follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 03-14-2014, 05:01 PM   #29
Akari

Drives: 2013 DGM BRZ
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TemeCal View Post
Wait. So you stated you drink and drive, and you're trying to tell me it really doesn't belong in this thread?

I stated when I leave my control options on when when I decide to turn them off. What part about lecturing people about drinking and driving do you feel belongs in a thread about traction and stability control?
Akari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 05:39 PM   #30
stugray
Banned

Drives: 2013 GBS BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,445 Times in 711 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
I have stated this before on a different thread:

If you drive (on the street) in such a way that the nannies are constantly kicking in and interfering with your "driving style" then you drive like an asshat!
stugray is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to stugray For This Useful Post:
Marchy (03-24-2014), rapidcars (03-20-2014), zoomzoomers (03-14-2014)
Old 03-14-2014, 05:58 PM   #31
Metabrz
001 of 012

Drives: MY12 NZDM Subaru BRZ "BRZ001"
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
Everything off by default unless its wet.
Old 03-14-2014, 06:30 PM   #32
navanodd

Drives: 2013 BRZ Sport-tech WRB
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I generally leave everything on except in snow/ice when not on a highway.
navanodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 08:44 PM   #33
dpesce
Young Blood

Drives: 2013 Red BRZ 2.0 Premium
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
It all depends on my mood for me. Sometimes all off, sometimes just hop in and go with all the safe stuff on.

Being used to 2 RWD cars (95 mustang, 2010 challenger) previous to this I have a bit of a feel for it all now.

However, Something I have noticed, is the Traction control almost throws me off more when I am about to yank the wheel a little to pull out of a controlled slide and it kicks in at a seemingly inopportune moment, almost making me over-correct. Maybe just my inexperience with TCS but kinda disheartens me. It however has helped me many-a-time when I overdrive a turn on a backroad I am not used to.
For the attentive driver, TCS and SC are good to have, not a necessity in my mind.
dpesce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 11:30 PM   #34
CoupedUpSubie

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Normally I have the traction control and VSC off. I came from FWD cars, and occasionally trucks. My cars have never even had ABS. TC interferes with taking off quite often as my town likes to make the road a gravel pit and the fact that studded snow tires don't seem to grip dry pavement very well. These cars are easily controlled with what I consider an intermediate understanding of driving technique and not panicking when something small happens.

If you are not sure as to if you should turn them off, leave them on and get into a driving class.
1993 Honda CB750 Nighthawk
CoupedUpSubie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 01:26 AM   #35
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,673 Times in 6,781 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericmpena View Post
I rarely turn off Traction Control completely. I figure if anything were to happen and I get in an accident...the insurance company will be able to find out if you had your traction control on or off. The BRZ has something like a "black box" which records data about your driving for a certain amount of time. So, with that being said...I keep everything turned on for the most part.
does anyone know of any cases where someone disabled traction control, and was then held liable for their accident?

i keep hearing this same statement being thrown around, but haven't read of any real-life cases of it, just wild speculation that insurance companies might do it..
Old 03-15-2014, 02:28 AM   #36
ericmpena

Drives: Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Garage
Eh, I haven't read any where they posted their insurance details, but someone recently wrecked their red FRS/BRZ with nannies off in the rain. They wanted to have some fun and pressed the gas too much when turning under an underpass from a stop light. Their car ended up sliding around and hitting. The thread is somewhere on here.
To me it's not so much about getting caught having the nannies off. My concern is putting my car and others at risk of my car if I lose control.
Old 03-15-2014, 02:30 AM   #37
ericmpena

Garage
Anyways. Probably really rare that your insurance would actually go as far as to gather data from your black box, but it will hurt your case if someone gets hurt by you and they decide to look into your last 30 seconds of driving before the accident.
Old 03-15-2014, 03:07 AM   #38
Alltezza

Drives: WRB Limited BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
@TemeCal I'm sorry about what happened, but I'm totally against drinking and driving I don't see how anyone could drive drunk especially when it's a manual transmission. I for one will never drink and drive, even though I feel like I drive like a complete douche bag in my 2005 Acura RL (cutting in front of slow drivers) I'm against that and I'm not putting other people at risk because of my dumbass decision.

