follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 04-05-2019, 01:19 PM   #1
Artxjr

Drives: 2018 Toyota GT86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
What is the recommended tune for header install?

I'm about to get some tomei UEL headers installed, and I heard that you need a tuning after it so you can get some more horsepower for it, and overall reprogram the cpu so the check engine light goes away.

I have no idea how this tuning stuff works. I do not plan to do it myself because I am not confident enough and do not want to accidentally screw with the setting. I plan to take it to a shop where they do professional tuning.

I hear the OFT and ECUTEK are the most recommended. I also saw some video where people pay they got a stage 2 tuning, but I'm not sure what to ask once I get to the shop.

I do not plan to use the E85 gas as it is not so common in my area, so I plan to just stick with the 91+ octane stuff. I also don't want that tablet thing where I can accidentally screw with the settings, but if I have to have one, then I will.

I'm just a newbie who needs advice. What should I ask for once I go in?

I have a 2018 Toyota GT86.

Thanks for helping out a rookie!
Artxjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 01:33 PM   #2
weederr33
Airborne at your service

Drives: '17 BRZ Series.Yellow
Thanked 5,569 Times in 2,921 Posts
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Both are fine. If you plan to do FI, then go ECUTek, if not, just get the OFT.

MS, CSCS, TSAC-F, CPT
weederr33 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to weederr33 For This Useful Post:
jflogerzi (05-01-2019), NARFALICIOUS (04-05-2019)
Old 04-05-2019, 01:34 PM   #3
msaikhan

Drives: frs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artxjr View Post
I'm about to get some tomei UEL headers installed, and I heard that you need a tuning after it so you can get some more horsepower for it, and overall reprogram the cpu so the check engine light goes away.

I have no idea how this tuning stuff works. I do not plan to do it myself because I am not confident enough and do not want to accidentally screw with the setting. I plan to take it to a shop where they do professional tuning.

I hear the OFT and ECUTEK are the most recommended. I also saw some video where people pay they got a stage 2 tuning, but I'm not sure what to ask once I get to the shop.

I do not plan to use the E85 gas as it is not so common in my area, so I plan to just stick with the 91+ octane stuff. I also don't want that tablet thing where I can accidentally screw with the settings, but if I have to have one, then I will.

If you want to tune it yourself, then you need some kind of tablet. Or you can go to a performance shop and get them tune it for you.

I use OFT. To be honest, if you follow the instructions and videos, it's pretty easy. There is not a lot that can get messed up since you get the tune from their website. You download stage 2+(since you have catless headers) tune from website, transfer it to the tablet then flash your car ECU.
msaikhan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to msaikhan For This Useful Post:
NARFALICIOUS (04-05-2019)
Old 04-05-2019, 01:38 PM   #4
caffeinejunky
hella stock

Drives: BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
People are gonna tell you to search as this has been covered multiple times but i'll bite.

You don't necessarily "need" the tune honestly, but is highly recommended. You will most likely get a CEL, but thats due to the fact that you will be running catless.

Now as far as tuning the ECU, I'm most likely wrong but afaik you have three options, tactrix, oft and ecutek. Ecutek will be the easiest for you since you're not really interested in messing with maps yourself. Since you said you're going through a local tuner, buy an ecutek license which is like $300 bucks on its own, tune is most likely a seperate fee from your shop of choice so talk to them about pricing. No need to buy the cable since your tuner will most likely have that in shop. I don't have experience with the other two as I went with the ecutek and a tune from CSG.

From the looks of it an OFT is like, $500 bucks shipped online (?) and with that you can flash "off the shelf" tunes which would be fine, but personally i'd rather have an ecutek where the tune is made specifically for your car.
Old 04-05-2019, 01:54 PM   #5
Artxjr

Drives: 2018 Toyota GT86
Quote:
Originally Posted by caffeinejunky View Post
People are gonna tell you to search as this has been covered multiple times but i'll bite.

You don't necessarily "need" the tune honestly, but is highly recommended. You will most likely get a CEL, but thats due to the fact that you will be running catless.

Now as far as tuning the ECU, I'm most likely wrong but afaik you have three options, tactrix, oft and ecutek. Ecutek will be the easiest for you since you're not really interested in messing with maps yourself. Since you said you're going through a local tuner, buy an ecutek license which is like $300 bucks on its own, tune is most likely a seperate fee from your shop of choice so talk to them about pricing. No need to buy the cable since your tuner will most likely have that in shop. I don't have experience with the other two as I went with the ecutek and a tune from CSG.

