follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]

User Tag List

Old 08-01-2012, 09:10 AM   #43
industrial
Add lightness!

Drives: 17' WRX
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CheesusCrust View Post
So whats the verdict then? Is the BRZ premium worth it over the FRS? I cannot afford the limited at this time. It will be my DD, and I also want to drift. I'm leaning towards the BRZ due to the GPS and HID, but the suspension being more understeer happy is making me question my decision.I have to put the money down for one of them tomorrow, which one should I choose?
Forget about the suspension differences. It's not like the BRZ is an understeering car. The FRS tends to oversteer more than the BRZ. Either car will feel far more identical than different when compared to other cars. How often are you going to drive the FRS and BRZ back to back to be able to even tell the difference between the two anyway? Both will be a joy to drive.

You have to decide if you want to pay extra for the little things. The BRZ is just like another trim level. I'd say it's a no brainer if you have the money, but it seems like you're tight so maybe the FRS would be a better option for you.
industrial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 04:17 PM   #44
CheesusCrust

Drives: Subaru BRZ Silver 6MT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by industrial View Post
Forget about the suspension differences. It's not like the BRZ is an understeering car. The FRS tends to oversteer more than the BRZ. Either car will feel far more identical than different when compared to other cars. How often are you going to drive the FRS and BRZ back to back to be able to even tell the difference between the two anyway? Both will be a joy to drive.

You have to decide if you want to pay extra for the little things. The BRZ is just like another trim level. I'd say it's a no brainer if you have the money, but it seems like you're tight so maybe the FRS would be a better option for you.
Thanks for the info!
I like the look of the FRS a bit more, but that doesn't matter. Mainly I want to drift all over the place. Once I turn traction control off, will it be similar to the FRS in drifting feel? The reason I am getting this car is so I can learn rear wheel drive dynamics. I feel like the BRZ is worth the 600 more its going to cost me, but the FRS would be more fun? What do you think? Also the Subaru guy says its a 5-6 month wait, compared to 2-3 for the FRS.
CheesusCrust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 09:50 PM   #45
Ryephile
Hot Dog

Drives: quicker than arghx7
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
I wasn't quite sure where to post this, but this thread seems reasonable. Some of you may remember I had a BRZ Limited on order. After it came in, I drove it once, then again. I couldn't come to grips with the car and ended up getting my deposit back.

Fast forward a few months, and a friend of mine test-drove an FR-S and came away practically drooling from excitement. Since I had only driven the BRZ and not the FR-S, I stopped by my local dealership and got the keys to a Whiteout 6MT and took it for a drive. What I found surprised me more than I expected.

Here's why:

*The fabric seats have uniform friction coefficient, versus the BRZ's combination slippery cheap leather and uber-grippy alcantara inserts. The Scion fabric looks low-rent, but feels nice, soft, and touchable.

*The suspension tuning is a revelation. Bump absorption is reasonable and the high-speed stability is good, however the big light-bulb over the head is how the cornering balance is entirely up to you. If you go into a corner too hot and simply turn-in, the car will push. Add throttle, however, and the car becomes a controllable drifter. There's never enough power to get you in real trouble, so the car feels benevolent and manageable. Very Miata-esque. I have a feeling the alignments between this FR-S and the BRZ I ordered were very different, as the minor suspension changes on an otherwise identical car can't account for the unilateral improvement in the chassis dynamics.

*No stupid NAV. Ughk, the BRZ's Nav is a joke and a waste of everyone's time, like most OEM navigation systems

*Perhaps better front end aero-stability, as the car felt noticeably more planted on the Interstate than the BRZ.

*For some reason, the more lively and chuckable suspension makes the powertrain feel less anemic. I didn't feel totally let down by the low torque level, but then again I also went into this drive knowing the car is modestly powered.

Those are the big points. The FR-S and BRZ are virtually identical, but the couple changes IMO bring the car from "not good enough" to "recommended" in my eyes. Add in the FR-S is $4k less than a frustratingly equipped BRZ Limited, and you have a better drivers car for markedly less money. It's a deal. If I was in a different situation [i.e. could only have one car], I'd buy one. I know the BRZerhood won't like my perspective, however until I drive a BRZ that either has a fixed alignment and/or suspension hardware, I can't say anything else but that the FR-S is simply more fun and likable.

Peace,
Ryan