Wow!
I really appreciate all the feedback you guys have given me about this.
From what I'm reading I'm probably going to have to have the default settings on or have the "nannies" on as this will actually be the first car that I actually will buy with my own money and since I will probably be the only owner of the BRZ unless Subaru/Toyota or another Japanese car company releases another light weight FR.

Anyways I feel like when I'm in the TL or RL I feel like I'm being really babysat like the car just basically does everything for me I don't know if it's Honda's "SH-AWD" thing or what. I hardly ever slip or slide around it could be the fact that they're both HEAVY and AWD I don't really know. I'm just thinking that since those cars have all those high tech features or whatever that the car might be babysitting the shit out of me and I don't even know it, especially with my aggressive driving at times.

If I do get the BRZ I'm expecting a lot out of this since I've had a lot of experience driving the RSX (Type S) and if you were to ask me even though its an FF I've had A LOT OF FUN driving the car I hope I'm not disappointed but I doubt that'll happen since I've read everywhere and from motortrend about how great of a car the BRZ is.
Alltezza is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Alltezza For This Useful Post:
TemeCal (03-15-2014)
Old 03-15-2014, 03:29 AM   #39
G_Ride

Drives: Some kind of Subaru
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-ROR View Post
On the street mine is always on the defaults. I see no reason to switch it from the default settings. On the track everything is off.
Same here
G_Ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 03:33 AM   #40
ericmpena

Garage
I'll tell you what, it's fine to turn the nannies off every now and then and have a little fun...but by all means don't get in the habit of driving with them off. Have some safe fun, and then turn them back on. Simple as that.
Old 03-15-2014, 05:18 AM   #41
Ganthrithor

Drives: '13 BRZ, '06 997, Other Things(TM)
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
For a while I drove with all the systems off all the time. I found the computers kind of annoying even during daily driving. To be honest I've never encountered a situation with the systems full-off where I felt like I'd have been better off with them on: I just find the car really easy to drive and quite forgiving. I'm also used to driving cars that don't have traction or stability control at all, so the idea of driving without them really doesn't bother me. Lately though I feel like I know the computer intervention thresholds a little better, so I usually keep the car in sport mode now and just drive based on the systems' limits. I've gotten to the point where I can usually drive right up to sport mode's slip angle limits without triggering the computers, so that works fine and I have no real reason to turn the things full off for normal driving anymore.

If I'm going out to drive for fun I'll turn the systems completely off if I want to move the car around a little more, although "full-off" is a bit of a misnomer in these cars since I still get that traction light blinking at me way more often than I'd like. It seems to really hate anything fun: wheel lift, trail braking, accelerating on lumpy surfaces, you name it, TC hates it even when it's supposed to be asleep :\

Oh well, at least it doesn't usually complain about power oversteer as long as you're on a smooth surface with all the wheels on the ground.
Ganthrithor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 12:16 PM   #42
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,673 Times in 6,781 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
there's been one time so far where i left all the nannies on, and pushed the car too hard one morning on icy roads without being prepared for the consequences-- traction kicked in and kept the tail out of a very hard-packed snow pile.. but it was my stupid self that got me into the situation, and had i turned everything off, the consequences would have been well-deserved, both for how hard i was pushing the car, and also for not being prepared to control the car..

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericmpena View Post
Eh, I haven't read any where they posted their insurance details, but someone recently wrecked their red FRS/BRZ with nannies off in the rain. They wanted to have some fun and pressed the gas too much when turning under an underpass from a stop light. Their car ended up sliding around and hitting. The thread is somewhere on here.
To me it's not so much about getting caught having the nannies off. My concern is putting my car and others at risk of my car if I lose control.
i understand there is always the possibility.. and i've read the thread you're referring to, i just keep seeing the same warning, but no one has actually been hit with it(and not just talking about the 86's-- if someone knows of any car brand this has happened to, i'd like to hear about it), which makes me think that insurance companies care less then what we think they do..