From the looks of it an OFT is like, $500 bucks shipped online (?) and with that you can flash "off the shelf" tunes which would be fine, but personally i'd rather have an ecutek where the tune is made specifically for your car.

So where do I buy this "ECUTEK license" ? I didn't know I had to buy something like this. Is this mandatory?
Artxjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 02:05 PM   #6
caffeinejunky
hella stock

Drives: BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
So where do I buy this "ECUTEK license" ? I didn't know I had to buy something like this. Is this mandatory?
If going through a shop, talk to your local tuner. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong though, but if buying a license through a local tuner, only they would be able to re-flash the ecu if need be, since the map will be locked to their ecutek dongle, which is why people usually recommend buying your own dongle and bringing that to the tuner.
Old 04-05-2019, 02:09 PM   #7
BirdTRD
Simply Forgotus

Drives: 2014 Supercharged SSM BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
If you plan on taking it to a shop anyway to tune it for you, make an appointment, hand them some money and they will take care of the rest, license and all.
BirdTRD is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BirdTRD For This Useful Post:
kch (04-08-2019)
Old 04-05-2019, 02:28 PM   #8
Lantanafrs2

Drives: 2013 frs red
Thanked 3,088 Times in 1,654 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
It is hard to "accidentally" screw with the settings
Lantanafrs2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 03:01 PM   #9
scion fr-s

Drives: 2017 PP BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

I have uel headers and no tune! Just not getting the gains though :/
scion fr-s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 04:14 PM   #10
NARFALICIOUS

Drives: '88 Supra 1JZ, '16 FR-S, '23 GR86
Quote:
Originally Posted by caffeinejunky View Post

If they just have a header, will there really be a big difference of one "made specifically for their car" vs an "off the shelf" tune?

I agree with others here, OFT if you are staying N/A.
OFT seems like the easiest since he can do it from home and doesn't have to go to a shop.

If you can install an app on your computer and download a file, you can install the Open Flash program and download the tunes onto the OFT. Follow the instructions.

Also OFT will be easier for going back to stock if you sell your car, You don't have to go back to your tuner, just take off your header and put a stock flash back on.

I put e85 on my car without a flex fuel kit, put an e85 tune, took a road trip from TX to CA. When I needed to fillup again, Since there was no E85 nearby. I was able to put in 91 and flash my car back to 91 and continue on my way in 10 minutes.

If I was planning to go F/I, I would probably consider EcuTek too, but I when I made the decision, I didn't see F/I in my forseeable future. That was 2 years ago and haven't gone F/I yet.

NARFALICIOUS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NARFALICIOUS For This Useful Post:
Lantanafrs2 (04-05-2019)
Old 04-06-2019, 12:16 PM   #11
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,253 Times in 7,346 Posts
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NARFALICIOUS View Post
If they just have a header, will there really be a big difference of one "made specifically for their car" vs an "off the shelf" tune?
I'd say it depends on the header and other mods. The difference between the OTS tune, and after I data logged my car and messed the tune in Rom Raider is pretty noticeable. And it's not like I am a pro who knows what they are doing, I made my changes based off a LOT of reading and screwing up and learning what not to do. I am very curious what a tune by a good shop would be like.

@Artxjr If you are in WA get ahold of Drift Office. Bob has tuned tons of twins.
NoHaveMSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 04:07 PM   #12
tyler_win_photo

Drives: 2014 Scion FRS (Asphalt)
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)

There's quite a bit of gains left on the table with a OFT vs a proper dyno tune.
Old 04-08-2019, 03:00 PM   #13
kch
Senior Misanthrope

Drives: 2015 BRZ Series.Blue CWP
Thanked 1,168 Times in 645 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quote:

Like said before, if you can make it to South Seattle/Auburn, go to Drift Office. You give them money, they put the car on the dyno, and take care of the rest.

If you can't make it there and don't mind working with a tuner remotely, you can talk to your remote tune of choice (e.g., Delicious Tuning or Xero Limit) and they will set you up with a package including ECUtek license, cable, and a baseline tune. There are instructions online for how to use ECUtek on your own; you'll just need a laptop.

Or if you plan to keep it simple, just get an OFT and flash an off-the-shelf tune. It's less expensive, but also not tailored specifically for your car.

One more note: you don't have to tune immediately after installing the header. You can safely drive on stock tune with an aftermarket header; you just won't get the additional power. Don't stress on scheduling things or having the tune ready to go right after install.
kch is offline   Reply With Quote