follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > CANADA

CANADA Canada

User Tag List

Old 07-04-2020, 09:03 AM   #1
NotAMiata

Drives: 2015 frs, 2000 Honda s2000,
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
First track day at cayuga

Hey guys so I took my frs to my first track day at cayuga, 100% stock car, managed to get a 1:30.2 which I think I can get down lower if I just get better tires and brakes. In my modded s2000 I was getting low 1:25. My friend just beat my "track record" in our group of friends so i'd like to get my time back. He managed a 1:24.2 but he got blocked before the main straight. Now I'm thinking I can easily beat that time if I go supercharger, tires/wheels and pads but id like to know what you guys think.

Tldr did my first track day, had a blast, need my car to go sub 1:24 around Cayuga, thinking supercharger, tires wheels and pads should get me there.
NotAMiata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 09:59 AM   #2
mabviper

Drives: WRB BRZ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
You should try working on your technique. There are a number ppl below 1:24 with minor upgrades like wheels, tires and brake, maybe suspension. If you want a supercharger, don't get it to go sub 1:24 in Cayuga. It's a very expensive upgrade just to go about average time of ppl that have moderate track experience.
mabviper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mabviper For This Useful Post:
Frost (07-06-2020), new2subaru (07-04-2020), wparsons (07-08-2020)
Old 07-04-2020, 10:37 AM   #3
TommyW

Drives: '13 Whiteout
Thanked 1,242 Times in 673 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Going FI will only help in the straights. Working on technique and car control with a stock setup for awhile will be more advantageous. Regardless get the right pads and fluid.
TommyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 09:19 AM   #4
Frost
CASC-OR T.A. Director

Drives: '13 Prius, '22 BRZ
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Garage
Your car should be able to get sub 1:25 mark with proper technique on stock power plus alignment and tires. At OTA, we've got a BUNCH of FRZ's in a similar position. Work on the driver mod first.

Got any video for us to back seat drive on?

Also, my stock S2000 plus 255 square plus alignment plus track pads did a dirty 1:23.8 officially at OTA. I had a 1:22 but I threw it away.

OTA LIVE TIMING LINK
Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Frost For This Useful Post:
wparsons (07-08-2020)
Old 07-06-2020, 12:36 PM   #5
Tokay444
Anti stance.

Drives: 17 White 860. RCE Tarmac 2. RE-71RS
I was sub 1:25 last year on stock sized RE-71R, TRD springs, TRD sways and DS2500 pads.
This year I've added tS dampers and more negative front camber.
Don't make up for bad driving with more power.

Last edited by Tokay444; 07-07-2020 at 06:11 PM.
Tokay444 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tokay444 For This Useful Post:
Frost (07-06-2020), pslater (07-08-2020), wparsons (07-08-2020)
Old 07-10-2020, 08:48 AM   #6
nocwage
MMTT

Drives: 2019 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Folks are pretty harsh on here; "bad driving". A 1:30 for first time in a stock car is pretty good. If you keep it all stock (including tires) and can get it to consistently in the 1:28s you'll be doing really great and ready to take proper advantage of extra mods. Next mod should be a more aggressive alignment/camber and once the stock tires wear out a more aggressive tire. With a fully stock car on 225 RE71Rs (stock alignment too) it was easy to get into the 1:26s consistently. I currently have a header, FA500s and 245 RS4s on too narrow (8") wheels and I'm now consistently in the low 1:24s with the A/C on and 30C+ weather. Plus my weight is 190lbs.
I wouldn't recommend jumping straight to a super sticky tire, it hides a lot of mistakes
nocwage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 11:39 AM   #7
Frost
CASC-OR T.A. Director

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nocwage View Post
Folks are pretty harsh on here; "bad driving". A 1:30 for first time in a stock car is pretty good. If you keep it all stock (including tires) and can get it to consistently in the 1:28s you'll be doing really great and ready to take proper advantage of extra mods. Next mod should be a more aggressive alignment/camber and once the stock tires wear out a more aggressive tire. With a fully stock car on 225 RE71Rs (stock alignment too) it was easy to get into the 1:26s consistently. I currently have a header, FA500s and 245 RS4s on too narrow (8") wheels and I'm now consistently in the low 1:24s with the A/C on and 30C+ weather. Plus my weight is 190lbs.
I wouldn't recommend jumping straight to a super sticky tire, it hides a lot of mistakes
I don't think we were being mean spirited but just offering the truth. OP seemed to indicate he needed more power (key word: needed) to get faster but he's leaving a lot of time on the table (almost 6-8 seconds) by the best FREE mod out there: driver mod.

I also agree super sticky tires hide a lot of mistakes but a tire like the Hankook RS4s are a good overall balance because they're not super sticky right off the bat, last a long time and warm up with your skill. I recommend that tire to all my students. The best lapping/learning tire out there.

OTA LIVE TIMING LINK
Old 07-10-2020, 01:26 PM   #8
TommyW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frost View Post
to get faster but he's leaving a lot of time on the table (almost 6-8 seconds) by the best FREE mod out there: driver mod.
You coach for free? Seat time is free (exclusive of track time) however seat time does not automatically equal better driving in many cases and many times can be a hindrance to progression as hammering laps and ingraining bad habits can backfire in the big picture.

