follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 06-15-2021, 03:04 PM   #1
VIP BRZ

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Going Flex Fuel

Hey Yall,
Back browsing the forums after an extended break in modifying my 2014 BRZ.

Been thinking recently about taking the leap to corn to produce a bit more power. Other than the bolt on exhaust and cold air intake currently installed purchasing a Flex Fuel kit, & an E-tune seems like the best “bang for my buck” as far as adding a few more horses under the hood.
A couple of questions I had for anyone with more knowledge on the subject / industry then me!

I have an Open flash tablet already, it would be nice to get a flex fuel kit that can be easy tuned using the OFT.
So, my first stop was OFT, I know they used to make a kit (and also have a sort of “off the shelf” tune for it) but it seems they are not making that kit anymore? Can anyone confirm? I know Shiv used to be a regular around here but I believe that activity has waned.
I see that Delicious tuning sells a kit labeled as an “OFT” kit, but as far as I can tell Open Flash requires you to be running the OFT kit to receive there off the shelf flex fuel tune. (That is not available) so I’d still need a custom E-tune from Open Flash that cost upwards of $300

Would it just be better to bite the bullet an go with Delicious’s EcuTek flex fuel tune?
VIP BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 04:12 PM   #2
alphasaur
friendly

Drives: 17' 86
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIP BRZ View Post
Hey Yall,

Been thinking recently about taking the leap to corn to produce a bit more power. Other than the bolt on exhaust and cold air intake currently installed purchasing a Flex Fuel kit, & an E-tune seems like the best “bang for my buck” as far as adding a few more horses under the hood.
A couple of questions I had for anyone with more knowledge on the subject / industry then me!

I have an Open flash tablet already, it would be nice to get a flex fuel kit that can be easy tuned using the OFT.
So, my first stop was OFT, I know they used to make a kit (and also have a sort of “off the shelf” tune for it) but it seems they are not making that kit anymore? Can anyone confirm? I know Shiv used to be a regular around here but I believe that activity has waned.
I see that Delicious tuning sells a kit labeled as an “OFT” kit, but as far as I can tell Open Flash requires you to be running the OFT kit to receive there off the shelf flex fuel tune. (That is not available) so I’d still need a custom E-tune from Open Flash that cost upwards of $300

Would it just be better to bite the bullet an go with Delicious’s EcuTek flex fuel tune?
I went with motoeast's flex kit including the ecutek. It was around $1200 I believe but you can recoup some cost from selling the OFT. There's certainly more support with ecutek.
Dzmitry (06-18-2021)
Old 06-15-2021, 04:19 PM   #3
SexyPirates

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I’m gonna be going with the ECUTEK from CSG when iI have enough saved up. Remote tuning from Zach seems to take a week or two to dial in.
SexyPirates is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SexyPirates For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (06-16-2021), VIP BRZ (06-15-2021)
Old 06-15-2021, 04:39 PM   #4
Purist

Drives: Subaru BRZ
You can try E85 without a kit, you don't need flex fuel if your E85 is between 60 and 90% ethanol. You could be running E85 today

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...jF-uBV8ipsxIWh

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
VIP BRZ (06-16-2021)
Old 06-15-2021, 06:42 PM   #5
Z06ZN6

Drives: 2017 Toyota 86
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I went with the DT kit and their fuel safety option on my eforce 86 and an in-house dyno tune (SOCAL local like you). The fuel safety feature already saved my engine once from a pump failure a few weeks back. DT is great to work with and even over a year after tuning, Bill still replies to my emails within a few days.
Z06ZN6 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Z06ZN6 For This Useful Post:
Cephas (06-17-2021)
Old 06-15-2021, 11:01 PM   #6
Turdinator
Señor Member

Drives: 86 GT/'74 TA22 Celica/Kangaroo
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Garage
As @Purist said, you already have the OFT so just drive till your tank is close to empty, fill up with e85, flash the tune and enjoy the extra power with no extra expense

