follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing)

Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing) Everything related to the mechanical maintenance of the FR-S and BRZ

User Tag List

Old 08-30-2020, 09:48 PM   #1
JaeMHC

Drives: FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Squishy brake pedal after bleeding and changing fluid

I was driving when my brake pedal all of a sudden became very squishy. Coincidentally it happened a few days before I was scheduled to take it to my mechanic to change out my rotors and pads. I told him about the squishy pedal and he said he'd bleed the brakes. He bled them and then told me to take it for a drive and the pedal was still squishy so he told me he would bleed them again. I picked up the car the next day and the pedal is still squishy but not as squishy - it has pressure when you step on it and then it slowly depresses until its all the way pushed in. We think it might be the clutch master cylinder that is faulty but has anyone else ran into this problem?

Its a 2013 FRS with 210,000 km

EDIT: Sorry I think I posted this in the wrong section

Last edited by JaeMHC; 08-31-2020 at 12:33 AM.
JaeMHC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JaeMHC For This Useful Post:
humfrz (08-31-2020)
Old 08-31-2020, 02:03 AM   #2
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,816 Times in 16,425 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
No, but I would suspect the master or slave cylinder to be worn out, if, of course, the fluid is not being pushed out (leaking).

They are relatively inexpensive and easy to replace.

But, if you are going to have the pads and rotors replaced, why not wait and do it all at once.
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 10:22 AM   #3
Grady

Drives: BRZ Yellow, 2019 Ranger, 2011 Evora
Thanked 1,475 Times in 771 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaeMHC View Post
slowly depresses until its all the way pushed in. We think it might be the clutch master cylinder that is faulty
I am sure that is a typo but no it is not the clutch master cylinder. If it is not spraying brake fluid out then I would replace the brake master cylinder. That will fix your issue.
Grady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 12:54 PM   #4
JaeMHC

Drives: FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
No, but I would suspect the master or slave cylinder to be worn out, if, of course, the fluid is not being pushed out (leaking).

They are relatively inexpensive and easy to replace.

But, if you are going to have the pads and rotors replaced, why not wait and do it all at once.

I recently purchased this car and the previous owner replaced the pads and kept the old rotors so the car was initially in to have the rotors and pads replaced and a day before it was going in the brake pedal became squishy. So we replaced everything and changed/bled the brake fluid but the brake pedal problem persisted. He was off work when I was able to pick up the car so when I bring it back to him I will talk to him about the master cylinder. Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grady View Post
I am sure that is a typo but no it is not the clutch master cylinder. If it is not spraying brake fluid out then I would replace the brake master cylinder. That will fix your issue.

Ah yes I mean the brake master cylinder sorry. He said there are no leaks so I will talk to him about having it replaced. Thank you
JaeMHC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JaeMHC For This Useful Post:
humfrz (08-31-2020)
Old 09-03-2020, 08:38 PM   #5
Bonburner
6/22/12-2/6/24

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S M/T Argento
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Garage
yeah this is going on with mine right now.
I'm not liking how soft and squishy my pads feel.

I thought it was an airbubble too, but even after another fluid bleed it still seems soft.
I am using a different set of rotors than OEM, so I'm wondering if they're the same thickness.

Let us know how it goes with replacing the brake master cylinder. I might have to try that next.