follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 10-20-2012, 12:50 PM   #1807
dabocx

Drives: Scion FRS
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Went in to make noise, sadly the fact that i dont have a CEL means they wont do anything. However they said they would take my info and get back to me if anything came up.

Their advise was to wait for CEL and come in when i get it.
dabocx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 01:39 PM   #1808
Kieranz

Drives: Tribeca, GBS BRZ-L
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Update: Got my car back from the dealer after an overnight stay. I was pretty lucky as the field tech made it to my dealership the next day to do the ECU flash (P00017).

Anyway car is idling fine now, but it seems to be down on power. Not pulling as hard at lower or higher RPM. I don't think anything is wrong per se, but I definitely can notice it. Not sure if the ECU needs to relearn your driving habits and retune itself within the first 100 miles again.

The throttle mapping also has seemed to change. I stalled the car pulling from away from a stop light twice today. I have never stalled it once before the flash.

Has anyone notices this after a reflash or replace of the ECU?
Kieranz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 03:11 PM   #1809
Sargy
Long Distance Driver

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
All I got is an Idle that is now stable at 650 Rpm
Old 10-20-2012, 03:21 PM   #1810
ftc~brz
Done

Drives: WRB BRZ
Thanked 4,936 Times in 2,101 Posts
Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 7 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sargy View Post
All I got is an Idle that is now stable at 650 Rpm
Baby steps! See u 2morrow!
ftc~brz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 04:26 PM   #1811
killercl0wnfish

Drives: fr-s
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
droped fr-s off today delership was shocked about what my car was doin and said sorry and pretty much gave me 100% respect and keeped sayin sorry ( guess workin for the toyota factory played apart in that ) ...... but they gave me a loaner car its a 2013 camaro so im pretty happy so far just hope they find out what my car is doin......

is any one ealse getting a really loud knock/tick around 2k-5k rpm while drivin almost sounds like a stck lifter not a injecter.....
killercl0wnfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 05:45 AM   #1812
kaitak98

Drives: '13 GBS BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieranz View Post
Update: Got my car back from the dealer after an overnight stay. I was pretty lucky as the field tech made it to my dealership the next day to do the ECU flash (P00017).

Anyway car is idling fine now, but it seems to be down on power. Not pulling as hard at lower or higher RPM. I don't think anything is wrong per se, but I definitely can notice it. Not sure if the ECU needs to relearn your driving habits and retune itself within the first 100 miles again.

The throttle mapping also has seemed to change. I stalled the car pulling from away from a stop light twice today. I have never stalled it once before the flash.

I really hope the cure isn't worse than the disease. I'm trying to sked a reflash right now. I want the car to be like when I first drove it. Ahhhggg.
kaitak98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 05:53 AM   #1813
OmarGC
My FR-S has 5 gears

Drives: FRS/280z/Tundra
Thanked 1,065 Times in 572 Posts
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieranz View Post

Had my ecu replaced and reflashed due to p00017 code about a month ago roughly... and yeah, I definitely feel like the car now lacks power. I said it from the day I got it back to current date.

2JZ - 6870 - stock block - 1000whp?

Instagram: 2jzus
OmarGC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OmarGC For This Useful Post:
eurospeed (10-21-2012)
Old 10-21-2012, 06:00 AM   #1814
jesperswe

Drives: GT86
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmarGC View Post
Had my ecu replaced and reflashed due to p00017 code about a month ago roughly... and yeah, I definitely feel like the car now lacks power. I said it from the day I got it back to current date.
That doesn't sound right, would be devastating if the car lost power when getting it flashed Get on a dyno
jesperswe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 06:13 AM   #1815
OmarGC
My FR-S has 5 gears

Drives: FRS/280z/Tundra
Thanked 1,065 Times in 572 Posts
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesperswe View Post
That doesn't sound right, would be devastating if the car lost power when getting it flashed Get on a dyno
My original stock map vs. stock map they gave me after the fix... definite difference. Currently, I couldn't give you a dynoplot on the post fix tune.

2JZ - 6870 - stock block - 1000whp?

Instagram: 2jzus

Last edited by OmarGC; 10-21-2012 at 06:17 AM. Reason: edited for safety
OmarGC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 07:43 AM   #1816
Kieranz

Drives: Tribeca, GBS BRZ-L
Quote:
How many miles do you have on it now? So your implying that the powerband doesn't loosen up over time? Bummer.

I was thinking that potentially the car drove this way the first 1000 miles, but I didn't notice it because i kept it under 4k.

