follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > Northern California

Northern California NorCal

User Tag List

Old 09-14-2013, 01:18 AM   #1
forzajuve
Banned

Drives: Ultramarine 86 - 6MT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Two traffic citations in 1 1/2 months for Window Tint, California

So I realize tinting my windows to 20% is asking for attention in California but I nonetheless wanted to briefly share my experiences in the past two months.

July 27, 2013 - Pulled over by a CHP. Given a traffic citation because my tint was too dark @ 20%. I asked the officer how long to expect the court order in the mail and he said about 3-5 weeks. I received my court order in the mail at the end of August, which gave me options on how I can deal with the ticket. It also stated that I have to deal with the ticket by October 20, 2013 (no later).

September 13, 2013 - Still have not fixed my tint because of the October 20, 2013 deadline plus I have more important expenses to deal with (understandable I think). Anyways, I was pulled over again by a CHP because my tint was too dark @ 20%. He told me why I was pulled over, tint. I said to him, Officer I was actually already pulled over a little over a month ago for the same exact reason and I have until October 20th to fix the tint. I handed him the ticket and his response was, "I need your license and registration and I will be right back." He came back with a second traffic citation for me to fix my window tint despite the initial ticket and his attitude kind of sucked.

Anyways, this is my brief experience which I feel is somewhat unreasonable. The part that is unreasonable? Receiving an unfortunate second traffic citation within the window of opportunity the court order already gave me to deal with my first ticket and the tint laws in general (but that is probably another thread to which will result in never-ending complaining). Again, I understand California's tint "laws" and I got 20% tint despite the laws, but the fact that this guy gave me a second citation after physically seeing my first one is kind of ridiculous. I was respectful and courteous as I always am with police officers. Completely contrary to public policy...

At the moment I think tint is obviously more trouble than it is worth (at least in CA). Most likely I will buy a cheap steamer, and remove the tint which is far cheaper than paying TWO $220 tickets, which would close both cases.

Please respond and share if you have had any similar unjust experiences. No flaming please.

Last edited by forzajuve; 09-15-2013 at 04:17 AM.
forzajuve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 01:42 AM   #2
IgnitionGundam

Drives: Silver Ignition Gundam
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Go to court for the second ticket. They will probably dismiss it. hopefully.
Old 09-14-2013, 01:45 AM   #3
forzajuve
Banned

Hopefully indeed. Have you had this problem or anything similar? What is odd is all my buddies that have mazdas, lexus and bmw's have 30% or 20% tint and they have never been pulled over in the 4-6 years they have had their cars. I don't get it... such bad luck... :[
Old 09-14-2013, 01:56 AM   #4
IgnitionGundam

Drives: Silver Ignition Gundam
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by forzajuve View Post
Hopefully indeed. Have you had this problem or anything similar? What is odd is all my buddies that have mazdas, lexus and bmw's have 30% or 20% tint and they have never been pulled over in the 4-6 years they have had their cars. I don't get it... such bad luck... :[
Nope hasn't happened to me. But wasn't the first ticket just a fix it ticket? Once you fix it the case is dismissed and you pay the 10 dollar fee. I would the receipt on the second case in court and plea your case. The date of the citation, how you showed the officer the receipt of your first fix it and the time period you had to fix it by. Any reasonable judge would just dismiss the second ticket as well. good luck!
Old 09-14-2013, 02:02 AM   #5
Porsche

Drives: 2013 BRZ Ltd. MT
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I'll be surprised if the court actually demands that you pay for both tickets; just pay the initial ticket and the second ticket will be deleted. Otherwise, if they refuse to delete the second ticket, just go to court and ask the judge to dismiss the second ticket after proving that you successfully complied with the first ticket and paid that fine, and removed the too-dark tint.

Now, for the tint. It's wrong for you to have it.

The police officer's right to LIVE outweighs your desire for privacy, coolness, whatever. The officer NEEDS to be able to SEE you and SEE your HANDS as he approaches your vehicle. The officer's life depends on it.

Just last week an officer in Michigan was shot dead while performing a traffic stop. It is dangerous work. Imagine if your spouse were a patrol officer. Every day you'd wonder whether she'd come home at the end of her shift.

Let's show them some consideration and respect. Let's make this small concession for them, shall we? We need to give them a break here, don't you think?

