'd honestly trade a little extra volume over the drone issues I ran into with various quieter AB/CB that droned with UEL and EL.

The fujistubo AB I ran with the JDL header was very OEM+. In cabin you mostly get a little added basetone in cabin and zero rasp.
RToyo86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2023, 03:59 PM   #20
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,177 Times in 6,835 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Have you considered the CSG Touring86? It's designed for big flow with low noise.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
RToyo86 (04-06-2023)
Old 04-06-2023, 04:26 PM   #21
RustyS14

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swolzee View Post
I wanted to try out the full factory exhaust from the OP back. One sheered off intermediate bolt and replacement doughnut later it's on and wow this thing is quiet. My Honda Insight rivals it for db's. I thought the 421 header and larger diameter OP might give it a little something extra but little if any.
I'm currently running a catless OFT header/overpipe with full factory exhaust as well and can vouch that it is damn near silent. I personally love it since it keeps my car under the radar but if you're looking for a bit of rumble it definitely isn't the way to go.
RustyS14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2023, 05:06 PM   #22
Swolzee

I really don't want a "quiet" exhaust.

On a 10 scale this is like a 8 with the CB on, factory exhaust from the OP back is a 1. I was being completely genuine when I said it was similar to my Insight. The resonance is the harshest part of the Perrin setup, the NVH all around is high but specifically the resonance. It's completely eliminated with the factory setup. I'm sure not having the spare tire or back seats increases res to a large degree in a vacuum, but as I said it's non-existent when the factory OP back exhaust was added.

It's so quiet I don't have a good feel for rev matching when heel/toeing.

To address quiet vs loud using the same scale. If factory OP-back is a 1 and the Perrin is an 8 I'm looking for like a 5. Not a 2 or a 3, but just a few notches down. If the interior shell was treated with NVH reducing mastic and I had STI exhaust cushions to eliminate res I could live with the db level. But the combination is too much.
Old 04-07-2023, 09:36 AM   #23
Swolzee

I think I have the fix. Or at least a good idea on paper.

Leaving the post OP factory piping in place I'm going to cut out the 90° bend in the intermediate pipe prior to the muffler and weld in a straight section with a 2.5"-3" v-band reducer inline that I'll attach to the Perrin muffler.

I imagine this will have a higher chance of success for the desired effect based on the feedback regarding piping diameter being the key factor. As opposed to chopping in a resonator into the factory FP and keeping the CB piping, or taking a $600-900 shot in the dark with an axel back. Cost wise it'll be ≤ the resonator idea (sub $100).

I still plan to do some before and after recordings for reference.
JBezugs (04-07-2023)
Old 04-21-2023, 09:23 AM   #24
JBezugs
Good Job Subaru!

Drives: Green '17 BRZ Sport-Tech MT
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RToyo86 View Post
A good exhaust shop that can weld a vibrant ultra quiet to the end of your FP would probably do the trick for you.

Beyond that briefcase style muffled exhaust would probably get you what you are after. A buddy runs a Perrin 3" with the same uel I used to run and it's on the louder side from other "full" muffler style CBs I ran with the same header. His setup had absolutely zero drone though and I'd honestly trade a little extra volume over the drone issues I ran into with various quieter AB/CB that droned with UEL and EL.

The fujistubo AB I ran with the JDL header was very OEM+. In cabin you mostly get a little added basetone in cabin and zero rasp.
The JDL 4-2-1 header definitely throws a wrench into exhaust selection. I feel like I have to be so much more careful to find something that won't drone unbearably. Definitely don't want to make the wrong choice.

Do you still have that Fujitsubo AB? I was looking at grabbing one to swap the OEM muffler out with (has to be the 2017+ one to fit my midpipe), but considering the Fujitsubo AB is more expensive than the Yonaka catback full stop, and now a 3 month wait for a new one, I'm also considering going the Yonaka route instead since it seems to be very similar volume-wise. They are relatively local to me as well!

There is also the Greddy SP Elite AB, but it looks like that is for 2013-2016 cars only, and seems to be discontinued now unless I'm mistaken.

Whatever I chose, going back to my first point I'd hate for it to be a drony mess, especially after enjoying the drone free highway driving experience with the OEM exhaust. But on the flipside of that, driving around town, the OEM exhaust is on the quiet side. I can't win lol! Just a tiny bit of extra volume and tone without the gnarly drone of my old R400 is all I need.

