follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 11-27-2020, 09:51 AM   #15
Goingnowherefast

Drives: AP2 S2000, 91 Miata 1.8L Rotrex 5MT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaDonJsuan View Post
If I'm adding camber for the first time to my car should I add it to just the front wheels or do all four wheels off the bat? How much camber in front and rear would you suggest for a first-timer? (I want camber strictly for track performance, not for any aesthetics)
Couple of thoughts on this.

1. The true answer here is that every car is different. The real way to find what camber you should have is done by pyrometer readings and well the lap timer results. Here's a great "how-to" on using a pyrometer. It may be a little over the head of a beginner going to the track, but it's a good skill to have for later. (https://supermiata.com/using-a-tire-...49-racing.aspx)

2. That being said, I can pretty confidently say that even a new driver will want more camber than stock. When I got the car, I baselined it with zero mods and left halfway through the day because the understeer was that bad. I'd recommend at the least, grabbing a set of camber bolts and maxing them out. In my case, doing this did not change my toe a noticeable amount so there was no alignment needed. I would do this after your first track day at the very least.

3. Otherwise, if you are looking for a good set point I would aim for -3 front, -2.5 rear as a starting point. From there use a pyrometer to dial it in. Likely it will need more camber than that. In most cases, lightweight underpowered cars like a ton of camber. I'm around -4 degrees and I could even go further based on my pyrometer readings. I think 949 racing runs more than that on their project car "Blub" too.