A flex fuel kit just adds convenience as far as not having to plan what fuel you'll fill up with. It doesn't add any power over a straight e85 tune, in fact it may well have less.
The Following User Says Thank You to Turdinator For This Useful Post:
VIP BRZ (06-16-2021)
Old 06-16-2021, 12:16 AM   #7
azeo

Drives: 2014 FRS Ultramarine
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I did the OFT with e85 for awhile with no issues including on track. Just be sure to read the instructions thoroughly as you'll have to go through a learning process after each flash. The difficulty in switching back and forth is what drove me to get an actual flex fuel kit. Definitely give it a go though to be sure it's something you want.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk
azeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 02:02 AM   #8
Olson1288

Drives: 2014 DGM BRZ Turbo
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Nothing against Shiv, but many people have had some pretty terrible experiences with OpenFlash. I think he more or less gave up on the 86 platform to be honest. Ecutek is definitely the better option if you can swing it, but a bit more pricey. Also I've been running the FlexFuel kit from Delicious for 3+ years and never had an issue.
Olson1288 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 02:04 AM   #9
DAEMANO
Time Traveller

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS - Raven
Thanked 3,416 Times in 1,677 Posts
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Hey Yall,

I have a complete (never installed) Open Flash Flex Fuel kit for sale if you're interested DM me.
DAEMANO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 02:07 AM   #10
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Community or other tuners (eg. Steve99 or Wayne) help with OFT case, if you use it (or tactrix) only as flashing device, not expecting much from OFT staff of actual work above available free OFT tunes.
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to churchx For This Useful Post:
Stonehorsw (06-18-2021), VIP BRZ (06-16-2021)
Old 06-16-2021, 11:59 AM   #11
VIP BRZ

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turdinator View Post
As @Purist said, you already have the OFT so just drive till your tank is close to empty, fill up with e85, flash the tune and enjoy the extra power with no extra expense

A flex fuel kit just adds convenience as far as not having to plan what fuel you'll fill up with. It doesn't add any power over a straight e85 tune, in fact it may well have less.
This is honestly probably the best rout to go, like you all said I already have everything I need. Might as well try it out and see how I like it, no cost. Easy to switch back if I change my mind or upgrade to the flex fuel and get the custom tune.

I could even just skip the flex fuel & pay for an e-tune E85 specifically and squeeze a few more horse out of my bolt-on's ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAEMANO View Post
I have a complete (never installed) Open Flash Flex Fuel kit for sale if you're interested DM me.
I'll send you a DM, I think I would have to have a receipt proving it was purchased from an authorized OTF dealer to be eligible for the free off-the-shelf flex fuel tune from Open Flash
VIP BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 07:21 PM   #12
DAEMANO
Time Traveller

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS - Raven
Thanked 3,416 Times in 1,677 Posts
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:

I'll send you a DM, I think I would have to have a receipt proving it was purchased from an authorized OTF dealer to be eligible for the free off-the-shelf flex fuel tune from Open Flash
np, it was purchased directly from the official OpenFlash Performance website (not a dealer) so I have all the expected communications and proofs surrounding that.
DAEMANO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 03:28 AM   #13
Purist

Drives: Subaru BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olson1288 View Post
Nothing against Shiv, but many people have had some pretty terrible experiences with OpenFlash. I think he more or less gave up on the 86 platform to be honest. Ecutek is definitely the better option if you can swing it, but a bit more pricey. Also I've been running the FlexFuel kit from Delicious for 3+ years and never had an issue.
Can you provide evidence of this? People generally complain on forums about bad experiences...

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
Old 06-17-2021, 06:20 AM   #14
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
If you have oft id get the penguin tech racing flex kit for brz.

OFT compatavle flex tunes, fhe flex input signal must be via evap, no support for rear 02.

The oft flex kit have an issue with flex signal varing during cranking ive tuned a few, you can tune arround the kits issues but better to get penguin tech kit or a xero limits evap flex kit.

Can sort a flex tune for you for oft just message me
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to steve99 For This Useful Post:
mxm64 (06-23-2021), VIP BRZ (06-17-2021)

Tags
flex fuel kit