Edit: JDL UEL with the Yonaka for reference

Last edited by JBezugs; 04-21-2023 at 03:02 PM.
JBezugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2023, 09:28 AM   #25
RToyo86

Drives: 17 Asphalt 86
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,132 Posts
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBezugs View Post
The JDL 4-2-1 header definitely throws a wrench into exhaust selection. I feel like I have to be so much more careful to find something that won't drone unbearably. Definitely don't want to make the wrong choice.

Do you still have that Fujitsubo AB? I was looking at grabbing one to swap the OEM muffler out with (has to be the 2017+ one to fit my midpipe), but considering the Fujitsubo AB is more expensive than the Yonaka catback full stop, and now a 3 month wait for a new one, I'm also considering going the Yonaka route instead. They are relatively local to me as well!

Whatever I chose, going back to my first point I'd hate for it to be a drony mess, especially after enjoying the drone free highway driving experience with the OEM exhaust. But on the flipside of that, driving around town, the OEM exhaust is on the quiet side. I can't win lol! Just a tiny bit of extra volume and tone without the gnarly drone of my old R400 is all I need.
I sold the fujistubo to a friend and went back to stock CB. Windows down I started slowly getting a headache driving the car more than 20 minutes. I Let somebody else drive it and they didn't have that problem so it's probably mostly just me.

I've eyeballed the yonaka as well, they're actually local to me. If you go yonaka I'll be looking forward to your thoughts.
RToyo86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2023, 12:56 PM   #26
jflogerzi

Drives: 2013 Series 10 6MT FR-S
Thanked 2,013 Times in 1,457 Posts
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipdat View Post

Yes this 100%
2013 Series 10 FRS #553
RCE T2's, SPC LCAs -4/2.6 camber
JDL 4-2-1 EL, FP and OP, Tuned by Zach@CSG on e85
RR Wilwood Front/Rear Sport BBK, Motul 600 Fluid
ARC-8 17x9 SX2 GTs 245s/Koing 17x8 v730's 225's
jflogerzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2023, 12:58 PM   #27
jflogerzi

Drives: 2013 Series 10 6MT FR-S
Thanked 2,013 Times in 1,457 Posts
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBezugs View Post

Do you still have that Fujitsubo AB? I was looking at grabbing one to swap the OEM muffler out with (has to be the 2017+ one to fit my midpipe), but considering the Fujitsubo AB is more expensive than the Yonaka catback full stop, and now a 3 month wait for a new one, I'm also considering going the Yonaka route instead. They are relatively local to me as well!

There is also the Greddy SP Elite AB, but it looks like that is for 2013-2016 cars only, and seems to be discontinued now unless I'm mistaken.

Fujtsubo will sound great with the 4-2-1 JDL. Zero Drone. Just do it!
2013 Series 10 FRS #553
RCE T2's, SPC LCAs -4/2.6 camber
JDL 4-2-1 EL, FP and OP, Tuned by Zach@CSG on e85
RR Wilwood Front/Rear Sport BBK, Motul 600 Fluid
ARC-8 17x9 SX2 GTs 245s/Koing 17x8 v730's 225's
jflogerzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2023, 09:59 PM   #28
Swolzee

Update:
Picking up where I left off. JDL 4-2-1 EL, 2.5" OP, factory exhaust from that point back.

Went to the exhaust shop had them cut out the 90° bend going into the OEM muffler and replace it with a small section of pipe bent and welded to a 2.5-3" v-band reducer. Fantastic craftsmanship and welding on their part function is perfect and even looks good. The Perrin 3" CB muffler replaced the OEM.

As I previously stated the DB with the full Perrin 3" CB was an 8 on a 10 scale, the OP back factory exhaust was a 1, replacing the muffler to the Perrin got it to a 2.5 but with no vibrating resonance.
After some deliberating I decided to bore match my cat to the ID of the FP. I did and now the cat has been drilled to match. The result was remarkable. It's at about a 4 now still no resonance effect. Not exactly the 5 I was hoping for but after a good long drive today I may have discovered I wanted a 4 all along. My only wish is that it was stronger sounding at WOT. In all other driving conditions I couldn't ask for more or be more pleased.

I can't seem to find my shotgun mic but I'll just do a cell vid tomorrow if it hasn't appeared by then.
jflogerzi (04-21-2023)