follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides

DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides For all DIYs.

User Tag List

Old 11-13-2018, 05:36 PM   #15
gpvecchi

Drives: Toyota 86 GT Limited PP (Model G)
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
How does the mic work hidden under stock grille?
gpvecchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 11:42 PM   #16
tommewin

Drives: '15 BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanks so much for the write-up! I recently installed the same unit in my wife's '15 BRZ a few days ago, along with an OEM style backup camera. Here's a few comments for anyone looking to do the same thing:

1) I pretty much followed your guide step-by-step, except the only difference is that I used a pre-made Pioneer-specific harness from AutoHarnessHouse. Your tip to verify that the micro bypass was wired correctly was super helpful.

2) The only item I struggled with was understanding how the 6V for camera power was supplied. I kept trying to utilize the harness provided with the camera kit, which relies on the 6V that comes off the factory HU. I assumed that the AutoHarnessHouse addressed this issue, but it doesn't. I ended up taking tapping the reverse light harness the same way that you did, and ditching the harness that came with the camera.

3) I had forgotten about the step you mentioned about making sure the camera is enabled in the HU. I panicked :O

4) I also ran the Pioneer-provided microphone to the OEM location. I was going to superglue it to the factory-mount, but couldn't find any around the house. I was motivated to get the job done, so I ended up using floss to tie the mic down via the clips that held in the OEM mic. It's not perfectly centered, but it's facing the correct direction down, and easily removable.
tommewin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tommewin For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (12-06-2018)
Old 08-26-2019, 12:53 PM   #17
TheLaughingMan

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpvecchi View Post
How does the mic work hidden under stock grille?
Sorry for the super late reply. The microphone works great! Way better than the stock one ever did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommewin View Post
Thanks so much for the write-up! I recently installed the same unit in my wife's '15 BRZ a few days ago, along with an OEM style backup camera. Here's a few comments for anyone looking to do the same thing:

1) I pretty much followed your guide step-by-step, except the only difference is that I used a pre-made Pioneer-specific harness from AutoHarnessHouse. Your tip to verify that the micro bypass was wired correctly was super helpful.

2) The only item I struggled with was understanding how the 6V for camera power was supplied. I kept trying to utilize the harness provided with the camera kit, which relies on the 6V that comes off the factory HU. I assumed that the AutoHarnessHouse addressed this issue, but it doesn't. I ended up taking tapping the reverse light harness the same way that you did, and ditching the harness that came with the camera.

3) I had forgotten about the step you mentioned about making sure the camera is enabled in the HU. I panicked :O

4) I also ran the Pioneer-provided microphone to the OEM location. I was going to superglue it to the factory-mount, but couldn't find any around the house. I was motivated to get the job done, so I ended up using floss to tie the mic down via the clips that held in the OEM mic. It's not perfectly centered, but it's facing the correct direction down, and easily removable.
Glad the guide was helpful!
Old 08-26-2019, 04:33 PM   #18
gpvecchi

Drives: Toyota 86 GT Limited PP (Model G)
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Yes, I tried and it works great, just remember not to cover the side openings of the microphone, try to create a "cone" with some materials...
gpvecchi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
androidauto, avh-2330, nex, pioneer, radio