follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 05-11-2012, 07:40 AM   #1
Blaaaack-BRZ

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Cusco Rear Diff. Jewelry

http://www.facebook.com/#!/media/set...8312172&type=1

Blaaaack-BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 08:24 AM   #2
old greg
Rocket Surgeon

Drives: PSM GGA OMG
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
old greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 09:12 AM   #3
ESBjiujitsu
MUST HAVE MORE 86 ! ! !

Drives: Mazdaspeed 6 2.3 AWD Turbo
Garage
me likey the cusco blue!!!!!

92 carmy -> 86 corolla-> Honda S2000 -> Audi TT -> Mazdaspeed6 -> NEXT UP TOYOTA FT-86!!!!
ESBjiujitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 09:23 AM   #4
70NYD

Drives: RX8 S1
I don't get it? What is it supposed to do?
Old 05-11-2012, 09:29 AM   #5
MattR
Running in the 90s

Drives: 2014 Scion FR-S Monogram
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70NYD View Post
From what I can gather via a poor Google translation, it is supposed to help dissipate heat generated by the diff better (heatsink fins) and possibly hold more fluid.

From http://minkara.carview.co.jp/userid/...blog/26435400/

"Up Def cover capacity differential oil effective for sports driving, such as ① Circuit!  500cc up the capacity of the oil   (from the Service Manual) 0.05 l 1.15 l ± genuine  ± 0.05 l 1.7 l capacity after installing the cover-up def → cooling capacity up by air-cooling fin"
MattR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 09:30 AM   #6
OrbitalEllipses
Banned

Drives: Attitude
Thanked 4,889 Times in 2,902 Posts
Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Bling.
OrbitalEllipses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 09:49 AM   #7
old greg
Rocket Surgeon

Drives: PSM GGA OMG
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Something completely unnecessary.

Rear end ring and pinion gear sets are what are known as Hypoid gears, which involve quite a bit of sliding between the faces of the meshing teeth. This creates heat from friction which raises the temperature of the gear oil. The more power you're putting through the diff the more heat is created, and the hotter the oil gets the less it lubricates which leads to more heat, wear and premature failures. That's why you'll see differential oil coolers on high horsepower race cars. The fins on this diff cover increase the surface area which would mean improved cooling and by extension lower diff temps and less wear.

The thing is, though, the stock diff is totally overbuilt for the meager 200hp the car is making. Diff temp will not even remotely be an issue, even if you were racing at the 25 hours of Thunderhill. If you were to turbo your car and regularly take it to track it might be a worthwhile mod. Otherwise, it's just a shiny blue bauble.
old greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 10:29 AM   #8
Ryephile
Hot Dog

Drives: quicker than arghx7
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by old greg View Post
The thing is, though, the stock diff is totally overbuilt for the meager 200hp the car is making. Diff temp will not even remotely be an issue, even if you were racing at the 25 hours of Thunderhill. If you were to turbo your car and regularly take it to track it might be a worthwhile mod. Otherwise, it's just a shiny blue bauble.

The diff was designed for a heavier car with more power. Diff temps shouldn't even be on the radar yet, though good dataloggers will record it anyway to find out at which power and race duration level it'll be relevant to regulate the temp.
Old 05-11-2012, 10:39 AM   #9
70NYD

Drives: RX8 S1
Quote:
Originally Posted by old greg View Post
Something completely unnecessary.

Rear end ring and pinion gear sets are what are known as Hypoid gears, which involve quite a bit of sliding between the faces of the meshing teeth. This creates heat from friction which raises the temperature of the gear oil. The more power you're putting through the diff the more heat is created, and the hotter the oil gets the less it lubricates which leads to more heat, wear and premature failures. That's why you'll see differential oil coolers on high horsepower race cars. The fins on this diff cover increase the surface area which would mean improved cooling and by extension lower diff temps and less wear.

Sorry I meant what the hell is the purpose of this? I get how diffs work, And am fairly familiar with tribology, what I don't get is how they can just manufacture something like this which obviously needs extensive testing to make properly. If anything, this can, on a daily application, overcool the lubricant leading to premature failures
Old 05-11-2012, 11:07 AM   #10
Ryephile
Hot Dog

Drives: quicker than arghx7
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
^^This is why so many aftermarket products are "buyer beware". IME you should only be changing component specification for items that need improvement, otherwise you risk creating problems for yourself.
Old 05-11-2012, 11:34 AM   #11
djdnz

Drives: 2013 BRZ WRB S/C
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
You'll have more headaches with this than anything. This is similar to decorative valve covers, my friend installed some on his Mustang and they have been leaking slightly ever since. What a pain.

Pass on this.
djdnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 07:52 PM   #12
jkonquer

Drives: 2005 Subaru STI
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
i wonder how hard it is to torque down the top bolt.
Old 05-11-2012, 08:09 PM   #13
Godzilla35

Drives: Nissan GT-R
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryephile View Post
^^This is why so many aftermarket products are "buyer beware". IME you should only be changing component specification for items that need improvement, otherwise you risk creating problems for yourself.
^^This is what is kind of scaring me about the FRS / BRZ / GT86 tuning parts done so far. A lot of it seems a bit... rushed? I really hope these big name companies are actually doing the R&D on a new car like this, especially with suspension geometry... and NOT just doing "what they normally do" or "what's worked in the past". I have friends in the engineering field, and a lot of them say that if it's true most of the time, this case is probably no different... but I just get the feeling this car isn't as "inexpensive" as it seems in the long run.
Godzilla35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 08:36 PM   #14
SkullWorks
Banned

Drives: SSM LT MT BRZ
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
how long do you think it takes to design a diff cover and produce it?

I make 1 off Oil pans and Trans Pans all the time, if you want cooling you simply add surface area, how much is usually limited by design not desire. you are not going to "over cool" diff fluid, it doesn't have to get pumped so the system pressure never comes into play.

is this a necessary product for the car on this date? um negative, I can only think of about 3 cars I have seen that need this and I'm fairly sure none are running the stock diff, however, as soon as someone wants to put this car on the track with R-Comps (as cusco has been doing for months) they are going to start seeing diff fluid come out of the overflow tube, especially with longer than 20-30 minute sessions.

If you happen to be running the Cusco Clutch type LSD, and are tracking your car this will become quite necessary

however...haters gonna hate, so continue on without thinking please
SkullWorks is offline   Reply With Quote