follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 08-01-2014, 01:14 PM   #1
WallsAndFoundations

Drives:
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Custom 3D lettering?

I wanna eventually debadge the front and back emblems and on the back just have "S C I O N" like on the concept car, but holy shit is it hard to find a site that sells it in the size and font I want.

I pretty much wanna mimic the size and font of this completely, but with raised lettering.. I wanna get it in red since I'm gonna be getting a carbon fiber trunk lid.

Any places that could custom fab that?
WallsAndFoundations is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WallsAndFoundations For This Useful Post:
NWFRS (08-01-2014)
Old 08-01-2014, 01:31 PM   #2
NWFRS

Drives: ‘13 FRS
Thanked 1,502 Times in 634 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Cool!

Any chance of just buying a one-piece vinyl and heat-shrinking it onto your trunk lid? It wouldn't be raised but...

Cool concept though! It's nice to see someone embracing the Scion name, rather than being ashamed of it.
NWFRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 01:33 PM   #3
WallsAndFoundations

Drives:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWFRS View Post
Cool!

Any chance of just buying a one-piece vinyl and heat-shrinking it onto your trunk lid? It wouldn't be raised but...

Cool concept though! It's nice to see someone embracing the Scion name, rather than being ashamed of it.
I've tossed the idea around but really would prefer it being raised. In my mind it would look a lot more clean and OEM. I may end up just going to a customs shop and havin em custom fab one.. I need something with 3M backing.

And well of course! Scion is a legit brand and quite honestly very much prefer the Scion name and emblems to Toyota.
Old 08-01-2014, 03:54 PM   #4
boredom.is.me
Custom User Title

Drives: Asphalt FR-S MT
Thanked 1,182 Times in 697 Posts
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Garage
I can take care of this for you.

You know you can actually go all out and have a flat (non raised) glowing lettering right.
Old 08-01-2014, 03:59 PM   #5
MrBlaze-65

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
You could get it cut from a white plexiglass and backlight it, hard part would be getting it integrated to the trunk. A direct solution would be a 3d printed/SLA quality piece but they deteriorate so it wouldn't last.
MrBlaze-65 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MrBlaze-65 For This Useful Post:
WallsAndFoundations (08-01-2014)
Old 08-01-2014, 04:08 PM   #6
WallsAndFoundations

Drives:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBlaze-65 View Post
You could get it cut from a white plexiglass and backlight it, hard part would be getting it integrated to the trunk. A direct solution would be a 3d printed/SLA quality piece but they deteriorate so it wouldn't last.
I never thought of getting it backlit.... maybe wired right into the license plate wiring so that when the drls or night lights are on then the illumination comes on too? That would be completely sick... what's white plexiglass though? Should I take that literally?
Old 08-01-2014, 04:27 PM   #7
MrBlaze-65

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
it's just plexiglass colored white, if you get clear then you'll see right through it to your led's or wiring. ABS sheets would work as well but thinking long term I think plexiglass would last longer. The world of plastics has a wide diversity of items available. If you want raised lettering it starts to get complicated but it you just stick to sheets then you have your trunk act as the raised portion. Just thinking out loud.
MrBlaze-65 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MrBlaze-65 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-01-2014, 04:28 PM   #8
WallsAndFoundations

Drives:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBlaze-65 View Post
it's just plexiglass colored white, if you get clear then you'll see right through it to your led's or wiring. ABS sheets would work as well but thinking long term I think plexiglass would last longer. The world of plastics has a wide diversity of items available. If you want raised lettering it starts to get complicated but it you just stick to sheets then you have your trunk act as the raised portion. Just thinking out loud.
Sweet man. Thank you! I'll try and find a good customs shop and throw around some ideas and see what everything would cost.
Old 08-01-2014, 05:14 PM   #9
wheelhaus

Drives: 2013 BRZ, 2020 KTM Super Duke 1290R
Thanked 1,141 Times in 624 Posts
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
You could call around to some machine shops that do plastic. I imagine any UV resistant hard plastic would work... Or vinyl bubble lettering. If you want to do the backlit idea it might end up being a pretty involved project, but having the letters frosted or coated with a translucent spray would hide the LEDs and make the whole letter glow. It will be a little tricky with such thin lettering to get the light to diffuse evenly and not look like little glowing dots.