Also if this new ECU flash is supposedly being programmed to every new vehicle off the line, that should mean that any new car should have this mapping.
Kieranz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 02:40 PM   #1817
Lonewolf

Drives: Moped
Thanked 2,128 Times in 1,193 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Great, so their fix to get rid of these cel issues was probably to pull a bunch of timing...

***In addition to raising the rpms at idle and giving the ecu a broader tolerance window before it throws a fault code...

I remember when this happened to the Mazda RX8 a few years back...there were multiple factory reflashes, and over time it was discovered that the car was not making anywhere near the advertised power after all the flashes and tuning changes made by Mazda.

Last edited by Lonewolf; 10-21-2012 at 05:39 PM. Reason: Addition
Lonewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lonewolf For This Useful Post:
eurospeed (10-21-2012)
Old 10-21-2012, 03:25 PM   #1818
Rob_g

Drives: 2010 4Runner Trail
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolf View Post
Great, so their fix to get rid of these cel issues was probably to pull a bunch of timing...

I remember when this happened to the Mazda RX8 a few years back...there were multiple factory reflashes, and over time it was discovered that the car was not making anywhere near the advertised power after all the flashes and tuning changes made by Mazda.
I would not agree with this. My FR-S, with a new ECU, seems to run ok above 2500rpm and does not seem to lack power as long as it's in the right gear. However there is definitely a throttle glitch/engine bog that happens at lower rpm during normal acceleration and the idle dip is really bad, maybe even worse now on my FR-S. I've been told my 'disatisfaction' has been escalated to a very high level with Toyota Canada, but then nobody seems to know what this is going to accomplish. I have sudden family necessities now that make the need (and desire) to get rid of this car even greater. I really hope within a week the car will be gone.

Rob
Rob_g is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rob_g For This Useful Post:
eurospeed (10-21-2012)
Old 10-21-2012, 06:34 PM   #1819
mlrsguy1982

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ (World Rally Blue)
Im really starting to hate this car.. yeah I understand its a first year production car, and that its engine is in its begininng stages in tryouts.. But seriously... How many of us have had the same exact problem, the same noises, the same everything... I love this car and the way it handles.. This is just getting rediculous, and this new BS ecuflash from the dealer is BS also.. WTF... Already had the damn car since august and got the idle dip with the CEL. Took it to dealer and spent freaking 3 weeks in service while I drove a pos forester with cel's all on it. Got the car back with the same replacement parts / Updated ECUand was told it was good to go. Now 3400 miles after, the car started idling at 300rpm and shaking like a muscle car at the track.. Then 60 miles later, the damn cel came on again.. dude wtf.. how can Toyota and Subaru know about these problems for now a long time and still no damn fix.. I mean this forum doesnt have everyone that bought the frs and brz, but still just for those of us that own either one, we all at some point have the same problem.. Now I got to take it back to the dealer and have them reflash Again and say everything is ok just to have the same problem again.. I gonna probably trade for a wrx.. hate this damn car but love it at the same time.. sorry for the venting guys lol
mlrsguy1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mlrsguy1982 For This Useful Post:
Alienate (10-22-2012), eurospeed (10-21-2012)
Old 10-21-2012, 07:20 PM   #1820
Lonewolf

Drives: Moped
Thanked 2,128 Times in 1,193 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlrsguy1982 View Post
Im really starting to hate this car.. yeah I understand its a first year production car, and that its engine is in its begininng stages in tryouts.. But seriously... How many of us have had the same exact problem, the same noises, the same everything... I love this car and the way it handles.. This is just getting rediculous, and this new BS ecuflash from the dealer is BS also.. WTF... Already had the damn car since august and got the idle dip with the CEL. Took it to dealer and spent freaking 3 weeks in service while I drove a pos forester with cel's all on it. Got the car back with the same replacement parts / Updated ECUand was told it was good to go. Now 3400 miles after, the car started idling at 300rpm and shaking like a muscle car at the track.. Then 60 miles later, the damn cel came on again.. dude wtf.. how can Toyota and Subaru know about these problems for now a long time and still no damn fix.. I mean this forum doesnt have everyone that bought the frs and brz, but still just for those of us that own either one, we all at some point have the same problem.. Now I got to take it back to the dealer and have them reflash Again and say everything is ok just to have the same problem again.. I gonna probably trade for a wrx.. hate this damn car but love it at the same time.. sorry for the venting guys lol
Toyota/Subaru won't address this problem appropriately until people start filing safety complaints (limp mode/stalls are a safety issue) with the NHTSA...
Lonewolf is offline   Reply With Quote