Imagine a world without them, if you can. Imagine what that world would be like with no one to enforce the law, and with the bad guys free to do what they like. Sit with that for a while…

We need them … and they need to be able to SEE our hands, because the hands can kill.
Porsche is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Porsche For This Useful Post:
Gixxersixxerman (09-14-2013), Kyle106 (09-14-2013), Rampage (09-14-2013), random0 (09-14-2013), Stevieray (09-14-2013), tonylop33 (09-14-2013), zoomzoomers (11-04-2013)
Old 09-14-2013, 02:30 AM   #6
forzajuve
Banned

I understand your point but I have two uncles who are police officers. I am sensitive to officer's safety by all means. I have spoken with them regarding tint and they have made that point, which I understand and makes sense from their perspective, but at the same time many other states do not have that strict of a law (Nevada for example). Moreover, dangerous things happen despite a car having tint or not. So although your emotional reasoning sounds good, logically it nonetheless imposes on other's freedoms and privacy. It is a slippery slope using your logic. Officers would be a lot safer if we didn't drive at all. Perhaps we should stop everyone from driving at night or maybe you're only allowed to drive if you are 30 or older. I am not being flippent, again I have relatives I want to come home every night but even they recognize that you shouldn't chip away at privacy and freedom for safety. Thank you for your point. Bottom line, it seems to me ultimately, California's law of 70% is excessive.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to forzajuve For This Useful Post:
MidLife&luvIt (09-26-2013), Tim_Asphalt_FRS (09-14-2013)
Old 09-14-2013, 02:33 AM   #7
suaveflooder

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 1,052 Times in 664 Posts
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
It is most likely a fix it ticket. I got one Monday and my tint isn't that dark. I have 20 in the back and 35 in the front. Ticket is $25 I think after you get it signed off.

I'm just gonna get it signed off and put the tint right back on. It's $105 for both the tint and the ticket for me. We'll worth the $$
suaveflooder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 02:38 AM   #8
forzajuve
Banned

It is a fix-it ticket, hence "traffic citation" (just another name for it). In my county there are different options. 1) Remove the tint + pay $25. 2) Contest the ticket in court. 3) Pay $220 (per citation) which will make the case closed no tint removal required.
Old 09-14-2013, 02:43 AM   #9
suaveflooder

Quote:
It is a fix-it ticket, hence "traffic citation" (just another name for it). In my county there are different options. 1) Remove the tint + pay $25. 2) Contest the ticket in court. 3) Pay $220 (per citation) which will make the case closed no tint removal required.
Don't contest it. Just get it signed off and pay the $25. Much cheaper than $220
Old 09-14-2013, 02:44 AM   #10
suaveflooder

Like I said, it'll cost you a touch over a hundred dollars to remove the tint and put it back on. Most tint shops remove it for free
Old 09-14-2013, 02:44 AM   #11
forzajuve
Banned

Yeah, I am just going to remove it from home, get it signed off then see how I am feeling afterwards. Your tinting prices in San Diego are nice! Up here in the Bay Area, they are typically $200 minimum if you want nice work done. I called over a dozen shops in a 30 mile radius of where I live and $200 was the least expensive...lol
The Following User Says Thank You to forzajuve For This Useful Post:
akahenry (03-15-2014)
Old 09-14-2013, 02:49 AM   #12
suaveflooder

Quote:
Yeah, I am just going to remove it from home, get it signed off then see how I am feeling afterwards. Your tinting prices in San Diego are nice! Up here in the Bay Area, they are typically $200 minimum if you want nice work done. I called over a dozen shops in a 30 mile radius of where I live and $200 was the least expensive...lol
Yeah, it's $80 for the front two and I have never had anything I haven't been happy with, so I am fortunate.

I would contest the second one in your case. Cop was being an ass. Make sure you have both copies (or a picture of both together) for the court. You have a time frame to take them off, you should not get a second if you are still within the timeframe
The Following User Says Thank You to suaveflooder For This Useful Post:
forzajuve (09-14-2013)
Old 09-14-2013, 02:50 AM   #13
Re~Mix

Drives: 13' Scion FRS MT
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Part of me doesn't understand why you expect any sympathy. 20% is illegal, you knew that upfront. After the first ticket you drove around for 7 weeks instead of taking care of it.

If you don't want to deal with power tripping officers, don't give them an easy reason to pull you over.
Re~Mix is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Re~Mix For This Useful Post:
ein311 (09-15-2013), strat61caster (10-16-2013), wrb (09-14-2013)
Old 09-14-2013, 02:56 AM   #14
forzajuve
Banned

You probably don't understand because I never asked nor did I ever expect any sympathy. Soooo yeah. If you READ what I wrote you would/should have never written what you just did.
The Following User Says Thank You to forzajuve For This Useful Post:
MidLife&luvIt (09-26-2013)