follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List
Pat.Thornton

Old 01-20-2017, 03:28 PM   #561
Stang70Fastback
A.K.A. Starlord

Drives: 2015 Series.Blue
Thanked 2,099 Times in 834 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Odd View Post
Add me to the club -

2014, 24k, clutch, TOB, fuel pump (#3) getting replaced under EXTENDED warranty (Gold plus?)
Not to be picky, but since you did put it in all caps... it is NOT being covered as part of your EXTENDED warranty. It's being covered as part of your FACTORY warranty :P

Your extended warranty doesn't come into play until after the factory warranty expires.

Check out my blog, read all about my BRZ adventures, and oogle my sweet cell-phone photos!
You can also find me on Instagram, and on Facebook.
Stang70Fastback is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stang70Fastback For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (01-20-2017)
Old 01-21-2017, 03:31 PM   #562
Odd
#

Drives: DGM BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stang70Fastback View Post
Not to be picky, but since you did put it in all caps... it is NOT being covered as part of your EXTENDED warranty. It's being covered as part of your FACTORY warranty :P

Your extended warranty doesn't come into play until after the factory warranty expires.
my factory warranty is over (3 year or 36k right?) so its covered under the extended (according to them).
Odd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 04:44 PM   #563
Stang70Fastback
A.K.A. Starlord

Drives: 2015 Series.Blue
Thanked 2,099 Times in 834 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Odd View Post
my factory warranty is over (3 year or 36k right?) so its covered under the extended (according to them).
Oh, I forgot it's 2017. Jesus these cars are old. Might as well sell it at this point. Lol. I was just looking at your 24k miles statement. Drive your car more!!!

Check out my blog, read all about my BRZ adventures, and oogle my sweet cell-phone photos!
You can also find me on Instagram, and on Facebook.
Stang70Fastback is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stang70Fastback For This Useful Post:
Odd (01-22-2017)
Old 01-21-2017, 06:23 PM   #564
catsspat

Drives: 2013 BRZ Premium MT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Oh, I forgot it's 2017. Jesus these cars are old. Might as well sell it at this point. Lol. I was just looking at your 24k miles statement. Drive your car more!!!
Pfft, mine is 2013 (bought 2013-02), and only has 8200 miles. She's a garage princess (no, not queen yet). Even so, I took the transmission down and replaced the TOB at 7539 miles. The snout was dry with signs of wear, and the TOB wasn't very smooth, either. Everything under the car was laughably clean for a 3.5 year old car, or even a new car for that matter. LOL

No more squeak and much smoother clutch since the work (took 2 days by myself), but the transmission is still lousy until it warms up. *sigh* I've lost much confidence in Subaru & Aisin manual transmission setup. I'm guessing my next car will be a Mazda again.
catsspat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to catsspat For This Useful Post:
Odd (02-08-2017)
Old 01-22-2017, 02:25 PM   #565
Odd
#

Drives: DGM BRZ
Quote:
I have three cars and no work commute. I might as well just sell them all and get a bicycle.
Odd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 02:07 AM   #566
Ethereal05

Drives: 2015 BRZ Series.Blue
Garage
The squeaking just started for me last week at about 19.5K miles. Took it in to the dealer today and they have the "clutch assembly" on order. Does anyone know if that essentially includes the TOB and related parts?
Ethereal05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 09:19 AM   #567
SLVRSRFR

Drives: 2013 BRZ 6MT, 2007 WRX Wagon 5MT
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethereal05 View Post
The squeaking just started for me last week at about 19.5K miles. Took it in to the dealer today and they have the "clutch assembly" on order. Does anyone know if that essentially includes the TOB and related parts?
Not as far as I know.

Clutch assembly would be the actual clutch discs themselves, maybe the fork. Not sure what else.

TOB and Pressure plate I believe would have to be ordered separately.

This is just a guess, but my reasoning is based on when I had my TOB and PP replaced after the TOB failed; they offered to order a clutch assembly for me as well. I opted not to replace that at the time, as I had adequate life left on my clutch disc, but the fact that they would have to order a clutch assembly separate leads me to believe that the TOB would not be included in a "clutch assembly" package.
Ethereal05 (04-05-2017)
Old 04-05-2017, 02:12 PM   #568
Ethereal05

Drives: 2015 BRZ Series.Blue
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLVRSRFR View Post
Not as far as I know.

Clutch assembly would be the actual clutch discs themselves, maybe the fork. Not sure what else.