An alternate idea would be to have a 1/4" thick frosted plaque made that is entirely backlit and lights evenly, with the edges shaped in a tasteful manner that looks good on the trunk. Then simply mask off the letters and have the remaining area paint matched red. If done right I think it might absorb some light when turned off, but glow red (or whatever color LED you choose) when illuminated.

Or, aother alternate idea again, which may be the most cost effective, is to have the SCION text cut from vinyl and masked in a slightly darker/lighter shade or sprayed with a candy so it stands out slightly. Have it done when the rest is painted and its done in one paint operation. It won't be 3D or backlit, but it'll look good and won't break the bank.
wheelhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wheelhaus For This Useful Post:
Old 08-01-2014, 05:18 PM   #10
WallsAndFoundations

Drives:
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelhaus View Post
You could call around to some machine shops that do plastic. I imagine any UV resistant hard plastic would work... Or vinyl bubble lettering. If you want to do the backlit idea it might end up being a pretty involved project, but having the letters frosted or coated with a translucent spray would hide the LEDs and make the whole letter glow. It will be a little tricky with such thin lettering to get the light to diffuse evenly and not look like little glowing dots.

An alternate idea would be to have a 1/4" thick frosted plaque made that is entirely backlit and lights evenly, with the edges shaped in a tasteful manner that looks good on the trunk. Then simply mask off the letters and have the remaining area paint matched red. If done right I think it might absorb some light when turned off, but glow red (or whatever color LED you choose) when illuminated.

Or, aother alternate idea again, which may be the most cost effective, is to have the SCION text cut from vinyl and masked in a slightly darker/lighter shade or sprayed with a candy so it stands out slightly. Have it done when the rest is painted and its done in one paint operation. It won't be 3D or backlit, but it'll look good and won't break the bank.
Awesome advice thank you. I know the vinyl wrap would be the most cost effective, but I really want it to look unique and different, where vinyl wrap would look a ton more just kinda.. there... ya feels?

I really love the idea of a backlit area, it would be one of a kind for sure. All a matter of how much time will it take and how expensive it will be so I can prepare for it.
Old 08-01-2014, 05:19 PM   #11
WallsAndFoundations

Drives:
Quote:
Originally Posted by boredom.is.me View Post
I can take care of this for you.

You know you can actually go all out and have a flat (non raised) glowing lettering right.
Whoa that would actually be pretty dope, could I have it glow red? What's the process??
Old 08-01-2014, 07:10 PM   #12
IceFyre13th

Drives: Mazdarati
Thanked 1,369 Times in 675 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Let me leave this here as an idea............ http://lumilor.com/ and http://www.litcoat.com/
Old 08-01-2014, 07:26 PM   #13
WallsAndFoundations

Drives:
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceFyre13th View Post
Let me leave this here as an idea............ http://lumilor.com/ and http://www.litcoat.com/
That is severely sick... maybe i could get plexiglass or some fiberglass coated with it... how does it light up?
Old 08-01-2014, 09:42 PM   #14
Kiske

Drives: RX-7 / BRZ
Thanked 2,501 Times in 1,081 Posts
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
I'd go a different route. If you have a carbon decklid, you could have them draw/trace the logo onto the actual decklid then carefully cut out the "SCION" letters. Then using a piece of page cover the holes left from cutting out the letters on the backside. Layer a bit of Fiberglass (or carbon if not painting) over the tape and let cure. Remove, pull tape, sand and then resin it to inside of the trunk creating RECESSED letters. Which IMO will look 1000x better than raised badging. You could then dicide wether to paint it or leave it carbon for a ultra-sleek look.