The next best thing is an instructor that is provided at many track day events and many work just to run for free and they enjoy instructing. There are great ones and not so great ones. Let him drive your car a few laps with you in the right seat. This is one of the best lessons you can get.
Old 07-10-2020, 02:33 PM   #9
Frost
CASC-OR T.A. Director

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyW View Post
You coach for free? Seat time is free (exclusive of track time) however seat time does not automatically equal better driving in many cases and many times can be a hindrance to progression as hammering laps and ingraining bad habits can backfire in the big picture.

The next best thing is an instructor that is provided at many track day events and many work just to run for free and they enjoy instructing. There are great ones and not so great ones. Let him drive your car a few laps with you in the right seat. This is one of the best lessons you can get.
Not sure what your inflection here so I'll clarify.

I said driver mod. Not just seat time but seat time still can entail experience and provided the subject is capable of detecting errors or shaking the foundation of what (s)he knows, it will usually lead to improvements albeit possibly inefficiently as it may involve re-inventing the wheel.

To re-interate: experience does not equate to skill. They can be mutually exclusive at times.

Yeah, I know what you mean by run-for-free instructors - had a few shitty ones in my life who were clearly there to get free lapping. I almost never take up the free lapping because its usually not clean and I'd rather focus on the teaching which I do enjoy and use as a self-feedback mechanism. It also helps me refocus on the basics regardless of how long I've been doing this. Some of the best drivers I know are a combination of self-taught, all schooled and mixed self-and-schooled. All signs still point to self improvement first and foremost.

Having someone drive your car at a limit higher than yours definitely helps visualize the difference for sure but for your average beginner, I would not recommend this because they think they can bridge the gap very quickly OR be afraid. Both are not helpful.

My free advice to anyone getting into the sport is to understand the basic science of racing lines, vision and being nice and smooth. They're the mise-en-place for performance driving. Once the basic understanding of the medium is there, you can visualize the gaps you have and address.

That's where I always suggest getting instruction is a great way to start. Conflict of interest I know but it would have shaved off a few years of frustration for myself had I swallowed some pride. So I try to share my own lessons for free.

That being said, no one ever thinks they're a bad driver. Re: Dunning Kruger effect.

OTA LIVE TIMING LINK
Old 07-10-2020, 02:38 PM   #10
wparsons

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S Manual
Thanked 3,351 Times in 2,134 Posts
Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nocwage View Post

First time in this car, he said he has experience in his S2000 and was in the 1:25 range.
Old 07-10-2020, 09:29 PM   #11
TommyW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frost View Post
Not sure what your inflection here so I'll clarify.

I said driver mod. Not just seat time but seat time still can entail experience and provided the subject is capable of detecting errors or shaking the foundation of what (s)he knows, it will usually lead to improvements albeit possibly inefficiently as it may involve re-inventing the wheel.

To re-interate: experience does not equate to skill. They can be mutually exclusive at times.

Yeah, I know what you mean by run-for-free instructors - had a few shitty ones in my life who were clearly there to get free lapping. I almost never take up the free lapping because its usually not clean and I'd rather focus on the teaching which I do enjoy and use as a self-feedback mechanism. It also helps me refocus on the basics regardless of how long I've been doing this. Some of the best drivers I know are a combination of self-taught, all schooled and mixed self-and-schooled. All signs still point to self improvement first and foremost.

Having someone drive your car at a limit higher than yours definitely helps visualize the difference for sure but for your average beginner, I would not recommend this because they think they can bridge the gap very quickly OR be afraid. Both are not helpful.

My free advice to anyone getting into the sport is to understand the basic science of racing lines, vision and being nice and smooth. They're the mise-en-place for performance driving. Once the basic understanding of the medium is there, you can visualize the gaps you have and address.

That's where I always suggest getting instruction is a great way to start. Conflict of interest I know but it would have shaved off a few years of frustration for myself had I swallowed some pride. So I try to share my own lessons for free.

That being said, no one ever thinks they're a bad driver. Re: Dunning Kruger effect.
Hmm.... Ill leave it there.
Old 07-10-2020, 09:55 PM   #12
Frost
CASC-OR T.A. Director

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyW View Post
Hmm.... Ill leave it there.
Oh but you didn't. You responded. Come on now, share some of that good stuff.

Don't be mysterious.

OTA LIVE TIMING LINK
Old 07-12-2020, 01:39 PM   #13
laksman91

Drives: BRZ Sport-Tech, Evo X GSR, E92 M3
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Skip the supercharger, so not needed. Get good pads, tires and you'll be able to get to your friends goal. My car is N/A and my best is 1:20.59
laksman91 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to laksman91 For This Useful Post:
Frost (07-12-2020), wparsons (07-14-2020)
Old 07-14-2020, 08:01 AM   #14
Frost
CASC-OR T.A. Director

Garage
@NotAMiata - OTA is about to hit up TMP on July 25th - come on out and sign up with us and see all the FRZ'es I'm talking about!

We just had our annual Mosport GP event and a BRZ took first place in iPAX by running a 1:42 at GP on just brake pads and alignment and RE71Rs! See results here: http://livetiming.time-attack.ca/events/16/results/

OTA LIVE TIMING LINK
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Frost For This Useful Post:
Tokay444 (07-14-2020), wparsons (07-14-2020)