This is just a guess, but my reasoning is based on when I had my TOB and PP replaced after the TOB failed; they offered to order a clutch assembly for me as well. I opted not to replace that at the time, as I had adequate life left on my clutch disc, but the fact that they would have to order a clutch assembly separate leads me to believe that the TOB would not be included in a "clutch assembly" package.
Thanks. I have been doing a fair bit of research on the issue and I am positive it is coming from the bell housing. I looked at my receipt again last night and they want to replace the clutch pedal assembly first. I guess it can't hurt to start there. Looking forward to getting this fixed as it's a bit annoying.
Ethereal05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 02:55 PM   #569
sato

Drives: Dodge Patitas
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLVRSRFR View Post
Not as far as I know.

FYI, dealer completed inspection of my car a week or so ago. My clutch was in good condition when they examined it soit stayed in. TOB was not in that bad condition, but did have some play and slight noise. Mechanic stated the pressure plate was not in adequate condition and it was replaced. All warranty work, even though I agreed to pay for the TOB when they requested.

Definitely feels better than it did before. Less harsh overall, but the clutch pedal noise is completely gone. They told me pivot point had to be cleaned and related with a better heavy duty grease.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk
sato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 03:34 PM   #570
smg1138

Drives: 2013 Raven FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sato View Post
FYI, dealer completed inspection of my car a week or so ago. My clutch was in good condition when they examined it soit stayed in. TOB was not in that bad condition, but did have some play and slight noise. Mechanic stated the pressure plate was not in adequate condition and it was replaced. All warranty work, even though I agreed to pay for the TOB when they requested.

Definitely feels better than it did before. Less harsh overall, but the clutch pedal noise is completely gone. They told me pivot point had to be cleaned and related with a better heavy duty grease.

Was the warranty work covered under bumper to bumper or powertrain? Just asking because I'm still covered under the powertrain warranty, but my dealer refused to cover my throwout bearing problem. Now it has totally failed and I'm having to get my FRS towed to a friends garage so we can replace it. Needless to say, I'm not happy with Beaman Toyota right now.
smg1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 05:26 PM   #571
sato

Drives: Dodge Patitas
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by smg1138 View Post
Was the warranty work covered under bumper to bumper or powertrain? Just asking because I'm still covered under the powertrain warranty, but my dealer refused to cover my throwout bearing problem. Now it has totally failed and I'm having to get my FRS towed to a friends garage so we can replace it. Needless to say, I'm not happy with Beaman Toyota right now.
FYI, this is the second dealer I went to. The first one said that the noise was due to shift fork lubrication, lubrication is maintenance, maintenance not covered under warranty, therefore, they would charge ME a full day's labor to drop the transmission and INSPECT or lube, so I left. The second dealer went in to investigate.

Well, they initially told me that the TOB was a wear item and that I had to cover its cost ($30), but they ended up not charging me at all. All was covered under powertrain warranty, since my car was a tad under 60k miles.

If they are denying coverage, take it elsewhere if you can. Still, take that issue up with Toyota corporate in a written way, if possible.

sato is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sato For This Useful Post:
smg1138 (04-06-2017)
Old 04-07-2017, 06:18 PM   #572
Tiago

Drives: 2014 BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxyg3n View Post
Ok so I watched the video and it's absolutely not what I'm describing. I'm thinking mine is just literally a pedal squeak which still doesn't seem normal since it started when the car was basically brand new.
It is very annoying since it makes the pedal feel crunchy which in turn messes with my shifts due to bad clutch engagement feel.

Here's a vid, anyone with this problem had a fix?

This problem just started for me today, did you ever figure out what was wrong?
Old 04-08-2017, 12:27 AM   #573
Oxyg3n

Drives: 2017 BRZ - WRB
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiago View Post
This problem just started for me today, did you ever figure out what was wrong?
I just left it as is for the time being because it has gotten really cold in the past few months and when weather is below 50F, the problem is almost eliminated. I'm sure it will come back again as summer is approaching, then I'll probably bring it in to check.
Oxyg3n is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Oxyg3n For This Useful Post:
Tiago (04-11-2017)
Old 04-11-2017, 10:28 AM   #574
Tiago

Drives: 2014 BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxyg3n View Post
I just left it as is for the time being because it has gotten really cold in the past few months and when weather is below 50F, the problem is almost eliminated. I'm sure it will come back again as summer is approaching, then I'll probably bring it in to check.

Thanks!, the noise stopped for me now as well, I'll try adding the grease where everyone is saying to add it if it comes back.