follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing)

Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing) Everything related to the mechanical maintenance of the FR-S and BRZ

User Tag List

Old 02-14-2015, 04:10 AM   #1
MINOCIN

Drives: Asphalt 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
What brake fluid do you use when bleeding/flushing the clutch?

I want to flush my clutch fluid but I have never done it before. For those who have, what brake fluid did you choose and why? Also, how much fluid do I need?

The service manual only lists the following:
Quote:
Brake fluid and clutch fluid: FMVSS No. 116 DOT3, or DOT4
I know I could go to any auto store and pick up any bottle of DOT3 or 4 brake fluid, but I was wondering if any of the track guys here have a particular fluid that they prefer. I'm not saying that I want to put something in as expensive as Torque 700, but maybe Motul RBF600 Racing Brake Fluid if it will hold up better than the generic Autozone/O'Reily store brand.

I bought my FRS back in June of 2012 and I have a little over 32K miles on it now, but it wasn't until last year when I installed the Innovate super charger that I started having trouble getting into first gear and reverse on warm days (80+ F) or after a 20 minute track session. I checked the clutch fluid reservoir and the fluid is dark brown. I'm hoping that flushing the clutch fluid will help with this problem.

I searched the forums and I found a very informative DIY on how to replace the clutch slave cylinder, but I couldn't find anything on how much fluid I would need to flush the system and if there were any fluid preferences.

Thanks in advance for your help and suggestions

"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." -Oscar Gamble
MINOCIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 11:22 AM   #2
Decay107
Turning is for Nerds

Drives: 35 characters is not enough
Thanked 1,259 Times in 717 Posts
Mentioned: 186 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
I use the same as I do in my brakes, ATE TYP 200. Slightly lower boiling point than RBF, but it's half the price and if you boil any decent DOT4 you should look at cooling solutions rather than fluid solutions.

*edit, it does not take much fluid at all. You can do your brake system and clutch on one liter easily.
Decay107 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Decay107 For This Useful Post:
MINOCIN (02-18-2015)
Old 02-14-2015, 12:54 PM   #3
JB86'd

Drives: JAWS
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I just recently did the clutch slave cylinder swap and I just used the standard Subaru brake fluid, works fine as far as I know.
Old 02-14-2015, 02:37 PM   #4
tomaszjanczak

Drives: Silver Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
I used Motul RBF600 and bought two 0.5 liter bottles. $30 shipped
tomaszjanczak is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tomaszjanczak For This Useful Post:
MINOCIN (02-18-2015)
Old 02-18-2015, 01:17 AM   #5
MINOCIN

Drives: Asphalt 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Thanks guys. I decided to go ahead and purchase some RBF600 from Counter Space Garage since I was already making a couple of other purchase with them anyway. I purchased two 500 mL bottles.

I'm hoping the fluid flush will help with the clutch problem. I agree that addressing the heat issue directly would be best if it is indeed the culprit,but as we all know combating the heat isn't easy, especially when you are at the track.

"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." -Oscar Gamble
MINOCIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 01:53 AM   #6
Koa
Sweeper

Drives: '02 RA Bugeye | '15 FRS
Thanked 1,488 Times in 788 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Garage
Ultra's forester slave cylinder retrofit is simply awesome. One of the first mods I've done on the car and I absolutely love how it improved clutch feel. Sorry for slightly OT
Koa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 05:02 AM   #7
Mykii
Noodleking

Drives: 2013 Firestorm FRS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MINOCIN View Post
Thanks guys. I decided to go ahead and purchase some RBF600 from Counter Space Garage since I was already making a couple of other purchase with them anyway. I purchased two 500 mL bottles.

I'm hoping the fluid flush will help with the clutch problem. I agree that addressing the heat issue directly would be best if it is indeed the culprit,but as we all know combating the heat isn't easy, especially when you are at the track.
Sorry to res this, but I've got the same thing going on-- new supercharger, probably older clutch fluid, hard to get into first gear at a stop. Hoping to get a decent idea for my next step.
2013 Firestorm FR-S, Kraftwerks C38 kit, FT-86 UEL Catted Headers, TRD D-Tip cat-back, Vibrant 1140 Resonator, Exedy Stage 1 Normal/smoother clutch that replaced the Stage 2 3-puck clutch, Exedy Lightweight flywheel, DSS carbon fiber driveshaft, TEIN springs on performance package Sachs dampers, Megan Racing Inner tie rods, 17x8 +35 Enkei Silver RPF1's, OS-Giken 1.5-way diff, J-Luth steering wheel and now a GKTech angle kit-- which rubs.
Mykii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 12:07 PM   #8
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Changed out my clutch fluid using the generic yellow bottle Prestone DOT 4 brake fluid. Didn't really notice any difference to be honest. Shifts were fine before and fine afterwards.

Fresh transmission fluid and adjusting the clutch engagement point a little higher made the biggest difference for me in terms of smoother shifting.

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
DarkSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote