follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]

User Tag List

Old 03-21-2014, 09:18 PM   #1
speargunsandracecars

Drives: 2014 BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
NC MX-5 vs. BRZ

I've recently wrote an article on rallyways.com. It's an up and coming automotive blog written by car guys like you and me. I traded my old NC in for a BRZ a couple weeks ago and I wrote an article noting the similarities and differences. I hope you guys enjoy the read. Also, feel free to read the other articles. There's good content there.

http://rallyways.com/5903/affordable...-miata-vs-brz/

Last edited by speargunsandracecars; 03-21-2014 at 09:42 PM.
speargunsandracecars is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to speargunsandracecars For This Useful Post:
Atropine (03-25-2014), dp1 (03-24-2014), fatoni (03-22-2014), frslee (03-24-2014), glamcem (03-24-2014), juliog (03-24-2014), kludger (04-27-2014)
Old 03-24-2014, 01:41 AM   #2
glamcem

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
great review
glamcem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 02:51 AM   #3
Xerious
Speed Chaser Thrill Seekr

Drives: 2014 Asphalt Monogram FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by speargunsandracecars View Post
I've recently wrote an article on rallyways.com. It's an up and coming automotive blog written by car guys like you and me. I traded my old NC in for a BRZ a couple weeks ago and I wrote an article noting the similarities and differences. I hope you guys enjoy the read. Also, feel free to read the other articles. There's good content there.

http://rallyways.com/5903/affordable...-miata-vs-brz/
Out of curiosity, how much time did you spend driving the Brz before writing this article? I picked up an fr-s and has buyers remorse initially but after about 1000 miles my feelings changed.

I bought this car because I needed to replace my v8 that was on its very last legs. It was hard going from all that power to a light and nimbly quick car.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
Xerious is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Xerious For This Useful Post:
CatDaddysBBQ (04-12-2014)
Old 03-24-2014, 03:32 AM   #4
glamcem

it's very odd, I've also traded my NC for a BRZ like couple weeks ago haha
Old 03-24-2014, 03:34 AM   #5
glamcem

and I completely agree with the things you mentioned in your review I didn't get a chance to track my NC miata as I did with my previous cars but hopefully I will attend a few events with the BRZ
Old 03-25-2014, 02:35 AM   #6
Atropine

Drives: 2021 Toyota Supra 2020 4Runner
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Terrible article...I liked the one on the Miata Forums better!

http://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=534847

J/K

I recently went the other way.

I inherited my Grandfathers 1991 BRG Miata. I have been oogling his Miata since I was 11 years old.

Well, recently I bought it from him and decided to sell my BRZ.

I know I am comparing an NA Miata to a BRZ, but both cars are great (Miata and the Twins).
Atropine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 04:55 PM   #7
sobrz

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Great article. I switched from an NC to a BRZ 3 months ago and I echo all authors opinions.

Let me add: an NC benefits a ton from a good aftermarket header and tune. My NC with Brian Goodwin's street header and a tune from @moto-mike was MUCH faster than my BRZ is. It was also a much more fun daily driver due to better bottom/mid range torque.

Unfortunately, it looks like the only real option to make the BRZ faster is a $5K SC (from what I'm reading around here, the bolt-ons and tune don't even solve the torque dip).

Don't get me wrong, I love the BRZ, but I really hope to figure out how to make it as fun as my NC was.

In case you wonder why I switched: I drive my toddler daily, the BRZ clearly beats the NC in a "toddler hauler" category.

But if fun factor is your only consideration, you're less than 6.2, and you live in a warm place like CA, I'd definitely advise you to go for NC vs an 86.
sobrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sobrz For This Useful Post:
glamcem (04-04-2014)
Old 03-26-2014, 04:59 PM   #8
GotMunchies?

Drives: '14 WRB BRZ 6MT Limited
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sobrz View Post
Unfortunately, it looks like the only real option to make the BRZ faster is a $5K SC (from what I'm reading around here, the bolt-ons and tune don't even solve the torque gap).
Look into Unequal Length Headers and tune. This combo seems to solve 90% of the torque dip.
GotMunchies? is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GotMunchies? For This Useful Post:
Xero-Limit (03-26-2014)
Old 03-26-2014, 07:49 PM   #9
Xero-Limit

Drives: JDL Turbo FRS, 335SC BRZ (ret)
Thanked 1,547 Times in 525 Posts
Mentioned: 380 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quote:
Great article. I switched from an NC to a BRZ 3 months ago and I echo all authors opinions.

Let me add: an NC benefits a ton from a good aftermarket header and tune. My NC with Brian Goodwin's street header and a tune from @moto-mike was MUCH faster than my BRZ is. It was also a much more fun daily driver due to better bottom/mid range torque.

Unfortunately, it looks like the only real option to make the BRZ faster is a $5K SC (from what I'm reading around here, the bolt-ons and tune don't even solve the torque dip).

Don't get me wrong, I love the BRZ, but I really hope to figure out how to make it as fun as my NC was.

In case you wonder why I switched: I drive my toddler daily, the BRZ clearly beats the NC in a "toddler hauler" category.

But if fun factor is your only consideration, you're less than 6.2, and you live in a warm place like CA, I'd definitely advise you to go for NC vs an 86.

As said above with a header and a tune the two get quite close. If you look at the dyno section on our website (news and info icon on main page) you'll see an NC vs BRZ dyno (without header BRZ, header MX5) and it is comical how the torque dip is the inverse at up top.

But the NC has the weight advantage. Our 06 with the 2.5 swap weighed in at 2460 the other day with a full interior and no weight reduction other than a muffler. BRZ is a good 200 lbs more unless you start shedding weight.

For the header/tune combos we routinely dyno high 180's on pump, 200 on e85. NCs around 150's-160's and about 10 more for e85 on those.

I'd say the BRZ and the NC both respond equally well with a good header (even borla) and a tune. Intakes and mufflers not so much, the NC does better there.
Xero-Limit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 08:02 PM   #10
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:

If you go by Moto-Mike's numbers, it sounds like it won't be too hard. With header + tune:

Miata: 2498 curb / 160 whp = 15.61 lbs/whp

BRZ: 2776 curb / 188 whp = 14.77 lbs/whp

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
DarkSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 08:46 PM   #11
fatoni

Drives: miata, mazdaspeed protege, ls430
Thanked 1,442 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSunrise View Post
If you go by Moto-Mike's numbers, it sounds like it won't be too hard. With header + tune:

Miata: 2498 curb / 160 whp = 15.61 lbs/whp

BRZ: 2776 curb / 188 whp = 14.77 lbs/whp
in terms of outright speed i guess but i think theres more to it than that. from my experience, its simply that its just not a fair fight as far as numbers go. the miata is just so much smaller and a little more visceral. it just takes less statistics to get the desired feel. i dont think its a good or a bad thing. just a different thing.

all that being said, it really confuses me that a car like this has been out of the us market for such a long time.
fatoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 10:22 PM   #12
DarkSunrise

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatoni View Post
in terms of outright speed i guess but i think theres more to it than that. from my experience, its simply that its just not a fair fight as far as numbers go. the miata is just so much smaller and a little more visceral. it just takes less statistics to get the desired feel. i dont think its a good or a bad thing. just a different thing.

all that being said, it really confuses me that a car like this has been out of the us market for such a long time.
Yeah I was really only addressing his comment about the header + tune making the Miata "much faster" than the BRZ. Mod-for-mod, the BRZ still has the advantage in speed.

For non-speed related factors, it'll come down to personal preference. I've spent a good deal of seat time in NA and NC Miatas, as I had good friends who owned those cars. In normal driving, I actually do prefer a top-down Miata on a nice day, but at the track or anytime pushing above 7/10ths, my choice would be the BRZ. It's the better dual-purpose street/track car IMO.

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
Old 03-26-2014, 10:34 PM   #13
fatoni

Drives: miata, mazdaspeed protege, ls430
Thanked 1,442 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSunrise View Post
Yeah I was really only addressing his comment about the header + tune making the Miata "much faster" than the BRZ. Mod-for-mod, the BRZ still has the advantage in speed.

For non-speed related factors, it'll come down to personal preference. I've spent a good deal of seat time in NA and NC Miatas, as I had good friends who owned those cars. In normal driving, I actually do prefer a top-down Miata on a nice day, but at the track or anytime pushing above 7/10ths, my choice would be the BRZ. It's the better dual-purpose street/track car IMO.
in that case i dont have much to disagree with. the brz is much more appropriate for daily driving compared to my miata experience (mainly because im 6'2"). i look forward to the day when i get actual track experience with my brz but ive got a track prepped miata so i dont know if that will happen any time soon. i bought the brz with the intent to sell my stock na but then i actually traded it for a significantly modified one from a reputable builder so here i am. great problem to have though.
fatoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 10:48 PM   #14
DarkSunrise

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatoni View Post
in that case i dont have much to disagree with. the brz is much more appropriate for daily driving compared to my miata experience (mainly because im 6'2"). i look forward to the day when i get actual track experience with my brz but ive got a track prepped miata so i dont know if that will happen any time soon. i bought the brz with the intent to sell my stock na but then i actually traded it for a significantly modified one from a reputable builder so here i am. great problem to have though.
Definitely. I love having different cars to drive/mess around with, even though financially it's not the brightest idea. I've even thought about picking up a cheap Miata to use as a daily. Maybe if/when I move to southern cal and there's constantly good weather to enjoy top-down motoring.

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build