follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 04-15-2013, 11:45 AM   #1
akuhei

Drives: Raven M/T FR-S
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Cusco Oil Cooler

Wasnt quite sure where to put this, but thought here with the FI stuff might be okay. Cusco released their oil cooler (MT only) for the FRS/BRZ last night. Instead of another radiator surface, theirs links into the normal radiator piping for the car and runs on a plate at your oil filter to cool the oil. The Japanese website can be found below.

http://www.cusco.co.jp/products/etc-parts/86brz_mt.html

What are people's thoughts on this? Is it a viable option for keeping the oil cool in hotter areas? It seems inviting with its lack of adding another system in front of the radiator.

Quoted from their website (using the translation from google chrome) -
"Benefits of water-cooled engine oil cooler
· Since the cooling based on the cooling water circulation system by the radiator with a high and stable cooling performance is provided to the original car engine oil cooling stable and reliable at all times is possible.
• Because not install the radiator core cooling before air-cooled air conditioning capacitor like, there is almost no impact on the performance of the radiator cooling and air conditioning .
-Oil line to the core without cooling air-cooled like longer, because there is almost an extension of the oil line or increase the load on the hydraulic system, there is almost no degradation of reliability, such as oil leaks . By keeping a high pressure also you can normally performed properly to ensure lubrication and cooling of the engine oil circulation .
• You can run, unlike air-cooled engine oil cooling is carried out by circulating cooling water if the engine is spinning without relying on the traveling wind . Of engine oil cooling is possible even when the vehicle is stopped or when congestion that is midsummer.
· Unlike the air-cooled engine oil cooling is possible even in the running efficiently (under high outside temperature) hot summer . On the other hand it is possible to warm the engine oil with an increase in temperature of the cooling water (ambient temperature conditions is low) (early warm-up) winter . That remain stable until early speedy suitable temperature is raised to the temperature of the engine oil at low temperatures even when I can.
• In the event of a crash at the time of the event of circuit racing, such as air-cooled oil cooler mounted in the bumper type oil would leak such as rupture of the oil lines and the oil cooler core damage even seemingly minor crash risk of being non-self-propelled entails. Water-cooled engine oil cooler Cusco is also safe when I crash the event of not mounted in the bumper. Also does not require any processing of the bumper also. It is easy to mount in the engine room .

Eliminate the disadvantages of water-cooled oil cooler!
Testing water temperature is also reduced further.

☆ though it is reasonable and easy to install water-cooled! Outstanding reliability.
⇒ and tested thoroughly studied the circular configuration of the 86 & BRZ engine and type FA20, providing the core cooling water-cooled in the engine oil filter with engine oil cooler water-cooled 86 & BRZ Cusco prevent a loss of oil pressure and less oil piping, cooling water at the same time We also provide ease of installation when installed together to achieve high reliability and low cost performance and by the shortest distance lines may also have.
Water-cooled oil cooler typical structural core complex and expensive cooling, cooling water piping oil separate dedicated more complex models to increase the price further . Also decreases reliability by desorption cumbersome and also accompanied by a significant part of mounting the minute, increase the pipe. Dazzling them I have to eliminate the disadvantages .

☆ demonstrate the effect on the test circuit, the synergistic effect also decreases water temperature more!
⇒ actual driving tests on the track by Honjo (vehicles equipped with supercharged Cusco) Cusco 86 demo car. Car not installed water-cooled engine oil cooler Cusco oil temperature rises to about 130 ° around each time laps . Vehicles equipped with water-cooled oil cooler oil temperature stable Cusco (110 ~ 115 ℃) about near constant value even laps were.
There are differences even water temperature was measured at the same time further vehicles not mounted engine oil cooler, water-cooled Cusco increases with oil temperature with each lap, stable at just before 100 ℃ although, vehicles equipped with engine oil cooler, water-cooled Cusco is not I am about 5 ℃ low temperature stable than vehicles equipped with the.
Reason and stable temperature water temperature is lower by mounting of the engine oil cooler, water-cooled Cusco, there are two air bubbles' ※ cavitation by bypassing part in front thermostat cooling water line dedicated to the oil cooler in the cooling water ( heat dissipation effect of the cooling water was bypassed by exposing the body to the outside away from the hot engine cooling water lines can be increased further since point) 'is suppressed. ※ phenomenon of cooling performance is reduced fine bubble cavitation occurs in the cooling water =. Original performance can not be exhibited absorption and heat dissipation performance of the cooling water is reduced by prone near the thermostat and water pump change is likely to occur in the water flow and pressure of the cooling water, foam is generated."
Attached Images

Attached Images
File Type: pdf cusco_86&BRZ_watercooledoilcooler.pdf (1.19 MB, 1593 views)

Akuhei's Blog
"Inconceivable"
akuhei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 11:47 AM   #2
Huehuecoyotl
Banned

