follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 06-08-2012, 01:38 AM   #1
rikdrt1
Hypnotic FRS Member

Drives: FR-S [Raven]
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Adding a sub enclosure yet ?

has anyone figured out how to add a small 8" sub on this ?

i am planning to take it to Al&Eds tomorrow and see what they say - local stereo place.

i found a nice small 8" sub enclosure that would look nice in the trunk - what do you think ?

ill let you guys know what they say, but i want to add a bit more punch to the factorry setup -- other than that i think the stereo/sound is a bit above avg....

http://www.alpine-usa.com/product/view/sbr-s83v

MotegiRacing - TRD Racing -OemAudio++- Michellin Pilot SuperSports- Greddy -FiveAxis - SparksScion - BlueBat Overlays -Pioneer -SWIFT Engineering Sports- Evasive Motorsports-
SoCAL
rikdrt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rikdrt1 For This Useful Post:
TPO (06-08-2012)
Old 06-08-2012, 01:39 AM   #2
eriktherod

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Firestorm Red MT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Not sure if you have the stock radio or the Bespoke system but I feel like the volume is very.. granular. I have the latter and I mean that setting it from 20 to 30 isn't very different, almost like 0 is mute and 100 is max. I typically have it at 40-50 and I feel like even then it's not close to 'max volume' for me. I guess my amp and speakers spoiled me there. Mine is in FR-S mode too, not tC.. so is this still normal? It sounds good, just not 'loud'.
Old 06-08-2012, 01:43 AM   #3
Shizuma

Drives: 2015 Dodge Challenger SXT
What I'm wondering is if there's anyway of putting my two 12" subs in the back without eating up the whole trunk if/when I end up getting an FR-S.
Shizuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 01:48 AM   #4
TPO

Drives: Scion fr-s,Lexus is250,4-runner
Garage
Factory add-on accessory. Plus it is all plug and play, and is backed by Toyota-scion warranty

http://toyotapartsoutlet.com/Scripts...idproduct=-240
TPO is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TPO For This Useful Post:
Fly Guy (06-08-2012), NeedsmoreCowbell (06-08-2012)
Old 06-08-2012, 02:49 AM   #5
Shizuma

Drives: 2015 Dodge Challenger SXT
Sadly factory add-ons, especially when talking about stereo equipment, are almost always overpriced junk components, for that same price you could get significantly higher quality aftermarket parts.
Shizuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 03:29 AM   #6
Moto-P

Drives: Many types of cars in R&D.
Thanked 3,058 Times in 568 Posts
Mentioned: 101 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Actually the OEMAUDIO is a 3rd party company headed by a very talented acoustic engineer.

ANd like Five Axis, they are aftermarket but, strategically and conveniently, sold through Scion Dealerships by agreement of dealerships, but not a part of Toyota Motor Corp.

I've had a chance to hear this unit, and it's pretty impressive.
The system consists of DSP/Amp unit that is tuned to the FRS, and replaces the original tweeter with high grade polycarbonate tweeters, and adds a long throw woofer with custom tuned enclosure in the rear, which is removable for situations where weight is a concern for track or racing enthusiasts.
At $1100, its a decent kit in my opinion.

But yes, like all things good in audio, things don't come for peanuts. I'll be taking delivery of it soon, and I'll report on this first hand when I do.

Stay Tuned.

OEM AUDIO FRS Subwoofer upgrade with DSP amp and tweeters by Moto@Club4AG, on Flickr

OEM AUDIO FRS Subwoofer upgrade with DSP amp and tweeters by Moto@Club4AG, on Flickr
Consulting Member at Cusco, OEM+, RS-R.
www.club4ag.com
Moto-P is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Moto-P For This Useful Post:
Fly Guy (06-08-2012), M&M_Hwy9 (06-08-2012), TPO (06-08-2012)
Old 06-08-2012, 11:39 AM   #7
TPO

Drives: Scion fr-s,Lexus is250,4-runner
Garage
Thanks for the review Moto. We will offer the kit for $875 shipped
TPO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 12:34 PM   #8
michaelahess

Drives: '13 GBS BRZ Lim, 2006 Dodge RAM MC
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
I used to be a car audio installer/dealer. MTX, Kicker, JBL, Harmon, Oz Audio, Interfire, etc, etc.

I can only scoff at the prices people are willing to pay for this crap, it's nearly the most over priced market out there. Fortunately I still have friends that are dealers and sell me at cost.

I loved undercutting the local stores like best buy by half off and still made a killer profit! Radio shack hated me because of my low pricing on RCA's and speaker wire.

I'm still not sure what I'll do once I get my BRZ, but the whole package (sans HU) will be less that $875!
michaelahess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 07:56 PM   #9
rikdrt1
Hypnotic FRS Member

Drives: FR-S [Raven]
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Thanks MotoP. Yea, i was always buying Alpine, BostonAcoustics on all my other cars but being a very good Alpine customer for years, they TOO have AMPs now that do custom tuning based on the car - so i know that doing that isnt all b.s. SO, when I saw this offering i figured it would be worth a look -- and it keeps it all stock looking which i really like. we have enough people 'oogling' at the car, i dont need them distracted by a 1000dollar head unti someone will throw a brick in to get...

but Id be very interested in checking this out...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto-P View Post
Actually the OEMAUDIO is a 3rd party company headed by a very talented acoustic engineer.

ANd like Five Axis, they are aftermarket but, strategically and conveniently, sold through Scion Dealerships by agreement of dealerships, but not a part of Toyota Motor Corp.

I've had a chance to hear this unit, and it's pretty impressive.
The system consists of DSP/Amp unit that is tuned to the FRS, and replaces the original tweeter with high grade polycarbonate tweeters, and adds a long throw woofer with custom tuned enclosure in the rear, which is removable for situations where weight is a concern for track or racing enthusiasts.
At $1100, its a decent kit in my opinion.

But yes, like all things good in audio, things don't come for peanuts. I'll be taking delivery of it soon, and I'll report on this first hand when I do.

Stay Tuned.

MotegiRacing - TRD Racing -OemAudio++- Michellin Pilot SuperSports- Greddy -FiveAxis - SparksScion - BlueBat Overlays -Pioneer -SWIFT Engineering Sports- Evasive Motorsports-
SoCAL
rikdrt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 09:27 PM   #10
kmbkk
First 86 Driver Baby!

Drives: FR-S, Flex
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
There's a shop somewhat close to me that's building a custom 8" enclosure for the side of the trunk. They have a thread in the nav/infotainment forum.
kmbkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 09:28 PM   #11
kmbkk
First 86 Driver Baby!

Drives: FR-S, Flex
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Oh, but to answer your question, I plan on putting 2 8's in an enclosure in the spare tire well.
kmbkk is offline   Reply With Quote