follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List
go_a_way1, MisterSheep

Old 09-23-2015, 10:23 AM   #1
MisterSheep
Killed Scion

Drives: 2013 FR-S Whiteout
Thanked 7,307 Times in 4,485 Posts
Mentioned: 334 Post(s)
Tagged: 185 Thread(s)
Garage
Galaxy s6 not compatible with USB???

Hey everyone, just switched over from an iphone to a galaxy s6. When I hooked it up to listen to some music the stock headunit wasn't picking up anything. Is this because the galaxy is not compatible to the headunit to play music like my iphone did? Or is it because I was using spotify and need to get real music stored on the new phone. But, I was able to play pandora on my iphone through USB.

Anyone have a s6 and care to share with me any knowledge they have? I already hate the stock headunit but now this makes it even more sh*tty

Edit: I revise my case, when I connect my Galaxy to the headunit using USB. I CANNOT hit the USB tab on the headunit.
Originally Posted by KR-S 86 View Post
What are you talking about? You just killed one of the worst brands in history according to enthusiasts. People will be worshipping you like sheep.

Last edited by MisterSheep; 09-23-2015 at 10:45 AM.
MisterSheep is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MisterSheep For This Useful Post:
thecarfilmer (05-07-2016)
Old 09-23-2015, 10:32 AM   #2
go_a_way1
Not Bаnned Anymore

Drives: Heavily Modified FRS
Thanked 8,274 Times in 4,797 Posts
Mentioned: 355 Post(s)
Tagged: 374 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterSheep View Post
Hey everyone, just switched over from an iphone to a galaxy s6. When I hooked it up to listen to some music the stock headunit wasn't picking up anything. Is this because the galaxy is not compatible to the headunit to play music like my iphone did? Or is it because I was using spotify and need to get real music stored on the new phone. But, I was able to play pandora on my iphone through USB.

Anyone have a s6 and care to share with me any knowledge they have? I already hate the stock headunit but now this makes it even more sh*tty
Bluetooth works fine with my S6 edge, but never tried USB music? Why not use bluetooth? I do know my old S4 would not play any sounds other then music from the player on the phone. Maybe its a android issue? try watching a video and see if there is sound. I know my Edge didnt play any sound during videos via bluetooth but my new headunit does?
go_a_way1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 10:44 AM   #3
MisterSheep
Killed Scion

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by go_a_way1 View Post
Bluetooth works fine with my S6 edge, but never tried USB music? Why not use bluetooth? I do know my old S4 would not play any sounds other then music from the player on the phone. Maybe its a android issue? try watching a video and see if there is sound. I know my Edge didnt play any sound during videos via bluetooth but my new headunit does?
The bluetooth in our cars is sooooooo damn horrible with the stock headunit. I revise my case, when I connect my Galaxy to the headunit using USB. I CANNOT hit the USB tab on the headunit.
What are you talking about? You just killed one of the worst brands in history according to enthusiasts. People will be worshipping you like sheep.
Old 09-23-2015, 10:54 AM   #4
NyC Zn6

Drives: 10 Series #974 6m/t
Thanked 1,141 Times in 669 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
It works fine for me but I have the 2014 HU in mines. Maybe needs an upgrade in the firmware if possible.
NyC Zn6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 10:55 AM   #5
Chimera

Drives: FRS
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I don't have a Samsung, but I know verizon roms do some thing where they connect in installer disk mode before switching to media transfer protocol (MTP) mode. you can select it from the usb mode selector too. It's to grant driver support for PCs.
Have you ensured you are in MTP mode?
Chimera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 11:02 AM   #6
MisterSheep
Killed Scion

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimera View Post
I don't have a Samsung, but I know verizon roms do some thing where they connect in installer disk mode before switching to media transfer protocol (MTP) mode. you can select it from the usb mode selector too. It's to grant driver support for PCs.
Have you ensured you are in MTP mode?
Pretend you are explaining this to a 5 year old.. I don't know much about electronics.
Old 09-23-2015, 11:11 AM   #7
Chimera

Drives: FRS
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Pretend you are explaining this to a 5 year old.. I don't know much about electronics.
The answer will depend a little on the OS (operating system) your Samsung is running, but presuming you are on
Android 5
AND have a cable that's data enabled (not all micro USB are made the same, to check use your cable on your PC, if the PC prompts you to select what to do with the phone then it has a data pin, if not it only is able to charge.. you'll find this in cheaper cables)

then in the notifications area (get to here by pulling down from the top usually while the phone is unlocked) while plugged in you should see a notification that notes the USB mode.. you might see charging, installer, camera, mtp, or sometimes other things depending on the rom, for example USB debug or ADB interface.. but those are less likely.
anyways, you want it on MTP mode generally for use with media devices. it should make it work LIKE a usb drive, and provide the SD partition for reading the the head unit. if you have local media then it should be in a folder named MUSIC.

For playing apps over USB you would need supporting firmware on the head unit for that kind of communication. or iphone that may or may not exist.. idk.. for android the creation of android auto is adding in usb app support. IF all else fails, then I say for app media support from apps like Pandora and tunein you may have to use Bluetooth in which the phone is doing the processing to compile the audio stream and the head unit takes it and plays.

I hope that helps.
Chimera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 07:07 PM   #8
MisterSheep
Killed Scion

Garage
Connected it.. made sure it was in mtp mode and nothing. I was tryibg to play music and it wouldnt pkay it at all nor realize it was connected.
Old 09-23-2015, 07:25 PM   #9
chezzy79

Drives: 2015 BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I have a 2015 BRZ and Samsung S6 Edge, and have the same problem. I just use AUX in now, I can't stand the sub-par quality of bluetooth
chezzy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 07:51 PM   #10
MisterSheep
Killed Scion

Garage
Bullshit that scion/subaru would make there headunits only compatible for Apple products
Old 09-23-2015, 07:56 PM   #11
Toyarzee
Shibby!

Drives: '14 White FR-S, '01 turbo mini taco
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
With anything beyond Bluetooth 2.1, you shouldn't be losing quality as the transfer rate is equally quick as traditional USB 2.0. I don't understand the fuss with bluetooth, the stock head unit and speakers can't produce a sound with any greater clarity or range regardless of connection type. Y go through all this headache?

Local files on phone storage or sd card at a 128 to 256k or beyond sound perfect. Streaming services will never match the quality of your turntable at home with $300 needle and nice floor speakers lol...
Toyarzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 07:58 PM   #12
Toyarzee
Shibby!

Drives: '14 White FR-S, '01 turbo mini taco
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Bullshit that scion/subaru would make there headunits only compatible for Apple products
It ain't scion, you'll find it's the same with hyundai, jeep, lexus, audi, vw..... it's a function of apple's USB and software structure with less capacity for the greater complexities android USB connections are capable of. Try hooking your apple into a computer to use it as a flash drive and... oh wait nvm
Toyarzee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Toyarzee For This Useful Post:
Chimera (09-24-2015)