Drives: Perrin/VORTECH Supercharger TestBRZ
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
this will just make me need a bigger radiator
Huehuecoyotl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Huehuecoyotl For This Useful Post:
akuhei (04-15-2013), SkullWorks (04-15-2013)
Old 04-15-2013, 11:49 AM   #3
Sportsguy83
I Love custom Turbo kits

Drives: Limited BRZ
Thanked 8,343 Times in 4,361 Posts
Mentioned: 441 Post(s)
Tagged: 12 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by akuhei View Post
Wasnt quite sure where to put this, but thought here with the FI stuff might be okay. Cusco released their oil cooler (MT only) for the FRS/BRZ last night. Instead of another radiator surface, theirs links into the normal radiator piping for the car and runs on a plate at your oil filter to cool the oil. The Japanese website can be found below.
This and a Koyo radiator sound like a winner to me (pending actual cooling data).

BUT, still freaking expensive.

Last edited by Sportsguy83; 04-16-2013 at 09:49 AM.
Sportsguy83 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Sportsguy83 For This Useful Post:
akuhei (04-15-2013), BolognaWalrus (08-30-2013), Mongo (04-15-2013), Murseman27 (04-16-2013), Nothing (05-20-2013), SkullWorks (04-15-2013)
Old 04-15-2013, 11:53 AM   #4
SkullWorks
Banned

Drives: SSM LT MT BRZ
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I would prefer a system like this on a DD car, many people do not realize the danger in OVER cooling the oil in their cars. Oil needs to get hot enough to boil out the fuel and water tat accumulates, not to mention operating temp dictates viscosity...blah blah blah...

As gm... I mean Huehuecoyotl pointed out you are adding more heat to the water cooling system with this product, so make sure there is head room there....but this will obviously work well with an upgraded Radiator aswell...so plan accordingly...
SkullWorks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SkullWorks For This Useful Post:
Calum (04-15-2013), charged86 (04-15-2013)
Old 04-15-2013, 11:59 AM   #5
akuhei

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsguy83 View Post
This and a Koyo radiator sound like a big winner to me.

BUT, still freaking expensive.
I agree, definitely expensive, though the FBM cooler is $650, and Perrin is $690 (cusco is roughly $600 before shipping). But seems like it would keep clutter down. I am interested..dont know if i can justify the cost though...

Akuhei's Blog
"Inconceivable"

Last edited by akuhei; 04-15-2013 at 01:12 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to akuhei For This Useful Post:
Sportsguy83 (04-15-2013)
Old 04-15-2013, 12:02 PM   #6
Mongo

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huehuecoyotl View Post
this will just make me need a bigger radiator
I second this. A bigger radiator would seem necessary as the oem version is not designed handle that much work. But this style system does sound appealing.

As normal time will tell. I'll let someone else be the lab rat on this one.
Mongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 08:07 PM   #7
akuhei

Any thoughts from others as to how well this would work?

Akuhei's Blog
"Inconceivable"
Old 04-15-2013, 08:36 PM   #8
charged86

Drives: whiteout gt86 2015 IS350fsport
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
This is how my 1.8t cools itself. I can build a air cooled oil cooler for loads less than 650. Setrab makes an sandwich plate. http://www.setrabusa.com/oilfilteradapters.html
Old 04-15-2013, 08:53 PM   #9
wootwoot

Drives: FRS
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
I like the design. I think it should have come on the car stock. For DD, I think it would be great. For track days.... I'm not so sure. Water to oil coolers are much more efficient than the radiator type, but the heat exchanger on this unit is so small I am not sure it is up to the task of driving on the track. Perhaps someone who knows more will chime in soon.
wootwoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 09:51 PM   #10
xwd

Drives: 2013 DGM Subaru BRZ (Subie #9)
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32630

How hard is it to search for "cusco oil cooler"
xwd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 10:03 PM   #11
Jeff86

Drives: 86 (FR-S)
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Very much like the stock cooler on a K20. Why this isn't standard equipment I don't know.
Jeff86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 10:19 PM   #12
akuhei

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwx View Post
How hard is it to search for "cusco oil cooler"
No need to be mean about it. That thread hasn't been touched the 2nd of April, and the information I found was in a press release for the supercharger, dated 15April2013. I had no reason to attempt a search when I felt I had new information to share with everyone.

Akuhei's Blog
"Inconceivable"
Old 04-16-2013, 01:51 AM   #13
wootwoot

Drives: FRS
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
That other thread has no useful information in it anyway. We need someone to get one, or some data from Cusco, or something...
wootwoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 02:18 AM   #14
continuecrushing

Drives: 2013 Firestorm FRS
Thanked 2,144 Times in 1,003 Posts
Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Hmm, in for more info
continuecrushing is offline   Reply With Quote